Piraten in Batavia, or how other parks are eating Disney's lunch

Inspired Figment

im not talking universal screens.. although i do like the mosasaurus and the leaking glass at universals JW ride. There are some things that cant be done only with AA (and please no 3d) but i think you could have 90% practical and overlay some scenes with a few screens to give you a 180 envelopment ..... or give me the rainbow tunnel and speed through it. What i dont want is ROR ride vehicles. It needs to be high capacity, and mckey rat and ROR are great in technology but at the end of the day we need rides where the scenery and story is immersive and impressive.. not the ride vehicle. When you are on pirates do you really care you are in a boat? Space ship earth does the ride vehicle matter? Doom bugges have become part of the charm of HM but if it was a different ride system would we care? If you are immersed the ride vehicle doesnt matter... (outside of roller coasters but thats because you want a roller coaster)
Ah okay, I see. Well, I think that type of technology would probably work really well with the opening sequence (which was definitley too complex with the rig of a bunch of projectors with different effects going all at once projecting in the back. It’d be much better to do one improved projector with the effects of that scene re-animated & recreated to look a lot better. With improved Dreamfinder & Figment AAs flying the Dreamcatching machine in front.
That approach would particuarly work well in the science section of the ride too I think. Particuarly the 2 transition sequences. When you’re first going into the scene with Dreamfinder on his viewer console thing (What about Science??) and right before transitioning to the Fortune telling Dreamfinder with Figment looking through the glass. The scenes with the “future”, “destiny” signs, etc. which were initially supposed to be animated/projected effects before they initially got implemented via plywood cutout signs.
On that note, would be nice if the film finale also had the traditionally animated Figment scenes it was supposed to have also (think in the quality they did the Three Caballeros animations)

Inspired Figment

That and Dreamfinder’s laser light show in the performing arts scene could also be a lot better. Initially it was supposed to be a laser light projected animation featuring Figment chasing a ballerina around (definitley not something PC that’d fly today) and I think it would’ve featured a couple other designs themed around Figment & Dreamfinder.. but it ultimately got the original test animations of designs and the bird flying on it. Would be interesting to see them do something else there.. not sure exactly what, but it could be something just as impressive & charming/captivating.

DVCscott

Curse of DarKastle was generally considered a poor attraction and not because it lacked known characters.
That is sad. We enjoyed it fine. It wasn't Spiderman great like Island of Adventure but it was worth a ride. Made us a little dizzy at parts, much more noticeable than Spiderman, but it was no Mission Space if you know what I mean. 🤢

DVCscott

Efteling is gorgeous! I think it's Disney quality for sure.
It is!
Symbolica is of better quality dark ride than any Disney or Universal offering in my opinion.
Dreemflight was closed when we went, but heard it was nice.
I don't think their teacup ripoff themed to a Afriacn cannibal would go over well at Disney. If you think Splash Mtn and Jungle Cruise are controversial... 😮

Pepper's Ghost

So there's this park in Germany called Europa. Not long ago, a devastating fire burned down part of the park. One ride, called Piraten in Batavia, was among the casualties. But the family that owned the park was determined that, not only would the ride be rebuilt, it would be built better (what Walt used to call "plussing", a term the Robert Iger Company has no comprehension of).

This is the result:

My god, that ride is beautiful. The queue alone is beautiful. Perhaps the ride's narrative isn't as strong as our own Pirates in its various locations, including the new version in Shanghai, but holy crap the themeing and ambience and immersion. It's incredible. Again, a non-Disney park blows the current Imagineers' efforts away. And this is why I gripe so much. Can you watch this ride and detect any cost-cutting? Any cheapness or laziness involved in its AAs or backgrounds, its lighting and use of water? This is what happens when a company that genuinely cares lets its artisans do their thing without what Walt called "the sharp-pencil boys" interfering. Makes me sick. I wish with all my heart that Disney will someday wow me the way this ride, and the new Rookburgh area in Phantasialand with its incredible steampunk motif and amazing Charles Lindbergh hotel, do. That hasn't happened since the Tower of Terror, and we all know what Chapek wanted to do to THAT.

Again, it makes me sick. And breaks my heart.

I watched the video, and I fall under the category of not understanding the story from scene to scene. Not understanding the language probably doesn't help though. I also agree with comments that PotC probably didn't make sense to folks the first time either. If try to be objective through the scenes, I suppose they don't tell a very clear story from beginning to end if you didn't already know the movies, or if you're not nostalgic about the ride from the old days and just being in awe. The attention to detail in Piraten is spectacular though. I'll definitely give them that award in a side-by-side comparison with PotC.

I wonder if Disney is just done with creating great new rides in WDW until attendance suffers? I'm not saying I agree with this, but just wondering if that's the logic. I mean, pandemic aside, the parks were busting at the seems with record attendance year after year. Maybe it doesn't make sense to continuously pour money into something that won't reap benefits? Assume you spend several million on a new ride and your attendance doesn't increase because of it since it's already at record levels, why spend the money? You'd rather spend the money at parks where attendance can be increased. Again, that logic doesn't make me happy, but it would explain a lot, wouldn't it? I honestly don't think they're gonna spend all that much more in WDW until attendance sags.

Poseidon Quest

I wonder if Disney is just done with creating great new rides in WDW until attendance suffers? I'm not saying I agree with this, but just wondering if that's the logic. I mean, pandemic aside, the parks were busting at the seems with record attendance year after year. Maybe it doesn't make sense to continuously pour money into something that won't reap benefits? Assume you spend several million on a new ride and your attendance doesn't increase because of it since it's already at record levels, why spend the money? You'd rather spend the money at parks where attendance can be increased. Again, that logic doesn't make me happy, but it would explain a lot, wouldn't it? I honestly don't think they're gonna spend all that much more in WDW until attendance sags.

I think the pandemic threw everything out of wack, so it's really hard to say if Disney is reaping the consequences of its poor show and attractions.

For example, the opening of Galaxy's Edge didn't at all pull the crowds that Disney wanted it to. Is it because the Disney brand of Star Wars is unappealing to people? Is it because Rise of the Resistance didn't open with the land? Was it just not going to boost attendance anyways? Once Rise opened, we would have seen a clearer picture, except obviously the pandemic threw a wrench into that.

Obviously Disney is doing well with limited capacity, but I have to wonder if the idea of "pent up demand" is a myth? Are people vacationing at Disney because they would otherwise spend money on something else that may not yet be available? Is the actual desire for park attendance lower than expected, and simply not evident because of park capacity limitations and these are people who would have come any way?

I'm definitely sensing a change in the wind. As more bland Disney attractions premier, people are starting to take notice, at least online. Universal had the issue of too many underwhelming screen based attractions, but they've definitely listened to their customers and have reversed course, rather dramatically and with positive results it seems. I'm continuously hearing the narrative that Universal vacations are cheaper and less stressful than Disney, and I have a strong feeling that come Epic Universe, Disney will have a problem on their hands. I'm really interested to see how this plays out. Considering Universal's recent track record, I'm far more excited for what they have to offer in the future and not so much for Disney.

NickMaio

Simply amazing. Compare it to DCA's new Spiderman "ride" and you have to wonder if A) Disney is even capable of producing solid, original, incredibly themed attractions anymore; and B) why in the world would a true creative want to work for a corporation that operates on a mindset of building attractions solely for their value in advertising existing product lines-- at the lowest possible cost and creative effort possible to maximize ROI?
I think a lot of us are wondering the same thing.
Honestly we go mainly for the nostalgia and classic rides.
If WDW gets rid of these we most likely won't return.
The new stuff is not cutting edge enough for us.
Uni's new Potter parks have far surpassed WDW for us.
Avengers campus looks quite lame. Made to sell IP's

NickMaio

I think the pandemic threw everything out of wack, so it's really hard to say if Disney is reaping the consequences of its poor show and attractions.

For example, the opening of Galaxy's Edge didn't at all pull the crowds that Disney wanted it to. Is it because the Disney brand of Star Wars is unappealing to people? Is it because Rise of the Resistance didn't open with the land? Was it just not going to boost attendance anyways? Once Rise opened, we would have seen a clearer picture, except obviously the pandemic threw a wrench into that.

Obviously Disney is doing well with limited capacity, but I have to wonder if the idea of "pent up demand" is a myth? Are people vacationing at Disney because they would otherwise spend money on something else that may not yet be available? Is the actual desire for park attendance lower than expected, and simply not evident because of park capacity limitations and these are people who would have come any way?

I'm definitely sensing a change in the wind. As more bland Disney attractions premier, people are starting to take notice, at least online. Universal had the issue of too many underwhelming screen based attractions, but they've definitely listened to their customers and have reversed course, rather dramatically and with positive results it seems. I'm continuously hearing the narrative that Universal vacations are cheaper and less stressful than Disney, and I have a strong feeling that come Epic Universe, Disney will have a problem on their hands. I'm really interested to see how this plays out. Considering Universal's recent track record, I'm far more excited for what they have to offer in the future and not so much for Disney.
GE opened far before covid.......
Opening the land without its star attraction was about money plain and simple.
It was a greedy move by WDW if you ask me.

JustAFan

So there's this park in Germany called Europa. Not long ago, a devastating fire burned down part of the park. One ride, called Piraten in Batavia, was among the casualties. But the family that owned the park was determined that, not only would the ride be rebuilt, it would be built better (what Walt used to call "plussing", a term the Robert Iger Company has no comprehension of).

This is the result:

My god, that ride is beautiful. The queue alone is beautiful. Perhaps the ride's narrative isn't as strong as our own Pirates in its various locations, including the new version in Shanghai, but holy crap the themeing and ambience and immersion. It's incredible. Again, a non-Disney park blows the current Imagineers' efforts away. And this is why I gripe so much. Can you watch this ride and detect any cost-cutting? Any cheapness or laziness involved in its AAs or backgrounds, its lighting and use of water? This is what happens when a company that genuinely cares lets its artisans do their thing without what Walt called "the sharp-pencil boys" interfering. Makes me sick. I wish with all my heart that Disney will someday wow me the way this ride, and the new Rookburgh area in Phantasialand with its incredible steampunk motif and amazing Charles Lindbergh hotel, do. That hasn't happened since the Tower of Terror, and we all know what Chapek wanted to do to THAT.

Decent ride. I mean it's no Triceratop Spin, but not bad.

gavvy

Europa park is owned by the Mack family, same as Mack rides, they have happily ripped off the best of Disney and added their own charm. The ops at the park is outstanding, no Fastpass or paid upgrades, everyone is treated the same and rides always operate at full capacity, ride operators are on the ball and you never feel like you are waiting in a long line, even when the line is 60 min.

Europa park is basically how a park should be run, and they learnt it all from the mouse.

DVCscott

This is the result:

Just stumbled across another one you might like to check out. Sorry if this ride has already been mentioned, have skimmed through most of this discussion but not every part.
Anyhow, Toverland theme park has a boat ride called Merlin's Quest. It's mostly nothing more than the Liberty Belle riverboat tour at MK, where you just cruise around the water observing other parts of the park. BUT, there is a indoor section of this boat ride where you go into a cave. Amazing detail and theming in that section. Worth a look.

Poseidon Quest

Efteling is gorgeous! I think it's Disney quality for sure.

Just did a breakdown of De Efteling and its attractions. While not a direct compare/contrast with Disney, I do point out a lot of strengths of Efteling's attractions and how the current era of theme parks lacks of lot of what makes Efteling so great.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom