Pirates Update

General Grizz

TownSquareSteve said:
Unfortunatly this seems like one of those "you can't make everybody happy" scenerios. If PotC gets a major rehab which it should, nothing much will probably be added, just updated (i.e. sound, water pumps, paint, etc), which will make the traditionalists very happy, and the thrill seekers very unhappy.
I am a traditionalist and would not like if PotC had a whole different story when it reopened, i want the new digital sound and some updated animatronics and the idea of the indy type blow gun effects would be nice, but don't change the essence of a historic ride. The thrills should come from new attractions, not from historic ones.

As far as HMH i'm all up for it. I have seen what they do at DL every year and it is pretty amazing, I would love for MK to have a little more holiday in that area of the park :xmas: . As far as rehabing HM, same as with PotC, update but don't change, there is a awesome story that goes along with that attraction (even if some don't believe it exists) and I don't want to lose that.

Steve :cool:
From what we've been hearing, Captain Jack Sparrow may be added to the attraction. . . .

Splashman

-SIR- said:
Honestly I think the Mansion is more in need of a rehab then Pirates... I think pirates needs a major re-working... theres nothing really *wrong* with the ride but it can be SOO much better... so they should do a good rehab of HM get a new sound system and better lighting...get rid of the carnival glow in the dark spiders and such... and put some more modern/eeire effects in... especiall where the staircase is... there is nothing good there... Pirates needs new audio allso...more convincing fire... maybe a few more drops to keep it more thrilling b/c lots of people new to disney are dissapointed with it lately...its my fave tho

Don't count on any more drops for POTC. The only reason there is a drop now is because the Walt Disney Railroad is in the way so you get around the railroad by dropping beneath it. Similar to the small drop in the Laughing Place on Splash Mountain.

KumbaRider

I agree POTC needs an update, however, I'm not so sure George would allow it....
But if he did, it would be nice to see updated sound and more animated AAs, along with a few additional needed improvements, however, by no means should they change the layout or storyline of the ride.....just fix it with newer special effects and so on.....and DO NOT add any movie related crap please! The movie was terrible!

artdude323

One thing that's currently holding them back is the lack of current licensing contract with Burton for merchandise rights. Anyone who's a regular at Disneyland can verify that the NBC merch was pulled unceremoniously from the shelves of Le Bat En Rouge, because Disney had started using Burton's original concept type drawings on merchandise, and they never had the rights to do that. So when the current licensing contract with Disney ended, he didn't sign another one.

Having said that, it seems that even though there will not be a HMH event this year at DL, there MAY be an RSP and Limited Edition merchandise available. Either the current LE contract is still in force, or But=rton signed a Limited contract.

The reason I got for WDW not taking HMH was two fold. First, the execs were lackluster about it, and were outbid for the props and sets (which had been made and were ready to install) by Tokyo. Tokyo was very enthusiastic, and knew it would be the big hit it was there last year.

The other reason, and the reason they were so-so about bidding on the overlay, was the difference in parks. Disneyland has a GREAT number of repeat, local guests, and can afford to close one of their major attractions for 5 months of the year every year - most people who go and didn't know it was HMH,. will return 6 months later when it isn't. Disneyland is far less of a "destination" than WDW.

Most guests who come to WDW come JUST to WDW, for a week, once in their lives, or once every 5 years. The Goth and Burton-fan community is much smaller (or much less obvious) in Orlando parks. the typical audience through November and December at WDW is family oriented, and wants to see decorations, trees, choirs, traditional Christmas things. HMH just doiesn't fit that image. there have been several shops open in various locations for NBC merchandise, and it just doesn't sell in Florida. So - no one wants to commit to the huge expense of bringing HMH to WDW, it's not worth losing a job if it doesn't work. Sad, but the way of many things at Disney these days.

And look for POTC to close - very soon, and for quite a while - for a rehab for structural repairs and things like that. No major changes to the show are definite (that I know about), but there are plenty of rumors.

jmuboy

Original Poster
If we can't get HMH I will GLADLY take a lengthy refresh and refurb of the PotC ride (ala the current IASW rehab). After that I hope the fix the lighting and sound inside the HM.

-SIR-

I agree with you all.. no movie rehab... just cleare audio, better lighting, more impressive effects etc. The sky in Pirates always amazes me... I love this ride and id hate to know it was closed for a lengthy period of time tho... as for the drops I heard pirates at DL has more drops.... im not talking about turining wdw's pirates into a thrill ride... just making it a little more exciting to those people waiting for the next drop till the end... when theres not one... plus I think the drop actually serves a purpose... at DL you are "going back in time"... though the cave and such... to the time of the pirates and the drop serves as the transition... it essentially does the same thing at WDW

Lee

Adventurer
imagineersrock said:
So what, might I ask, is holding them back from going ahead?

Well...at this point, to add it this year would require adding it to the 50th celebration...which would require a lot of reorganization of advertizing, etc. I would venture to guess that HMH will debut at Magic Kingdom, not this year, but after the 50th to drive fall attendance.

KingMickey40

it is true that they need to keep up with updating the attractions. It would be cool if they could improve the haunted mansion and pocp. yes, the lighting and sound effects could use some sprucing up. And the sky is fantastic.

And they would add captain jack Sparrow? Having a character fromt he movie being added tot he attraction the movie was BASED on, is slightly akward.

jmuboy

Original Poster
I agree that upgrading the lighting in PotC and HM isn't nice....it is NECESSARY! These systems have 1970's lighting and sound. Please help these poor rides! I mean, the HM and PotC are CLASSIC Disney rides recognized worldwide. You'd think they would get some extra TLC. Here is hoping. Plus, small enhancements like adding a Jack Sparrow AA to the PotC or adding the new leota crystal ball effect (from DL) to the HM all help keep the ride fresh without making MAJOR changes.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I`ve said it before, I`ll say it again :lol:

Put some of the effects from the DLP versions into HM and PotC. Blows both WDW and DLC away!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom