Pirate Plunder and Security Checkpoints

nexus

Original Poster
Hey howdy -- I'm new to the forum but have been checking out the site for months.
On to business --
Has anyone mentioned the fact that the PotC Gift Shop has closed its doors? On September 22nd, 2001, it looked as if all the merchandise inside had been moved to the portico outside alongside all the grass skirts and painted coconut heads. Is this a permanent change or are they just renovating the shop itself?
Also - PLAN AHEAD FOR THE SECURITY CHECKPOINTS.
The bag-searching protocols put into place at the parks since 9-11 has slowed the admission process down to a crawl. Plan to wait - plan to be patient.
Because I'm a Season-pass holder, I have to be at MGM next Saturday (9-29) to get a special lanyard for the 100th Birthday pins. I am really looking forward to getting something free from the Mouse! Who-hoo!
Thanks for letting me post - hope I was informative about something.

nexus

mightyduck

Nexus-

Welcome! :) Glad to see you here.

Thanks for the PotC news... I hadn't heard that....and thanks for the heads-up on the slow wait to get in....not that I'll be there soon... :(

JAY-ROD

Originally posted by jazcatsnh
Nexus

What exactly are they doing for security by the way?

Thanks.

I'm sure they will be going through our bags and heak u never know we could be going through a metel detector for its all said and done.

nexus

Original Poster
Originally posted by jazcatsnh
Nexus

What exactly are they doing for security by the way?

At least at the MK, there is a table set up between two of the turnstiles and there is one security person per table. He (or she) checks all diaper bags, packs and purses. Men with nothing in their hands can stride right on through (go figure). It wasn't until I was on my way to Space Mountain that I realized that I had my little utility knife on my keyring. It completely slipped my mind and frankly worried me. If they aren't doing full-out patdowns, any empty-handed guy could get in clean.

THAT scares me.

I'm hoping they don't put in metal detectors (beep! I'm sure it's just my keys - beeep! It might be the plate in my head. beeep!) but that might happen should any trouble arise.

Ugh.

nexus

lnsemsf

I wouldnt worry about them not searching for a knife, it's not as if you are going to hijack anything in the magic kingdom, all the rides are on tracks! They arent concerned with a small knife, but with a big bomb that could be hidden in a backpack. I honestly was supprised that they didnt start doing searches years ago. I've always thought that blowing up Disneyword would be a great idea for a terrorist. Whats more american then that! I'm personaly quite glad they are doing a search, it makes me feel a bit safer. Of course there is always the off chance of some nut with a gun strolling in, which did happen in one of their hotels a year or 2 ago. I guess Disney just needs to make sure they treat their workers with respect, to prevent workplace retaliation, and we'll all be set...

Beauty and the

I think Disney are right to be doing these searches and if they feel the need for body scanners so be it. Searches like this are pretty common in the UK at all kinds of events and venues and unfortunatterly are just looked upon as part of the course eg. pop concerts, football matches, racing events and visits to such places as Windsor Castle etc. Nobody enjoys these experiences(maybe Tramp would!) but they can be reasuring in light of some pretty awful terriost attacks and people just have to put up with the inconveince for however long it takes.

nexus

Original Poster
Yeah, I suppose the happy little dream cottage we Americans have been living in has just had the door kicked in. You can't walk anywhere in Europe without signs warning you about suspicious packages and the like.

It's all sort of strange seeing security guards searching for possible bombs or guns knowing that just beyond the gate lies such happiness. Children laughing, families smiling -- it will never be the same again...

But I'll take the horror and inconvenience over the alternative.

nexus

Beauty and the

I think the feeling of safety from terrorism was something that us Brits loved about the USA and may be one of the many reasons that we share so deeply in your countries grief. It isn't pleasant to be constantly reminded at train stations, airports etc, to report unmaned packages etc. We all hope and pray that America and the rest of the world can swiftly abolish such terror so that some degree of normality can return to our much suffering and damaged world.:(

MrPromey

They are doing the searches at all four parks. The MK seemed to be the worst though because of the large crowds of people that come totally in waves (with the arrival of the monorail or the ferry)...
I honestly feel that the security checks are probably more for guest comfort than for actual security. If a terrorist was going to attack WDW, they probably would go for a resort before one of the parks. While hitting Cinderella's Castle would leave a lasting impression they could directly hurt more people by hitting a Wal-Mart. Everything at WDW is so spread out which fortunately makes it a very difficult target.

mightyduck

Originally posted by MrPromey
They are doing the searches at all four parks. The MK seemed to be the worst though because of the large crowds of people that come totally in waves (with the arrival of the monorail or the ferry)...
I honestly feel that the security checks are probably more for guest comfort than for actual security. If a terrorist was going to attack WDW, they probably would go for a resort before one of the parks. While hitting Cinderella's Castle would leave a lasting impression they could directly hurt more people by hitting a Wal-Mart. Everything at WDW is so spread out which fortunately makes it a very difficult target.

Thanks, MrP. That's a good point. :)

JAY-ROD

Hmm Mr P. I work at walmart!!! :eek:

MrPromey

Originally posted by JAY-ROD

Hmm Mr P. I work at walmart!!! :eek:

Well, you work the late shift, right? If it makes you feel any better, they'd probably do it during the day when they can find more than just employees and people who have no other place to go after the bars close!:p

Seriously, that was just an example. I'm sure you are probably perfectly safe Jay :)

JAY-ROD

Well, you work the late shift, right? If it makes you feel any better, they'd probably do it during the day when they can find more than just employees and people who have no other place to go after the bars close!:p

Seriously, that was just an example. I'm sure you are probably perfectly safe Jay :)
[/QUOTE

well if I die there goes ur chance of getting ur little mermaid DVD back that I took. :D

woofboy111

Just letting you know, Universal Parks are checking bags too. They have nothing when you enter the parking garage and citywalk (which I think is a mistake), and then when you enter the parks, they have a security guard for every turn style open checking people bags. Also, if you appear to have large pockets, they make you empty them as well.

nexus

Original Poster
If a terrorist was going to attack WDW, they probably would go for a resort before one of the parks. While hitting Cinderella's Castle would leave a lasting impression they could directly hurt more people by hitting a Wal-Mart. Everything at WDW is so spread out which fortunately makes it a very difficult target.

Very good point. I was wondering about that myself. I think any sort of terrorist would look for maximum casualties vs. lasting impressions. The WTC just happened to fit the bill for both circumstances.

nexus

Beauty and the

I think the lasting impressions idea is the most significant point, they could have hit the towers later in the day and killed more people. I think thats why the whole world is scared as every major landmark in any big city is now a possible target. Thats why we all have to stand together and be united in a quest for justice.

bear-san

Dealing with security

We're heading to WDW in November fro mWashington, DC. Hope to feel a bit more safe in Orlando.

It occurs to me that if high security will become more routine, Disney will work to make the process more comfortable, perhaps even entertaining for the large number of folks having to wait to go through the checkpoint. Viseo monitors to keep children amused, quiet metal detectors built into character costumes to rush things along . . .

Any other ideas?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom