Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Captain Barbossa

yeah that was stupid of him no argument.

as for the film i'd say it did well. it has to be near complete in terms of theater showings worldwide. last i saw it was beyond 750mil which is pretty strong and a success IMO. throw in how it ended (post-credits scene) and the door is certainly open for part 6 although i wouldn't expect it for a good 3 years or 4.

if it were up to me, assuming depp relaxes a bit with the off-screen problems, i'd come back in 2020 with keira, orlando, and (no spoiler) the big bad guy who shows his face during the credits. throw in depp and the two kids from the new film and market it as the REAL last pirates film and go out with a bang. i bet it'd do at least as well as this one did.
I agree with you. Right now it's at $776million, and unlike some people, I think that's a success.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I agree with you. Right now it's at $776million, and unlike some people, I think that's a success.

Because you aren't very objective on the topic..

Nearly 80% of that number is overseas. And almost 30% of that number is China alone... where the studios only get half of what they do compared to the US.

Box office revenue numbers and what numbers we think of 'successful' are changing as the global market for Hollywood films is changing. The box office gross isn't nearly as meaningful as a measuring stick when we lump everything together... and ignore what the studios do behind that number.

SJN1279

With all the bad publicity from Depp, the unfairly bad reviews, and this being the 5th sequel nearly 15 years after the original, I think over 170 domestic, and over 600 million worldwide is a very good number. The only movies that had higher box office in the US this summer were superhero or minion based. In 2011, Disney was super focused on Pirates, now with Star Wars and Marvel, Pirates has taken a back seat, but is still performing fairly well.

Pirates had a real chance to bomb, but it ended up being profitable. That is a huge win.

Last edited:

SJN1279

yeah that was stupid of him no argument.

as for the film i'd say it did well. it has to be near complete in terms of theater showings worldwide. last i saw it was beyond 750mil which is pretty strong and a success IMO. throw in how it ended (post-credits scene) and the door is certainly open for part 6 although i wouldn't expect it for a good 3 years or 4.

if it were up to me, assuming depp relaxes a bit with the off-screen problems, i'd come back in 2020 with keira, orlando, and (no spoiler) the big bad guy who shows his face during the credits. throw in depp and the two kids from the new film and market it as the REAL last pirates film and go out with a bang. i bet it'd do at least as well as this one did.

I think there could also be a role for another popular Pirate, whether in dreams or flashback if they did a part 6.

Sonic Sunglasses

I think there could also be a role for another popular Pirate, whether in dreams or flashback if they did a part 6.
If Captain Calamari were to play a key part of a sixth film, I'd wager heavily that said popular pirate could easily factor in. He's a difficult one to keep dead.

Captain Barbossa

ha....if you ask me that character's done more than enough. i know he's a fan favorite but bringing him back wouldn't make sense. he's now been killed twice on screen. it's just unnecessary at this point.

you can certainly have Carina mention him or even take on his last name (spoiler sorry folks)
No he doesn't need to come back because it would make his sacrifice meaningless. If there is to be a Pirates 6, it would be cool to see him as a ghost for a cameo scene.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom