Pirates of the Caribbean Updates

PinnySmart

I do sort of miss the mermaid projection on the water, at least I thought it was neat. But as others have said, this ride is closed a lot. Two December's ago it was shut down every day except the first night we were there. This past trip it was hit or miss. Still one of my top rides at WDW, even with the sporadic issues it seems to have.
I miss it too. I think I only saw it working twice. I wish it had been done as planned. I do understand why they turned it off though. I knew about it because I read everything on here but the average guest may not have even noticed. I thought it was spooky though.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I keep hearing reports of the boats taking on water and people getting soaked when going down the hills? Anyone ride PotC lately to give us some insite of the situation.

I was there last July (Yea... But still) and the front row got soaked. I sat in the second row..... I highly suggest flying over to California to experience Pirates of the Caribbean....... JUST for that reason! :p

Thunder Fan

Anyone know why they removed the mermaid effect? I thought it was simple but effective?

We rode several times last week and did not get wet from the drop from different places in the boat. They did have the cannonball effects cranked up let in the week though!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Anyone know why they removed the mermaid effect? I thought it was simple but effective?

We rode several times last week and did not get wet from the drop from different places in the boat. They did have the cannonball effects cranked up let in the week though!
see post # 4
There was a projection effect in the water that didn't work very well. It was removed in the last refurb.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Was it a problem with it breaking down or just not worth maintaining it for the minimal visibility?
I think more of a problem with people not even knowing it was there and those that did, missing it entirely.
It just wasn't that effective to begin with.

edit: add to that people trying to take flash pictures of an effect created with light. (recipe for disaster)

ratherbeinwdw

We got soaked twice in Dec. When we got to the bottom of the drop, the back of the boat where we were, when down and a huge wave came over the side and back and soaked us. I was so wet, we had to go back to the room and change clothes and shoes. The next time, we sat in the second row. This time the boat was so side heavy that water came in the side. We had on our raincoats, but the floor had about four inches of water that came up to the top of our shoes. The poor family in front of us got so wet they were actually having to wring out their coats. They were so upset. Their six-year old was crying because her coat was soaked, and it was cold outside. I told them to go to customer services and ask for something for their child to wear so they wouldn't have to leave the party.
I told the cm that getting this wet wouldn't happen if they didn't put so many people in the boats. The first time, when the water came over the back, they had packed the boat. One row of large people were hanging over the edges. We hit the sides the entire ride and the water was only a few inches from the top edge of the boat. When I got off totally soaked, I told another cm that the loaders should be told not to overfill the boats. I was angry, but I wasn't rude, just matter of fact. His response was, "They know." I didn't get on again the rest of our trip, and that's one of my favorite rides.

Djali999

I told the cm that getting this wet wouldn't happen if they didn't put so many people in the boats. The first time, when the water came over the back, they had packed the boat. One row of large people were hanging over the edges. We hit the sides the entire ride and the water was only a few inches from the top edge of the boat. When I got off totally soaked, I told another cm that the loaders should be told not to overfill the boats. I was angry, but I wasn't rude, just matter of fact. His response was, "They know." I didn't get on again the rest of our trip, and that's one of my favorite rides.

In cases like this I encourage everyone it complain directly to a coordinator or manager. CMs know very well that the way management wants them to load up the boats is entirely unreasonable, and telling them so won't be anything they won't know. You have to tell the policymakers directly.

Seabasealpha1

We're off to DL next fall and I've always been told that the WDW version doesn't hold a candle... true?

Oh...and for that matter...I hate the fog waterfall...I'm probably in the minority...but it looks cheesy as H-E- Double hockey sticks... I just feel like they could do better...

rodserling27

We're off to DL next fall and I've always been told that the WDW version doesn't hold a candle... true?

Oh...and for that matter...I hate the fog waterfall...I'm probably in the minority...but it looks cheesy as H-E- Double hockey sticks... I just feel like they could do better...
100% true. I have not seen the DLP version, but until I do, I state that DL's version of POTC is the single greatest attraction ever built by TWDC. There, I said it!!! ;)
In fact, WDW should be ashamed at the butchered, sorry excuse they call POTC they've got in the Magic Kingdom.

Nautilus

Yup. Front row, late last fall and ended up with water going over my head. I wish that were an exaggeration, but it's not. I was able to laugh about it because I had been forewarned. However, if I had shown up to ride not knowing that this was a problem, I would have been unpleasantly surprised. Also, they have signs out front now stating that you may get wet.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I rode it 3 times at the end of February/beginning of March. First ride was our heaviest boat if you know what I mean. But only a light sprinkle luckily. However, we did touch what I assume was the bottom a couple times. The other two times had no issues at all. A couple drops of water only and no bottoming out. Actually, the last two were the best ride-throughs I have had in forever. We were not even really backed up into the treasure room waiting to unload, let alone further back.

ninjaprincesst

I have noticed you don't get near as wet if you will pay attention to how the other guests are seated before you sit down it really helps . I have noticed you get much wetter when all of the larger folk end up on the same side of the boat.

Goofyernmost

100% true. I have not seen the DLP version, but until I do, I state that DL's version of POTC is the single greatest attraction ever built by TWDC. There, I said it!!! ;)
In fact, WDW should be ashamed at the butchered, sorry excuse they call POTC they've got in the Magic Kingdom.
Except for the beginning it isn't really a whole lot different the WDW. It has the bayou section in it because it is in the New Orleans Square section of the park. WDW doesn't have a section like that so it wasn't really called for to stay in theme. Pirates were not usually spending a lot of time in the Louisiana bayou area. Some yes, but, it really is a transition from one area to another to make it fit in theme. Because of that it is longer and it has two drops instead of just one, but, again it has those because it had to go under the railroad not because it was necessary to the show.

bethymouse

So odd to hear that POTC still has issues considering it most recently had quite a lengthy refurb! ( Last year June 2015).

EOD K9

Except for the beginning it isn't really a whole lot different the WDW. It has the bayou section in it because it is in the New Orleans Square section of the park. WDW doesn't have a section like that so it wasn't really called for to stay in theme. Pirates were not usually spending a lot of time in the Louisiana bayou area. Some yes, but, it really is a transition from one area to another to make it fit in theme. Because of that it is longer and it has two drops instead of just one, but, again it has those because it had to go under the railroad not because it was necessary to the show.
I was there in 2009 and 2012 and I remember seeing a sign that said Lafitte's Landing. John Lafitte was of French ancestry who did operate in the Gulf of Mexico and essentially smuggles his loot from the New Orleans area. Therefore, it does fit. I wasn't debating your point, just bringing an actual pirate example to the table.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom