Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

flynnibus

Premium Member
Pretty amazing how much box office economies have chaged over the last 5 years. Furious 8 made 82% of its gross overseas!

Yeah which is why we need to rethink what the metrics of success are when looking at global takes.

I would not be surprised if the accounting/reporting for global budgets is not quite aligned here either. Reported Budgets haven't moved much... yet global footprint is much much higher?? Does not compute.

Animaniac93-98

Yeah which is why we need to rethink what the metrics of success are when looking at global takes.

I would not be surprised if the accounting/reporting for global budgets is not quite aligned here either. Reported Budgets haven't moved much... yet global footprint is much much higher?? Does not compute.

Production budgets (what's reported) not moving much, wouldn't surprise me. It's marketing that has most likely increased in recent years.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Production budgets (what's reported) not moving much, wouldn't surprise me. It's marketing that has most likely increased in recent years.

I know... but when talking costs.. they usually lump both together or guestimate the marketing. My point is people are comparing global grosses to a 250 number that probably isn't representative of their actual costs because of the changing global spending.

Sonic Sunglasses

Just an update if anyone is curious, we are over $600.5m.
And I just bought tickets to see it again this Saturday. :D
bird.gif

sedati

Finally saw it and enjoyed it. Some issues that could be resolved in the next film if they keep doing flashbacks. It was great seeing most of the original secondary characters back for this one. Corinna was a great addition- and I'm thinking she has quite an inheritance coming her way, one she could use more for science and exploration than piracy. If you are a fan of the series as a whole, then I can't see you not enjoying this one. I'd put it in the middle ranking wise.

Sonic Sunglasses

Just saw it...credits rolling at Movie Tavern.

A few things:
- In Dead Man's Chest, we learned that Tia Dalma gave Jack the compass. They were looking for the key and Tia says "That compass I give you, it cannot find this?"
Here, they retcon it to the original captain of the Wicked Wench gave it to him 'just because'. Bad move.

- Whay happened to the Queen Anne's Revenge? Did Salazar sink her?
Yeah, the bit where Tia Dalma says, "Dat compass you barter from me, it cannot find dis?" rang in my ears when they decided to retcon the provenance of the compass. Jack having to barter the compass from her lets the imagination run in all manner of, well, interesting directions.

As for the Revenge, that be a simple one to suss out. Only one man wanted the Pearl as much as Jack Sparrow. Barbossa had it easy on the Revenge. His men were tripping over the swag, and he needn't lift a finger to get any prey to heave to without a fight. That gets mighty boring. The Pearl meant just as much to Barbossa as it did Sparrow. It meant freedom, it meant power, and it meant working for the spoils you took. And it meant the possibility you might fail. The exhilaration of being alive, your will against that of another captain and his crew and the sea and winds, and fortune itself!

Yeah. Give me the Pearl, a stalwart crew, and a fair wind any day. The Revenge made things too easy, says I.

Captain Barbossa

i too went nuts with merchandise. have you built the silent mary yet?
18645727_1349570098457037_4539871459408871424_n.jpg
No. Haven't got the Mary yet. Still don't even have the Pearl that Lego made. I'm going crazy over any merchandise that I can find. Can't wait for those diamond Jack and Barbossa action figures to come out. They are so realistic!!

SeanWM48

That Silent Mary set is gorgeous, but I don't have anywhere to keep it out. If I had the space I'd rather have the Black Pearl or Flying Dutchmen model.
i'm not the lego guy i once was (in elementary school) but whenever a pirates film comes out they usually do a ship and i'll grab it. they did a pearl, queene anne's revenge (from Stranger Tides), and now this. The Pearl and Revenge are crazy expensive if you find one on ebay still in the box.

Captain Barbossa

i'm not the lego guy i once was (in elementary school) but whenever a pirates film comes out they usually do a ship and i'll grab it. they did a pearl, queene anne's revenge (from Stranger Tides), and now this. The Pearl and Revenge are crazy expensive if you find one on ebay still in the box.
Do you remember when MEGA bloks made POTC sets?

Captain Barbossa

i know there are some others out there. being an older guy now i'm not up on all of the toys but the legos i always make time for
They were pretty awesome. They were made around the time of Dead Man's Chest and were discontinued after At World's End. I have the Black Pearl flagship battler that they made and a whole lot more. In terms of Legos, I have every set except the Pearl, the Revenge, Whitecap Bay, and the Mary.

flynnibus

Premium Member

No need to buy new in box with lego. Solid market for complete used sets. In fact I'm shipping out the simpsons house today :)

I also have the black pearl ... but it's my daughters. Wonder if she wants to sell :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom