Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Jahona

Original Poster
So I saw it yesterday and overall I liked the movie. I thought the new cast of characters were good. I do have a few issues with how they set up the canon of the film and some of the mythology. Jack Sparrow felt tired in this film. He didn't seem to have as much energy in the character and some of his dialogue fell flat with me. I was hoping for a bit more character development with Carina then we were given. She has a dynamic to her that was missed.

Story wise I got the impression that something had gone amiss on the Dutchman. The early exchange between Will and his son has a sense of urgency to it. I wish we got a bit more exposé on what's been going on with Will. The bank heist scene was a lot of fun but honestly didn't exactly need Jack in it. He didn't bring much to it until much later on in the scene. Skipping ahead a bit to the compass. In the previous movies it's mentioned that he bartered with Tia Dalma for it, now we learn he inherited it from his captain. It just doesn't fit. It's ret-coning his origin story that we really didn't need. Jack gave away the compass several times in previous movies with no ill effect. Was the reason behind this that he always intended to get the compass back vs thowing it away? Also why didn't he use his gold coin for the drink instead of the compass?

The origin of Captain Salizar is decent. In his mind he was the hero. He cleared the oceans of thieves and pirates. "You either die a hero, or you live long enough to become the villain" plays true for this character. He is absorbed by revenge his rampage on the sea was without mercy. Granted how much of that was against Pirates and the British I don't know. There was a line of dialogue also stating merchant ships were hit.
Barbossa was great as always. I've always liked this character more than any others in the pirates universe. I'm not sure if really needed to see his reunion with his long lost daughter. I'm sure he fathered many ill legitimate children throughout the years. He honestly was the better pirate compared to Jack and will be missed.
Some issues with previous canon and mythology other than the compass. The Black Pearl is supposed to be the fastest ship in the Caribbean yet it gets overtaken by not just Salizar's Ghost ship but also a freaking British ship of the line. Also I would think the power and mysticism behind The Queen Anne's Revenger might have put up a decent fight against the dead. It's something I would like to see.
I honestly felt sorry for Salizar's crew at the end of the movie. They have their curse lifted and get to die all over again. His first mate seemed like a nice guy and was rocking that eyepatch.
I have so many questions about the ramifications of breaking the trident. This removes all of the curses of the sea but what about relations to curses. Did this remove some of the mythological creatures? Mermaids are seen as a curse upon the ocean but are they actually a curse? Did they all turn human or fish? I need answers.
I felt the ending was a bit abrupt. You had a major character give his life and there was very little signs of remorse from the crew. He may not have been liked by everyone but man he sacrificed himself for the greater good.

SeanWM48

So I saw it yesterday and overall I liked the movie. I thought the new cast of characters were good. I do have a few issues with how they set up the canon of the film and some of the mythology. Jack Sparrow felt tired in this film. He didn't seem to have as much energy in the character and some of his dialogue fell flat with me. I was hoping for a bit more character development with Carina then we were given. She has a dynamic to her that was missed.
agreed all around including spoiler part. in many ways this film rewarded you for remembering points from the early movies (like Barbossa having Blackbeard's sword/ship, and the whole Turner family saga). other times - especially with that compass - it left you baffled as to why they would re-write history just to tell the story.

i also felt like the witch Shansa was a big let-down. she's all over the trailers yet she really doesn't have much to do in the film and disappears at one point. if they go for 6 maybe they do more w/ her.

WhatJaneSays

Yeah ... saw it again today after having binged COTBP, DMC, and AWE yesterday ... this new one really doesn't hold up very well under direct comparison. Kind of a shame, having been able to scrutinize it better I can really see where DMTNT has an excellent structure to have been an A++ followup to DMC and AWE but just didn't know what to do with it.

(I formally rescind any comments I might have made about the movie being a "soft reboot" of the franchise - this is not any kind of throughputting reboot, and it sure ain’t soft one at that.)

Magenta Panther

I re-watched my DVD of Dead Man's Chest yesterday. I'd forgotten how fun that movie was. Especially the ending - wow, what a heartbreaker - and then the great appearance by a former villain at the end. Fantastic. I hope to see DMTNT next week. People I know who saw it on Saturday loved it. Wonder why the critics are panning it?

Sonic Sunglasses

Because, unfortunately, critics hate Johnny Depp, so they will automatically dislike the film without giving the rest of the movie or the other characters a chance. I just try to ignore them.
That's precisely the vibe I've gotten from the more vitriolic reviews. It's unfortunate because I really enjoyed DMTNT. It felt more in line with CotBP while tying back nicely with the previous four films. Salazar was an excellent Big Bad, though I would have liked to see a bit more of him in action before the curse. Returning to the formula of having the story be about the romantic leads and moving Jack back into the role of chaotic agent (think Kid Shelleen in Cat Ballou) that simultaneously pulls the pieces together and shakes up the playing board was a great move. Barbossa was his usual delightfully wicked self.

It was great fun and a thoroughly enjoyable story. It's understandable if they decide to end the franchise here, but I can honestly say they've left me wanting more.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Curse of the black pearl was on tonight... it's 10x the movie this past one was. Maybe people need to go back and watch that for a reminder of what made these films great.

This past one was bad. The characters... what attachment do we get?? The story was flat, plain and linear... nothing like the twists we would get before. The humor? Toilet at best. I don't think anyone even laughed in our theatre. Where are the supporting villains? Never mind all the conflicts with the story past.

Previous movies were great because jack was unpredictable... this film? He's just the token people are chasing. It even lacks the epic fights/battles that were standouts in the past. The bank scene? Pfft.. junky like the old wheel fight was.

I don't understand the praise for the new cast... who??? The lead female was forgettable... her purpose insignificant. The kid turner was ok... but just a knockoff of the real thing.

Captain Barbossa

Won the weekend box office. What people have to realize is that most movies that open on Memorial Day weekend don't typically make a whole lot at first. People are on vacation and traveling about, so the theaters might be a little bare. But compared to Disney's last 3 Memorial Day films, Prince of Persia, Towmorrowland, and Alice Through the Looking Glass, Dead Men Tell No Tales did very well.

Last edited:

MississippiBelle

I really enjoyed the movie, but overall it just made me nostalgic for the original trilogy.
I felt like Johnny Depp veered into some of his different characters at parts instead of sticking to Jack (I specifically heard the Mad Hatter at one point). It wasn't a lot of fun to watch a washed up, overly drunk version of Jack at certain points. And what was up with the compass! It didn't make sense for Jack to lose it the way he did.
Teen Jack was completely weird to me. Why go through the trouble to CGI the actor into looking like Jack if you're going to use grown man Jack's voice. It was jarring.
The two new main characters' story lines felt rushed to me. Like trying to force a Will and Elizabeth story line into one movie.
Those were my only complaints though. I thought the movie was a lot of fun, the villain was perfectly creepy with a great back story, and I LOVED the ending. Honestly, as a huge fan of the original, it made the whole movie for me. So many feels all at once.

SJN1279

You beat a baywatch gag film, a month old guardians, and a few week old panned Aliens sequel. The idea there will be a non-holiday surge is fantasy. This movie has got a rap.. and next two weeks you have wonder woman and spiderman soaking up the 'lets see a movie' crowd.

It's all downhill from here...

It made 326 million worldwide on opening weekend. No matter how you cut that, Pirate's was a box office success.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom