Pirates Drop?

Expo_Seeker40

Reminds me of the time my family dragged my mom on Big Thunder at night, she wasn't sure she would ride it again, because she had issues riding it back in the 80s....needless to say whatever she ate at Pinochio's Village Haus came back after she got off the ride. She also didn't talk to us the rest of the night. :drevil:

eroyee

I forget where I found this picture but I have no clue if it is WDW or DLR. Can anyone help me out?
4297653131_7b6f804a62_o.jpg
Really neat pic.. thanks. I am scared of drops and POTC is nothing, believe me. You just slide along the water and dont even notice it.....

LucyintheSky

The "drop" is nothing, really.

BTW... There isn't a pregnancy restriction, I rode it many time when I was PG. And I also took my son on it when he was a baby, just holding him. Not that either of those things applies to the OP, but if the drop was any sort of big deal they wouldn't allow that.

lisak09

I absolutely HATE HATE HATE big drops and avoid them at all costs. The mini drop on PTOC is nothing whatsoever and usually i get on it a few times when we visit MK. My youngest daughter (7) also hates drops (bad experience on the Jurassic Park River Ride in Universal with her Dad and older sister in 2008) and she's also fine with POTC. Nothing to worry about:)

EPCOT Explorer

Yes. He will never forgive me for that one. :lol:

He's a weird kid. Wants nothing to do with Splash Mountain ever again, but wants to ride California Screamin' 83282 times in a row.

:lol:

See, I won't go near anything upside down, even if you paid me. :dazzle:

Phonedave

I have been on playground slides that are higher and steeper than the drop in PoC.

Honestly. They are hard to find anymore in this day of having to bubble wrap your kids, but I came across a park in the Lancaster area of PA that had a HUGE old metal slide. They also had the old fashioned 'break your coccyx when your friend jumps off" see-saws. The kids and I had a load of fun at that park.

-dave

Dj Corona

Is it maybe a picture of one of the mini-drops on Splash? ... Also, although I'm somewhat ashamed to say it, I also have a family member who,.. and it doesn't matter how many times we have rode it, still abso-freaking-lutely goes mental when it comes to the drop/slope on POTC.

Rob562

Is it maybe a picture of one of the mini-drops on Splash? ... Also, although I'm somewhat ashamed to say it, I also have a family member who,.. and it doesn't matter how many times we have rode it, still abso-freaking-lutely goes mental when it comes to the drop/slope on POTC.

No, it's defintiely one of the Pirates drops. Way too wide for Splash.

As Phonedave said above, I would equate it to an old metal playground slide. Or bring the person who's scared to an escalator at the mall. Say "if this were a slide instead of steps, could you slide down it"? That's about what it is, probably not even that steep...

-Rob

jonnyc

:lol:

See, I won't go near anything upside down, even if you paid me. :dazzle:

:lol: Have you ever been on anything that goes upside down before? As if not, we tricked my Mom to go on RNRC when she would never go on anything that went upsidedown and now she goes on everything, she even dragged the family on the Hulk when it was raining!

LucyintheSky

My mom is scared to death of the drop in Splash, but she rides Pirates with no problem.

OT: I once tricked her into riding the Mummy at Universal by telling her it was just a dark ride like the ones in Fantasyland, just on a bigger scale. Oh I wish I could have seen the look on her face when we launched up that hill... After the ride she wanted to KILL me!

lilclerk

OT: I once tricked her into riding the Mummy at Universal by telling her it was just a dark ride like the ones in Fantasyland, just on a bigger scale. Oh I wish I could have seen the look on her face when we launched up that hill... After the ride she wanted to KILL me!

I did that to my boyfriend :lol: He won't ride anything new without researching it himself now.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Speaking of the drop - do you know why it's there?

POC was part of our "Keys to the Kingdom" tour... first, you would be amazed at how close POR actually is to Main Street. Our guide explained the drop, while pointing at landmarks from backstage - the drop is there to go UNDER the RR tracks :) Great effect - but it also has a very practical application.
Indeed. PotC was built at grade to Adventureland, or rather at almost the same height as the railroad. Though load is below grade, it is still above true ground level - the height behind the berm - and so the ride needs to drop down into the main show building and the water table level backstage.

imagineer boy

I love a good thrilling ride, but I hate drops too. Just the feeling of falling is unpleasent to me. I can handle POTC's drop just fine though. The only freaky thing about it is that it's in pitch darkness.

I too have gone on splash, and yes I'd rather not go on it again. :lol: Brilliant ride, but I found the final drop to be dreadful.

imagineer boy

I understand completely. My son and I are the same way. This past trip in December is when we overcame that fear. It actually started on Maelstrom over at Epcot.We kept our eyes open and looked straight ahead. Then we did the same with Pirates. You'll still get that "tickle" feeling, as my son calls it. But once you do it it shouldn't bother you again.

What is that tickle feeling exactly? It almost feels like your blood is going backwards through your veins or somthing. Either way I find it very unpleasant.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom