Pirates of the Caribbean Ride Updates

disneygirl1024

The treasure room never sparkled when we saw it. It was always a dark room with sparrow singing in the chair. And as far as the sparkle....way to discoey looking.

RSoxNo1

"When next you sail, sail with Davy Jones. It seems dead men do tell tales don't they? we will meet again So says I Davy Jones" The Sea awaits your return as does Davy Jones." repeat ad nauseum

"I'm a bad man. I'm a bad man. I'm a bad man."

What's your point?

Personally, I think this projection should be the skull and cross bones instead of either of the movie villains.

HMF

"I'm a bad man. I'm a bad man. I'm a bad man."

What's your point?

Personally, I think this projection should be the skull and cross bones instead of either of the movie villains.

He only says I'm a bad man once in the movie. Davy Jones's spiel is full of self-glorifying third-person references especially on the up ramp.

thought this was going to be about the queue enhancements coming to pirates in the future. What looks like an enhancement is actually more like routine maintenance they just have got round to doing. It does look great though, but it certainly isn't an update. Now if Disney would only stump up more money for more techs and parts, it would always look this way

It's always good to keep on Disney to do better where maintenance is concerned, but very recently there's been a lot that has been fixed on Pirates. The balancing Pirate has all his hats again, the Mayor is spitting again (along with splashes accompanying the dunking), all the Donkeys, Goats and Chickens are moving well (even the chickens "flying" around the fountain in the chase scene, which I don't think I knew even existed). It's good to acknowledge where they do well, as well as where they do poorly. More love is needed for Pirates, but it's a very good start.

RSoxNo1

He only says I'm a bad man once in the movie. Davy Jones's spiel is full of self-glorifying third-person references especially on the up ramp.

That's a function of Disney identifying who the character is because the put in a franchise that while popular, not everyone is familiar with. The Blackbeard projection also says things like, "So says I, Blackbeard".

I think Davy Jones was a better villain, that's why I like him better. He was in two movies and allowed viewers to get emotionally invested in his character. There was no connection to Blackbeard - he was the weakest part of On Stranger Tides.

The thing is, the effect itself is well done but the dialogue and relevance of the character involved is questionable. I miss the skull and cross bones before the drop, and that's why I think they should use that same skull and cross bones on the waterfall projection. If you watch the Pirates movies on Blu Ray, they have the skull and cross bones, and I believe on one of them, he makes his "appearance" on the menu emerging through water.

totodog

I also don't remember there being a door on the jail scene before. If that was the case, this would actually make a lot of sense considering the pirates are trying to get the key from the dog. Otherwise, what would they be unlocking? :)

If we don't have the key, we can't open whatever it is we don't have that it unlocks. So what purpose would be served in finding whatever need be unlocked... which we don't have... without first having found the key what unlocks it?

HMF

That's a function of Disney identifying who the character is because the put in a franchise that while popular, not everyone is familiar with. The Blackbeard projection also says things like, "So says I, Blackbeard".

I think Davy Jones was a better villain, that's why I like him better. He was in two movies and allowed viewers to get emotionally invested in his character. There was no connection to Blackbeard - he was the weakest part of On Stranger Tides.

The thing is, the effect itself is well done but the dialogue and relevance of the character involved is questionable. I miss the skull and cross bones before the drop, and that's why I think they should use that same skull and cross bones on the waterfall projection. If you watch the Pirates movies on Blu Ray, they have the skull and cross bones, and I believe on one of them, he makes his "appearance" on the menu emerging through water.

Blackbeard only says his name once. Davy Jones does it at least 4. The problem is even more pronounced at Disneyland when you hear his spiel while waiting for the boat to go up the ramp. It's really obnoxious.

YunaB17

BTW, are they ever going to add Davy Jones back to the mist screen effect? He is WAY cooler than Blackbeard.

I thought that they were switching back and forth between Blackbeard and Davy Jones? When I was there in August I had Davy Jones one day and then Blackbeard the next. Did they go back to just Blackbeard again?

JustInTime

I thought that they were switching back and forth between Blackbeard and Davy Jones? When I was there in August I had Davy Jones one day and then Blackbeard the next. Did they go back to just Blackbeard again?

Blackbeard in September. Multiple days.

MerlinTheGoat

I miss the skull as well. And i don't even understand why it was removed. Disneyland kept the skull when the mist screen was added in, so i don't see what the issue with keeping both was. From what i understand, WDW is the only Pirates ride that doesn't have that skull (even Paris has its own version at the end).

What would be really cool would be if the mist screen was moved to right underneath the rim of the drop tunnel, right before you go in and over the drop. Have a projection of the skull on it that does the old dialog and everything. You'd go through the mist and immediately plummet down. I'm not sure whether that would work in that lighting though.

TP2000

What would be really cool would be if the mist screen was moved to right underneath the rim of the drop tunnel, right before you go in and over the drop. Have a projection of the skull on it that does the old dialog and everything. You'd go through the mist and immediately plummet down. I'm not sure whether that would work in that lighting though.

I love that idea! They could get it to work fine with todays LED lighting tech, I'm sure.

Disneyland's Pirates ride has been closed for three months for refurbishment this fall, and it's scheduled to reopen tomorrow. If there were any changes WDI wanted to do to the mist screen characters or plotline development, we'll probably see them tomorrow when the Disneyland ride reopens. Although, Al Lutz had an interesting note on the front of Miceage today...

EDITOR’S NOTE 11/23: Pirates of the Caribbean is finished with the mechanical part of its three month rehab, and they've been cycling the boats all week while WDI fusses over last minute items. However, a boat full of TDA suits rode through on Tues afternoon and came back with a list of details that need to be fixed with the show before they will allow the ride to open. Yes, there are actually execs in Anaheim now who care about the details, even though the park is slammed with huge crowds this week and they'd like the ride capacity. It's unlikely they'll get all the items on the list completed by Wed evening, and the ride likely won't open until Thanksgiving morning. - Al Lutz

The changes over the last five years to Pirates seem to have been coordinated between the different rides in WDW and Disneyland, so it would seem to suggest that anything new or different that might show up in Disneyland's version tomorrow after its three month rehab would eventually show up in the WDW version.

HMF

I love that idea! They could get it to work fine with todays LED lighting tech, I'm sure.

Disneyland's Pirates ride has been closed for three months for refurbishment this fall, and it's scheduled to reopen tomorrow. If there were any changes WDI wanted to do to the mist screen characters or plotline development, we'll probably see them tomorrow when the Disneyland ride reopens. Although, Al Lutz had an interesting note on the front of Miceage today...

The changes over the last five years to Pirates seem to have been coordinated between the different rides in WDW and Disneyland, so it would seem to suggest that anything new or different that might show up in Disneyland's version tomorrow after its three month rehab would eventually show up in the WDW version.
My understanding is that this was just a cosmetic upgrade' Cave walls replaced not much else. Besides as Al said TDA has executives who would rather keep the thing closed until everything is in top shape (Though in my humble opinion it won't be in truly top shape again until the "Where is Captain Jack Sparrow nonsense is gone.) TDO would rather just get it back open ASAP. The WDW POTC is currently a bizarre mix and match of 1973 and 2006 technology. The entire DL POTC was upgraded in 2006. WDW got a few weeks closure then was re-opened briefly and closed for another few weeks which only gave them enough time to install the new characters and audio tracks and of course the unnecessary (and inferior) exterior re-model. It was not given the full- fledged restoration DL got.

imagineer boy

I miss the skull as well. And i don't even understand why it was removed. Disneyland kept the skull when the mist screen was added in, so i don't see what the issue with keeping both was. From what i understand, WDW is the only Pirates ride that doesn't have that skull (even Paris has its own version at the end).

Well, I always thought WDW's version of the skull was crap. Mainly because it didn't have the same spiel as DL's (which had X Atencio's badass spiel) and had that stupid "ahoy there maties!" voice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom