Pin Trading: What's it all about?

CamCodey

Pin-Trading Locations!

Hi!

We started pin-trading last August/September. We purchased some over eBay and had several from past trips. We have 3 sons (9, 7 & 3) and each had about 7-8 pins to start trading. They LOVED it!! It really helped them open up to go to CM's and look for pins. They also purchased pins with birthday $ that was converted to Disney $$ before our trip at the Disney Store. They will again have birthdays just before our next trip & we will recommend Disney $$ again (since we'll be there for Star Wars Weekends & I KNOW they will want as many Star Wars pins at they can get!) They each had their own thing: WDW attractions, Indiana Jones (completed 4-pin set while there!), Peter Pan & the littlest one just traded whatever struck him at the time! We used lanyards that the boys received from the Oriole's Dugout Club. Not Disney, but worked just the same. The best time had was pin-trading at the Contemporary. Here is the info:

MICKEY'S PIN TRADING NIGHTS at the WALT DISNEY WORLD Resort!
Join us from 7:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. for Mickey's Pin Trading Nights at the WALT DISNEY WORLD Resort!

Thursday nights at Disney's All Star Sports Resort
Friday nights at Disney's Contemporary Resort
Sunday nights at Disney's Boardwalk Resort

Children ages 6-14 are welcome in the Kids Zone!
Plenty of trading, lots of fun!

The boys had a wonderful time, but my neck hurt some days from carrying ALL THREE lanyards! LOL

We ran into a woman from New York who was traveling by herself at EPCOT. She approached us about pins & we were a little leary not knowing what to expect. She unrolled a HUGE piece of fabric with LOTS of pins on it and said, "I trade just like the CM's! Whatever pin you'd like to trade is fair game!" The boys traded their last pins and she is the one who told us about the Children's Pin-Trading. We mentioned that it was near the end of our trip & we had just run out of pins to trade. She said, "Don't worry, I have something for you!" She reached into another bag & pulled out 1 pin for each of them to trade and just GAVE them! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU if you're reading this!!

It really was magical!

I went to the Disney Store & purchased about 20 pins ($.69-$2.12 each) for each of the boys so hopefully they won't run out like they did before.

On our last trip we also purchased a Pin-Trading BACKPACK. It has 4 fabric "pages", which is great...one for each child & one for dh & I. It is a great way to store, carry & show their pins.

Enjoy your pin-trading!
:)
Deb

RU42

Pin trading is a lot of fun, especially if you interact with the CM. Take time to talk to them, maybe ask about their favorite.

My last trip (Jan 02) some of the best times was spent talking about it. One CM was a big Tink fan and told us a lot about different Tink pins.

Another person shared her experiences at the opening of AK (while I was trading a AK pin with her.)

I also focus on things I like; rides and specific movies. Makes the hunt fun when you find something you really like.

One suggestion, visit a Disney store and get some of the less costly pins to start trading with. CMs will never say no as long as it is a Disney pin.

My first few times trading I was a bit uncertain. But after you get a few under your belt, you can enhance your Disney experience.

RU

bhg469

my girlfriend is huge into pin trading but unfortunately there are alot of pin sharks, some people are so bad they send their kids to get them better pins so theres less of a chance they will say no. My girl was a cast member and that sort of thing would happen all the time. now im not a pin fan by far but the collections that fit together like the christmas pins from the disney store and the sets for each park that fit together to form a little map are very cool to look at. we actually are getting hers framed.

Shaman

I skip the whole trading part of the pin experience, I just buy the pins and collect them, wearing them on my lanyard as I cruise through WDW. As for sticking to a pin category or something like that so that you won't go all out and purchase the whole store, thats a great idea. Personally I collect three types:

:sohappy: Type One: Villains! (my fav. category)
Type Two: Good Guys!

Type Three: Resorts I stay at.

No one has ever come up to me and asked to trade, I guess they read the answer in my face (I love my pins too much to trade them!) But I guess I'm the only one that does that...:brick:

The main tip I can give is to watch how much money you spent on these things, don't get carried away. I often find my brother or sister holding me back as I am pulled into one of them pin trading carts.:lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom