Pin Trading: What's it all about?

Dwarful

I whole heartedly agree with picking a topic to collect. But if you can get cheap pins at the Disney Store ($1-$2) then those can be anything...as those would be pins you would trade at WDW for better pins. The one thing I looked at were the prices..thats how I got so many pins for $.62 to $1.12.
Each of our children (and our niece & nephews) each had a lanyard and they got to pick what they wanted to collect. The younger ones didnt really stick with a theme but just traded for ones that they liked. Either way they had a fun time trading and look forward to it now!

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Bloody typical, our stores dont carry them, well the few Ive been in. As a result its just buy buy buy nothing to trade.

My only tip would be if you see a pin you like buy it there and then or when you go back itll be gone:( as happened to me with the Halloween pins and mickey in a poncho) though i did get pigglet.

figmentmom

On my trip last summer to WDW, I swore I would NOT get caught up in the pin frenzy. That resolution lasted about two days! I didn't buy too many - only pins from resorts we'd stayed at in the past, and a Figment or two. I saw families dropping MAJOR amounts of money, though, and it's easy to do.

Geniuses at marketing as they are, Disney knows exactly how to make some pins more valuable than others - they simply make fewer of them! That old law of supply and demand kicks right in when you can't find that one pin you passed up yesterday, but couldn't get out of your mind.:lol:

Dwarful

Figmentmom is right on this one. I too was a mom that said "We are NOT doing that Pin thing!" but my sisters two children had traded before and they were with us. So we bought some cheap pins at the Disney Outlet in Missouri. Then we had a limit on the number of pins we would buy each child..we had 5 kids with us so limits were strictly enforced. It really helped that they had about 6 pins each before we got there to trade. the older kids were highly selective when making their purchases.

But my daughter who is 7 today really loves to get her lanyards down off the wall and look at them, she likes to do that almost as much as she likes to look at the photo albums and video!

the one good thing is they take up much less room than the large stuffed animals!

Dwarful

hey Happy Snapper, I'll send you plenty of the cheap pins for trading and you can send me some of those "walkers salt & vinegar crisps"!

DixieBelle97

I started pin trading in the summer of 2001 when I was with my dad in WDW. It's totally worth it b/c they're so pretty. My wonderful father buys them for me a lot.:sohappy:

I have between 200 and 300 now....at least I think around that many....:veryconfu

dizpins14

There are only pins for Yesterland attractions, if the attraction was open after pin trading started in 1999. Except for two exceptions, the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea Pin and a Sky Way pin, both limited edition. Disney used to sell pin before 99 however they were more general to Disney World, or even a movie. There is/was a pin for the Diamond Horseshoe Review, they might still sell it unless collectors have already picked them up.

Jodigrl328

I love pin trading. I think if you want to get in on it, it's best to find a pintrading style.

I like to collect all the pluto pins (my favorite character) and pins of all the hotels I stay at, and any others that catch my eye.

Some people might collect holiday pins, or park pins or limited edition pins. Find what works best for you and have fun.

Warning: It is an expensive habit. Sometimes I look at my lanyard and think "I could have went to Disneyworld for a weekend If I didn't have all those!!!"

Nineinchnailsmk

so its to my understanding that we should go out and buy cheap pins if we want to get started in this thing? Would that be the best bet?

What about the CMs, will they always trade no matter what pin you are offering? I mean, if i get one of these cheap 75 cent pins from Disney store, will they trade me one that they know is $5 or $6?

I guess im afraid of rejection...LOL!

Dwarful

yes they will trade with you as long as they dont already have that pin on display on their lanyard. They dont know if you got it cheap, traded it for a differnt one or found it on the ground! Thats the great thing..buy cheap, trade for ones you really like!
If you are close to a Disney Store then get as many as you can~ you'll be glad you did!

CREEKWAYNE

Originally posted by dreamer
How do pins become valuable?

How does one find out which pins are valuable?

These are a little tough to answer. It can mean a couple different things. But the best way to answer this is most pins that are "valuable" are usually limited editions,cast member pins,retired or only can be had a certain way(i.e. at a special event). There is one book out there that I am aware of that helps with rating these pins. It is put out by Disneyana. It kind of tells you what the range of $$ amount your pins should be worth if bought or sold.

frozenjill

I have a pin trading question.

I started a small pin collection last time we went to the World (1999- how last century!) and have been collecting from here and there ever since. It's a small, inexpensive sovenier from wherever we go.

So my question is, does anyone do NON disney pin trading at Disney World?

CREEKWAYNE

Originally posted by frozenjill
I have a pin trading question.

I started a small pin collection last time we went to the World (1999- how last century!) and have been collecting from here and there ever since. It's a small, inexpensive sovenier from wherever we go.

So my question is, does anyone do NON disney pin trading at Disney World?

Welcome to the boards frozenjill!!:sohappy: :sohappy: Non Disney pin trading is not supposed to be done at WDW with cast members. What you do with someone else is up to you. Trader beware.:goodnevil

Why is jill frozen?:lol: :lol:

frozenjill

Thanks Creekwayne! :) Happy to be here!

I'm frozen because it's 12 F here in Michigan. Been a chilly winter, REALLY ready for a trip to Florida, but we aren't going til March 8.

So, if I bring non Disney pins, non cast members COULD trade with me. So. Would any of you non cast members be interested in non Disney pins, or should I just leave 'em at home?

dizpins14

Leave them at home. The only non Disney Pins that are worth anything are Olympic and Hard Rock pins. People don't really know how much they are worth, so one is not really going to want to trade you a LE pin for something they've never heard of before.

dizpins14

These aren't personal Cast Members pins you are trading for, these are Disney's, so what ever mets Disney's guidelines (pick up a free pin trading guide from any of the major giftshops) is fare play. Now if you meet a Cast Member who is off duty, they are not eligable to trade. One thing that is kind of funny is when you get newbies coming up and looking at your personal laynard full of hard to find pins and want to trade a Flex pass pin for a LE, and will stand there and argue with you that you are obligated to trade because you are wearing a laynard. Some people just don't get it that you're a guest and spent a lot of money to get these pins.:brick:

CREEKWAYNE

Your welcome! It is about 25 here so I guess I can't complain. Thought we did get about 7" of snow today.:lookaroun Big change from being at WDW last week....as already stated by dizpins14. I would leave the non disney pins at home. It would be rather tough to find someone to trade with.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom