Pin Trading Help

all41

Planning an August trip and want to let the kids do some Disney pin trading. Where can you buy inexpensive “lanyards”? It doesn’t have to say Disney on it. I’ve not been able to find anything similar in style to those I’ve seen in the parks.

Any suggestions on where I could buy a dozen "generic" Disney pins for the kids to trade at the park?

tigsmom

I've never seen lanyards that wide outside of Disney. People use vests (too hot in Aug), books, etc. Do you have a Disney Character Outlet near you? (stores that sell WDW overstocks) We had one in our local outlet mall, but it closed. I had gotten some great pins there for .50-1.25 each. The Disney Stores are having huge sales now...maybe you can get some pins there. (I did right before Christmas).

There are very strict rules about what constitutes a tradeable pin. I know there were pamphlets at the Disney Store, but the CMs can also help. Good Luck. We tried pin trading for the first time last year and my little one made 8 trades in one day and got some retired pins.

Upvote 0

Beachcluber

ok this is a family secret...

we use bottle straps!!! The ones they sell at the disney parks!!!

I lot of you may be saying...."ok come on...are you serious?!:rolleyes:" But it honestly works fantastic!

The strap is wide enough to hold pins...and is the same size if not longer than the "real" lanyards....

Its great because each kid can pick out one from there favorite park....and then it doubles for when they need to hold a bottle of soda or juice....
and for the bottle loop....you can pick up a keychain there with the kids name on it...

this really is a great idea...the bottle straps go for around $3.00...and a key chain isn't much...especially at your airport or local store...

This allows for each kid to have a personalizied and unique lanyard!

Upvote 0

s25843

Originally posted by all41
Planning an August trip and want to let the kids do some Disney pin trading. Where can you buy inexpensive “lanyards”? It doesn’t have to say Disney on it. I’ve not been able to find anything similar in style to those I’ve seen in the parks.

Any suggestions on where I could buy a dozen "generic" Disney pins for the kids to trade at the park?

I am pretty sure the pins need to be "Officially" Disney bought to be considered tradeable. I think I have a few pin trading links somewhere in my bookmarks. Let me try to find em and ill get back to you on that

Upvote 0

all41

Original Poster
I was going to buy some pins from a web site.
CheapPins
Those seem official to me. If there are any other providers, I'd like to hear about them. Prefer $2/pin than the $6.50 and up at the Parks.

Upvote 0

Dcp3000

When I went to Disney last aug. I to wanted to get into pin trading. However i didn't want to spend 6.50 and up for pins so i waited a few weeks and the disney store by me had a huge sale on pins. I got pins from 1.50 to 3.00 that are normaly 5.00 to 6.00 each. Do if i were you i would try a disney store near you they have some great sales. However i still want to get more for my trip this summer and every time i call the disney store by me they never know when and if there is going to be a sale, so i guess you will just have to try and hope for the best. I hope this can help you. Have fun on your trip.:) :cool:

Upvote 0

TURKEY

Some of the pins on that website look authentic, but maybe because they are old, a few look suspicious. I just picked random pages to look at.

In any pin you buy, make sure they have Disney printed/engraved on the back.

I would definitely hit the Disney outlet store.

If one isn't near, there used to be one at the Crossroads shopping area (I think) near Downtown Disney. I think there also was a store in the outlet mall near the Mary Queen of the Universe Shrine and the new Dixie Stampeed location. Both are on the DTD exit off of I4.

Upvote 0

dizpins14

my Disney Store has had pins for like 50 cents for a couple months now.......I guess that's why every lanyard on Disney Property is filled with those suckers:lol: :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

artvandelay

The outlet store at the Crossroads was closed when I was there in May. The Disney stores near me (Long island, NY) aren't selling pins any more. Instead of a lanyard, I put some of my pins on a hat. It worked out fine.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

I noticed that there weren't any pins in the stores by me, too. I thought it was because there are re-doing both stores.(at least that's what it looks like)

Upvote 0

all41

Original Poster
I'll have a car when I got in August so I could try the outlet stores.

The camera strap sounds like a good idea. I need a new tripod so I'll look when I go to get it.

My son had a tennis visor and put pins on it. With taking it on and off all the time, some pins came off and he lost them. That's why I want to try the lanyards.

Upvote 0

Stefffe

okay....

so where are the Outlets????

and someone mentioned somewhere in downtown disney?...they are cheap there???

or did i misread???

im getting these pins for a 6 yr old that may or may not give a flip about trading them.....so i dont want to invest TOO much $$$...but still want her to have them if she chooses to trade :)

and what rules?...other than they have to be disney pins....im just curious what to expect...

thanks...

:wave: ~stefffe~:wave:

Upvote 0

tigsmom

There are a few rules that need to be followed. They have to be official Disney pins , cloisonne (no rubber, plastic, cardboard, etc)
Pins from other Walt Disney affiliates are accecptabe (ESPN< ABC)
Must be in Good Undamaged condition
Trade 1 pin at a time, hand to hand.
Never touch someone else's collection
sets MUST be traded as sets, no service pins can be traded,
You may trade only one pin of the same style with a castmember.
Pins must be traded with their backs attatched.(for saftey)

There may be more, but that's all I can come up with.

Upvote 0

Stefffe

Originally posted by tigsmom
There are a few rules that need to be followed. They have to be official Disney pins , cloisonne (no rubber, plastic, cardboard, etc)
Pins from other Walt Disney affiliates are accecptabe (ESPN< ABC)
Must be in Good Undamaged condition
Trade 1 pin at a time, hand to hand.
Never touch someone else's collection
sets MUST be traded as sets, no service pins can be traded,
You may trade only one pin of the same style with a castmember.
Pins must be traded with their backs attatched.(for saftey)

There may be more, but that's all I can come up with.

cool....i am glad to know what my DD (and i) are up against when it comes to pin trading. I dont really know how interested she is gonna be..im hoping she is....

looks like im gonna have to make a trip to houston to the disney store to see what i can get.....do they sell the lanyards at the store?...or is that a disney property thing only??????

~stefffe~

Upvote 0

SpongeScott

themeparks.com has a good pin-trading article on their site.

1. make sure it's a Disney pin (says so on the back)
2. one for one trade
3. don't touch the CM or the lanyard--point to the one you want to trade
4. be courteous to the CM. They will trade with you if they don't have the pin you are offering, but courtesy goes a LONG way.
5. definitely trade for a pin that is hidden (you can't see what it is). Many times a CM will hide a retired pin this way.
6. Ebay is a good place to find some pins cheap, especially if you can get some in a lot.

There are more rules, but this and the other advice will get you started.

Upvote 0

Stefffe

Originally posted by SpongeScott
themeparks.com has a good pin-trading article on their site.

1. make sure it's a Disney pin (says so on the back)
2. one for one trade
3. don't touch the CM or the lanyard--point to the one you want to trade
4. be courteous to the CM. They will trade with you if they don't have the pin you are offering, but courtesy goes a LONG way.
5. definitely trade for a pin that is hidden (you can't see what it is). Many times a CM will hide a retired pin this way.
6. Ebay is a good place to find some pins cheap, especially if you can get some in a lot.

There are more rules, but this and the other advice will get you started.

:wave: taking notes furiously :wave:

~stefffe~

Upvote 0

cm1988

A plug for outlets

Originally posted by Stefffe
so where are the Outlets????

and someone mentioned somewhere in downtown disney?...
The Disney Store at the Crossroads (Character Connection, I think it was called) closed a few months ago. It wasn't an outlet... more like a Disney Store but I think run by WDW rather than the Disney Stores.

There's a Disney outlet at the Belz Factory mall (or used to be, anyway!); also, I think there's one at the new outlet mall near the Dixie Stampede (other side of I-4 near the 535 exit.)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom