Pirates of the Caribbean Updates

Max Smart

Original Poster
We rode the Pirates ride a half dozen times, in a futile attempt to find the scary mermaid I read exists somewhere. (anyone know??) Noticed they made some more changes to the ride last year.

So disappointed they removed the classic gag where there are two pirates chasing women, then a large woman chasing a pirate. (now all 3 involve the women, armed, chasing the pirates) If they wanted to alter classic artwork in the name of censorship, I'm surprised they didn't go after the wife-auction first.

I predict they will eventually change the name of the ride to "Pirates of the CAPTAIN JACK SPARROW: The Search for CAPTAIN JACK SPARROW, starring CAPTAIN JACK SPARROW". And "we wants the redhead!" will be replaced with "we wants Captain Jack Sparrow!". And instead of luring the dog for the key, they'll be begging him to fetch Captain Jack Sparrow. And instead of a room full of treasure, Captain Jack Sparrow will be seen reveling in a room full of Captain Jack Sparrows.

Max Smart

Original Poster
I read somewhere that they had a mermaid somewhere hidden, then made it more prominent and piranha-like (after Pirates 4 movie came out), then made it into a projection this summer. Anyone know anything about this? We did hear a female voice in the rocks towards the beginning of the ride...

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I read somewhere that they had a mermaid somewhere hidden, then made it more prominent and piranha-like (after Pirates 4 movie came out), then made it into a projection this summer. Anyone know anything about this? We did hear a female voice in the rocks towards the beginning of the ride...
There was a projection effect in the water that didn't work very well. It was removed in the last refurb.

raven

We rode the Pirates ride a half dozen times, in a futile attempt to find the scary mermaid I read exists somewhere. (anyone know??) Noticed they made some more changes to the ride last year.

So disappointed they removed the classic gag where there are two pirates chasing women, then a large woman chasing a pirate. (now all 3 involve the women, armed, chasing the pirates) If they wanted to alter classic artwork in the name of censorship, I'm surprised they didn't go after the wife-auction first.

I predict they will eventually change the name of the ride to "Pirates of the CAPTAIN JACK SPARROW: The Search for CAPTAIN JACK SPARROW, starring CAPTAIN JACK SPARROW". And "we wants the redhead!" will be replaced with "we wants Captain Jack Sparrow!". And instead of luring the dog for the key, they'll be begging him to fetch Captain Jack Sparrow. And instead of a room full of treasure, Captain Jack Sparrow will be seen reveling in a room full of Captain Jack Sparrows.

Those changes were made a LONG time ago. How long has it been since you rode it last?

Mermaids were a projection on top of the water on each side of the boat just after you go through the fog screen. The effect didn't last long for some reason.

wdwgreek

The changes to the pirates chasing the women happened I believe in the 90's and the Jack Sparrow referb was in the mid 2000's. When did you last ride the attraction?

MississippiBelle

Probably because it just wasn't very good. They should have gone with the physical props as originally planned.

We only got to ride it once while the mermaid effect was in place. I liked it, but I didn't even know mermaids would be present so I didn't have any expectations going in. I remember thinking that something else was going to happen with the mermaids and being so tense waiting for a mermaid to pop up right next to the boat.

Raineman

Kind of OT, but I was at WDW last week, and they seemed to be having alot of problems with POTC. I think it was last Saturday, it was down for pretty much the whole day, and then was touch and go the next day too. Has this been happening alot with Pirates lately?

NelleBelle

Are people still getting more than a little "splash" when then go down the "waterfall"? I heard that people were getting quite a bit wetter than in previous versions of the ride and didn't know if they "adjusted" that or not.

Raineman

Are people still getting more than a little "splash" when then go down the "waterfall"? I heard that people were getting quite a bit wetter than in previous versions of the ride and didn't know if they "adjusted" that or not.
I thought there was a larger splash then there was 2 years ago when I was on it, but I wasn't sure if that was just me-now I know it's not just me lol.

Jess G

Kind of OT, but I was at WDW last week, and they seemed to be having alot of problems with POTC. I think it was last Saturday, it was down for pretty much the whole day, and then was touch and go the next day too. Has this been happening alot with Pirates lately?

I was there in October for MNSSHP and I got stuck in pirates for a half hour. All the boats kept hitting into each other till eventually everyone was stuck...

Max Smart

Original Poster
Our last 2 trips Pirates broke down at least twice for a partial day. I thought maybe I had bad luck, guess it's an ongoing problem?

Max Smart

Original Poster
I was there in October for MNSSHP and I got stuck in pirates for a half hour. All the boats kept hitting into each other till eventually everyone was stuck...
There are worse rides to be stuck on - last trip, we spent a half hour on the Nemo ride, hearing the same shrill, annoying bit of dialog over, and over, and over... at least Pirates is relaxing and peaceful. This trip, it was 15 minutes in the graveyard at Haunted Mansion - much better, but that song is STILL in my head! :)

Jess G

There are worse rides to be stuck on - last trip, we spent a half hour on the Nemo ride, hearing the same shrill, annoying bit of dialog over, and over, and over... at least Pirates is relaxing and peaceful. This trip, it was 15 minutes in the graveyard at Haunted Mansion - much better, but that song is STILL in my head! :)

Lol true!

blueboxdoctor

I do sort of miss the mermaid projection on the water, at least I thought it was neat. But as others have said, this ride is closed a lot. Two December's ago it was shut down every day except the first night we were there. This past trip it was hit or miss. Still one of my top rides at WDW, even with the sporadic issues it seems to have.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom