Pirateland

Disneyfanman

I looked on the HKDL website, and it seems clear to me that the Pirateland is a promotion that is intended to be temporary. A summer kind of promotion. Disney will be very careful not to move away from the kinds of themes that it has built its rep on. "Pirateland" is a temporary overlay like the Mansion Holiday in DL, only on a grander scale. Trust me..........WDW isn't going to re-theme one of its lands at the MK. No way. Now at the other parks......anything is possible. Remote but possible. NOT at the MK. They can't even close an attraction without picket lines and letters and threats!

Epcot82Guy

I dunno... maybe I don;t wanna see "Pirateland", but I think POTC the movie is strong, and will remain so for some time. Personally for me, the Jungle Cruise is beyond cheesy, and now with DAK, redundant. The Tiki room has some great effects and animatronics, but is otherwise kinda.... meh. The Swiss Family Robinson is kinda pointless these days. Just my Opinion, but I'd like to see those things improved. Some Pirate themeing wouldn't be bad IMO (maybe a cool Pirate table service restaurant.... a ship maybe?), but maybe not a wholesale conversion to "Pirateland."

I agree that the franchise has some legs. But, the fact it's a "franchise" and described as such SCREAMS fad. I think a restaurant would be highly appropriate, although the only option is really on the opposite side of the land, so that hurts. But, there are ways.

Ragetti

Well, there fads and then there are FADS. Where POTC lives in that spectrum, I'm not sure, but one nice thing about a Pirates theme is that it doesn't HAVE to concentrate on the film or charcaters from the film. After all, POTC the ride existed LONG before POTC the film. One thing I miss from Disney these days are daring attractions that aren't based on existing properties. In that light, I'd personally like to see other sorts of "Adventures" represented in Adventureland. Not necesarily ones based on exisint Disney properties.

JimboJones123

Well, there fads and then there are FADS. Where POTC lives in that spectrum, I'm not sure, but one nice thing about a Pirates theme is that it doesn't HAVE to concentrate on the film or charcaters from the film. After all, POTC the ride existed LONG before POTC the film. One thing I miss from Disney these days are daring attractions that aren't based on existing properties. In that light, I'd personally like to see other sorts of "Adventures" represented in Adventureland. Not necesarily ones based on exisint Disney properties.

So more like modern day Frontierland. No Pow Wows. No Canoes. No Horses. Just a rollercoaster, singalong bears, a CBA (cartoon based attraction) boat ride. The shooting gallery and TSI are the still pretty original frontierland based, but they also stink of 1979. This could be a great evolution of WDW Adventurland, and it would be the only place Stateside where you could see it. The thing that sets apart DL Adventurland is the Indy Ride. If you really think the Flying Carpets makes WDW Adventurland something special, congrats. Why not spice things up a bit. Even if for just a few years -- would it be a financial nightmare like several have posted??? Project total -- $100K -- maybe $200K. Not a big investment at all.

CaptJackSkell

I just don't like the name Pirateland. Just doesn't seem as inviting as Adventureland does. Besides, the area is already pretty much Pirate-themed...they really don't need to change anything.

Ragetti

Well, I will say this: Capt Jack's Pirate Tutorial is about as low-budget and disposable an attraction as they come, but ya know what? The kids (and even some of us Grown-ups) LOVED it. It was interactive. The performers were good, and it made Adventureland feel ALIVE. I hate the "dead" feeling most theme park "themes" have. Like putting up a "cowboy" building facade makes a cowboy themed area. It doesn't. Making a theme living and breathing is what works IMO. But also, I'm not a big fan of holding onto attractions simply for nostalgia's sake. I would be happy to see a few "classic" attractions go away, or get a serious makeover. Jungle Cruise and the Treehouse in Adventureland would be at the top of my list.

JimboJones123

Well, I will say this: Capt Jack's Pirate Tutorial is about as low-budget and disposable an attraction as they come, but ya know what? The kids (and even some of us Grown-ups) LOVED it. It was interactive. The performers were good, and it made Adventureland feel ALIVE. I hate the "dead" feeling most theme park "themes" have. Like putting up a "cowboy" building facade makes a cowboy themed area. It doesn't. Making a theme living and breathing is what works IMO. But also, I'm not a big fan of holding onto attractions simply for nostalgia's sake. I would be happy to see a few "classic" attractions go away, or get a serious makeover. Jungle Cruise and the Treehouse in Adventureland would be at the top of my list.
I am the biggest JC fan ever, but this sounds better and better the more I hear about it.

erasure fan1

I like pirates in all but pirateland? The name alone just screams LAME and we have no better ideas. I just dont think POTC has the legs to anchor a whole land. I love the movies but the overall demand for pirates is going to go way down. Little kids will still play pirates but I dont think most people will say "lets go to disney to see pirateland!" 5 or 10 years from now. Thats the same reason Im glad Disney didnt get Potter. Adventure Land lets you do just about anything you want. You can add or subtract and you have a common theme to work with.

primetime52

I'm all for a massive Adventureland refurb (at WDW), but I think turning it into Pirateland would be sort of dumb. It just seems short sighted to devote an entire MK land to a mediocre movie franchise (first one was great, part 2 was decent, part 3 made absolutely no sense unless you watch it 8 times to clarify everything).

Add an e-ticket ride, add another restuarant, refurb JC, and maybe change the facades of all the buildings like they have done in Tomorrowland and Fantasyland in the past. AL needs alot of work, but I don't think Pirateland is the answer.

I'll admit, when I first heard the Pirateland idea a couple months ago, I liked it alot, but after thinkinng about it for a while I pulled a total 180.

CJR

Add an e-ticket ride, add another restaurant, refurb JC, and maybe change the facades of all the buildings like they have done in Tomorrowland and Fantasyland in the past. AL needs a lot of work, but I don't think Pirateland is the answer.

I agree, that's more along the lines of what would be good in the long run. Adventureland was one of the original lands selected by Walt Disney for his park. I would hate to see that ruined by another movie themed land. Expedition Everest is proof that Disney is capable of creating a successful original attraction not based on a movie. I would like to see more like it.

JimboJones123

I'm all for a massive Adventureland refurb (at WDW), but I think turning it into Pirateland would be sort of dumb. It just seems short sighted to devote an entire MK land to a mediocre movie franchise (first one was great, part 2 was decent, part 3 made absolutely no sense unless you watch it 8 times to clarify everything).

Add an e-ticket ride, add another restuarant, refurb JC, and maybe change the facades of all the buildings like they have done in Tomorrowland and Fantasyland in the past. AL needs alot of work, but I don't think Pirateland is the answer.

I'll admit, when I first heard the Pirateland idea a couple months ago, I liked it alot, but after thinkinng about it for a while I pulled a total 180.

So, only 57 more days til I change my mind?

darthjohnny

It just seems short sighted to devote an entire MK land to a mediocre movie franchise (first one was great, part 2 was decent, part 3 made absolutely no sense unless you watch it 8 times to clarify everything).

The Pirates franchise is by no means mediocre.

I would think maybe one more Pirate themed attraction would be cool, or at least a Tortuga restaurant, but I don't think the entire land should be changed.

elabron

Adventureland needs a pirate themed E-ticket attraction and the Tortuga themed restaurant.

I realize that the Tiki Room is a sentimental fave, because of its ties to Walt's direct involvement....but it really is outdated and needs a SEVERE refurb.....or, (he says as he puts on his kevlar vest) it needs removed.

Jungle Cruise needs a total overhaul......especially now that you can experience the real deal at Animal Kingdom.
Magic Carpets of Alladin......well, my daughter loves them.....especially at night, but they really need to go.

Let's face it, there really is a lot of work to do in Adventureland and Tommorowland.:veryconfu

elabron

There is. It's called Pirates of the Caribbean.

I wouldn't call POTC an "E-ticket"....not anymore at least. My 2 year old rides it and loves it.....not a bit adventurous or scary for him.
Let's face it.....inject "it's a small world" with some steroids and you get POTC.
i realize that the ride was first, but the success of the movie franchise warrants another major pirate themed "thrill ride".

Chernobog

total agreement

You know, I love Pirates as much as the next person.. but really, don't make Adventureland into Pirateland. That's just overdoing it by way too much.

The degree to which I agree with your statement cannot be measured by any existing instrument...

I love reading about pirates. I own multiple historical and fiction books upon the subject. (Not to mention owning several DVDs about it, as well.) But there are so many great adventures that go beyond pirates. Leave the land open for other ideas and don't paint it into a corner is my opinion.

cb3k

I would love to ride DL POTC....I hear that it BLOWS ours out of the water! The neatest part sounds like the beginning with the Blue Bayou (correct name?) restaurant and the fireflies....errrr, one day I will get out to that coast

KevinPage

I don't think today's public has a clue, care or concern about Tom Sawyer. I really don't. The only thing positive about Tom Sawyer island is the nostalgia of Wal putting it in DL when it as relevant, otherwise the theme itself is pointless and terribly underused.

That being said, any "pirate land" ideas should be contained to the PoTC area as they have plenty of space with the restuarant, veranda, etc. to liven the place up. A general "pirate" theme would be great. It doesn't and shouldn't only focus on the PoTC movies,but pirates in general, as it's ripe with source material.

As far as a WATER PARADE. Anything that could be done to scare away those nuts who line up hours before it starts is a POSITIVE thing IMHO. All they have to do is announce on the PA before it starts that if you're in front, you'll get wet. Granted if you wait 2 hours for a parade to start, you're not dealing with a full deck to begin with and probably won't even hear or understand the announcement. :ROFLOL: :ROFLOL: :ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom