Pirates of the Caribbean Ride Updates

Todd H

Just returned from DW and the beginning effect with Blackbeard looks terrible. Can barely make out anything.

The Duck

I miss the skull as well. And i don't even understand why it was removed. Disneyland kept the skull when the mist screen was added in, so i don't see what the issue with keeping both was. From what i understand, WDW is the only Pirates ride that doesn't have that skull (even Paris has its own version at the end).

What would be really cool would be if the mist screen was moved to right underneath the rim of the drop tunnel, right before you go in and over the drop. Have a projection of the skull on it that does the old dialog and everything. You'd go through the mist and immediately plummet down. I'm not sure whether that would work in that lighting though.

I was hoping for this type of effect when I first heard that Blackbeard was coming, so to apply a projected (possibly CGI) talking skull here would make sense to me. Now that the waterfall drop is in total darkness, it seems like something is missing.

Imagineer6

Just returned from DW and the beginning effect with Blackbeard looks terrible. Can barely make out anything.

That could just be the people in the boat in front of you waving their arms to break up the fog.

I think the effect should be moved to after you go by the skeleton on the ship - right before you go over the falls. That way, they can turn the lights off on the fog and it could be pitch blackness. As far as the character infusion goes, I'm fine with them having Davy Jones as the projection. But I think they should add him through the ride to keep the storyline.

HMF

That could just be the people in the boat in front of you waving their arms to break up the fog.

I think the effect should be moved to after you go by the skeleton on the ship - right before you go over the falls. That way, they can turn the lights off on the fog and it could be pitch blackness. As far as the character infusion goes, I'm fine with them having Davy Jones as the projection. But I think they should add him through the ride to keep the storyline.

Pirates of the Caribbean has no storyline, It is a series of vignettes of a group of pirates sacking a town in search of treasure.

TP2000

This just in from Disneyland. Blackbeard and Davy Jones are alternating.

That sounds like it could work nicely; you have several moments as you float towards the mist screen at Disneyland, so you could easily see both characters appear and say something before you floated underneath the mist.

Reports are also coming in from Disneyland after the ride reopened today that Davy Jones and Blackbeard are also now both talking as your boat goes back up the waterfall at the end of the ride.

HMF

That sounds like it could work nicely; you have several moments as you float towards the mist screen at Disneyland, so you could easily see both characters appear and say something before you floated underneath the mist.

Reports are also coming in from Disneyland after the ride reopened today that Davy Jones and Blackbeard are also now both talking as your boat goes back up the waterfall at the end of the ride.

That should limit the amount of times you hear Davy Jones refer to himself in the third person while going up.:sohappy:

MerlinTheGoat

I was hoping for this type of effect when I first heard that Blackbeard was coming, so to apply a projected (possibly CGI) talking skull here would make sense to me. Now that the waterfall drop is in total darkness, it seems like something is missing.

I figure it would need to be CGI to look decent. I sort of had that idea from the World of Color. Right at the beginning of the Pirates segment, they project an image of the skull logo from the movies on the mist screen. That could look pretty cool, assuming it talked and animated.

arko

went through yesterday, and blackbeard did indeed look horrible, pretty much the lower half of his face was not really visible, hat pirate did indeed have all his hats back though.
I noticed the sparkles, they seem to be projections of coins

blm07

I miss the skull as well. And i don't even understand why it was removed. Disneyland kept the skull when the mist screen was added in, so i don't see what the issue with keeping both was. From what i understand, WDW is the only Pirates ride that doesn't have that skull (even Paris has its own version at the end).

What would be really cool would be if the mist screen was moved to right underneath the rim of the drop tunnel, right before you go in and over the drop. Have a projection of the skull on it that does the old dialog and everything. You'd go through the mist and immediately plummet down. I'm not sure whether that would work in that lighting though.

Disney World likes to remove things and replace them with nothing.

RSoxNo1

Disney World likes to remove things and replace them with nothing.

I actually think there's been reason to this in the past. Especially Epcot. Epcot rarely, if ever closes to capacity. Prior to 1999, every attraction was very effecient at handling crowds and none of them had a particularly high demand to necessitate that effeciency. As higher demand, lower capacity attractions have been added, the overall capacity of that park really has remained a non-issue.

For Epcot, this really hasn't caught up with them like it has in the Magic Kingdom - the Fantasyland Expansion is a sign of this, the need for expansion is widely apparent in the Magic Kingdom.

Having said all that - building better rides will also serve the function of increasing demand in an otherwise low demand location.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom