Picking sides...Where do you stand about Disney World...

What team would you belong to?

• Team Disney

Votes: 115 48.3%
  • Team Disney Needs Work

Votes: 113 47.5%
  • Team Disney is dead

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Team Jimmy Thick?

Votes: 5 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster
Reading through all these threads when I have time, I still notice a huge amount of negativity from posters about the conditions surrounding the maintenance of a theme park. But while reading, I notice its usually the same people complaining, and complaining about Disney in general almost to the point where you just want to calmly ask them, U mad bro?

I personally think its a minority who is negative, so lets draw the line.

Where do you personally stand about the conditions at Disney World?

Now Iam try to simplify the teams so they are easily understood and easy to make a decision.

Team Disney- Members of this team are the kind of people who think of Disney World as a magical vacation destination and go simply to have fun with the parks and family. Team members are not worried about burnt out lightbulbs, chipped paint or the non working animatronic, they just want to go and enjoy themselves and get away from the real world. They believe in the magic.

Or...

Team Disney needs work- These team members believe the parks are still fun but the parks are in desperate need of general maintenance to the point where it breaks the illusion of a standard set over 30 years ago. Team members at times tend to complain about the smallest details Team Disney members don't notice at all.

And...

Team Disney is dead- Team members for this team will only go to Disney if the price is right, as in cheap, and would rather spend thier money at other vacation destination. This is due to any thing teams members are passionate about, maintenance, cost, Disney leadership, etc...

So where do you stand, and who stands with you?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Oh, if only the world was so readily typified.....

Oh, if only the OP's last name wasn't thick......

The Empress Lilly

Reading through all these threads when I have time, I still notice a huge amount of negativity from posters about the conditions surrounding the maintenance of a theme park. But while reading, I notice its usually the same people complaining, and complaining about Disney in general almost to the point where you just want to calmly ask them, U mad bro?

I personally think its a minority who is negative, so lets draw the line.

Where do you personally stand about the conditions at Disney World?

Now Iam try to simplify the teams so they are easily understood and easy to make a decision.

Team Disney- Members of this team are the kind of people who think of Disney World as a magical vacation destination and go simply to have fun with the parks and family. Team members are not worried about burnt out lightbulbs, chipped paint or the non working animatronic, they just want to go and enjoy themselves and get away from the real world. They believe in the magic.

Or...

Team Disney needs work- These team members believe the parks are still fun but the parks are in desperate need of general maintenance to the point where it breaks the illusion of a standard set over 30 years ago. Team members at times tend to complain about the smallest details Team Disney members don't notice at all.

And...

Team Disney is dead- Team members for this team will only go to Disney if the price is right, as in cheap, and would rather spend thier money at other vacation destination. This is due to any thing teams members are passionate about, maintenance, cost, Disney leadership, etc...

So where do you stand, and who stands with you?
Believe it or not, I share the opinion of all three teams. I even approve of Jimmy Thick too. ;)

However, I am not so schizophrenic that I think these three opinions are mutually exclusive. I don't feel torn between them, I can happily enjoy the parks as a magical place, and still greatly decry some very deplorable creative decisions WDW has made over the years.

I do not think of discussions about broken showboats in terms of opposing teams. There is no 'me vs you', no 'us vs. them'.

TaoBoxer

Though Jimmy Thick can be entertaining, I voted that Team Disney needs work. Too many cuts over the years. I could understand if "business " was off, but it's not. TD is becoming a typical bottom line company whose main concern is making cash for the executives.

puntagordabob

I do not believe that TDO is all bad... its just that they seem to tend to follow the idealogy that discounting and scaling back operations is the best way to gain better $returns$. I am not saying they always do that of course, there are exceptions where TDO goes above and beyond...BUT their unfortunate pattern of the discounts/cutbacks is longterm and really hard to dispute.

I just wish that the attitude the leadership has over at Tokyo Disney would rub off on TDO....they seem to believe that Plussing the hell out of everything brings them greater $returns$.... No Walmart Price cutting/discounting there to get folks in the door is needed.

It is my opinion (yeah and we all have one lol) that the Oriental Land Company's way of handling things is better for their resort long term....and that the pattern of TDO's discounting and scaling back operations is detrimental to our resort long term.

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster
Though Jimmy Thick can be entertaining, I voted that Team Disney needs work. Too many cuts over the years. I could understand if "business " was off, but it's not. TD is becoming a typical bottom line company whose main concern is making cash for the executives.

And what is wrong with a company trying to make as much money as possible? Avatar land is not going to be cheap, no matter what kind of numbers they are throwing around, it will more than likely cost over a billion dollars. That money has to come from somewhere.

Jimmy Thick-The plot thickens...

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
And what is wrong with a company trying to make as much money as possible? Avatar land is not going to be cheap, no matter what kind of numbers they are throwing around, it will more than likely cost over a billion dollars. That money has to come from somewhere.

And where is it said that profit should come at the expense of basic maintenance and/or new investment in the parks?

And no one has said the Avatar expansion would be over a billion dollars. What has been said to be that amount is the Next Gen project, which while it may have some nice aspects, could serve the parks better by using some of those funds elsewhere.

Jimmy Thick- The thick gets thicker.....

EaglesfanNJ

First off, well done... this was much better than "Should Disney open its doors to JUST resort guests"

I'm in the minority on this one.. I'm Team Disney. Listen, I'm never going to deny that the parks need a lot of work. But I've got news for you, that's the cycle, such is life. I plunk down my hard earned money to take my kids on a Disney vacation... You really think i'm going to let a non-working Yeti ruin my vacation? The first time my 3 year old looked down Main Street, and saw Cinderella's Castle, brought tears to my eyes and will be a memory i will carry forever. I most certainly was not sitting there saying "Oh look that lightbulb is out, just ruining the magic for me already"

We go to Disney because we love it there. There will always be room for improvement, just like anything else in this world. If we ever stop having fun we'll stop going. Not everything has to be disected down to it's last nut and bolt.

UPbeekeeper

Personally, I feel that your Disney experiences are quite similar to your life experiences. If you continually go out of your way to look for negatives and things that are wrong, you are guaranteed to find them. If you actually look for the positives, you are a happier person and enjoy life. Not trying to tell anyone how to live their lives, just explaining how I live mine, and how I experience Disney. I know most people will disagree, but to each their own.

Some folks like to stop and smell the roses....others complain because they have thorns, they are expensive to buy...you get the idea.

melmood2000

First off, well done... this was much better than "Should Disney open its doors to JUST resort guests"

I'm in the minority on this one.. I'm Team Disney. Listen, I'm never going to deny that the parks need a lot of work. But I've got news for you, that's the cycle, such is life. I plunk down my hard earned money to take my kids on a Disney vacation... You really think i'm going to let a non-working Yeti ruin my vacation? The first time my 3 year old looked down Main Street, and saw Cinderella's Castle, brought tears to my eyes and will be a memory i will carry forever. I most certainly was not sitting there saying "Oh look that lightbulb is out, just ruining the magic for me already"

We go to Disney because we love it there. There will always be room for improvement, just like anything else in this world. If we ever stop having fun we'll stop going. Not everything has to be disected down to it's last nut and bolt.

I agree 100% :wave:

CountryBearFan

I share that same sentiment, my friend.

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I voted team Disney,
Having travelled halfway round the world i wont let the small things ruin a fantastic holiday.yes there are things that could be improved but i wont loose any sleep over that.

Jimmy Thick...only around cause Chuck Norris lets him live !

Thrill

Maximizing profit is fine. But what Disney is doing is putting short term profit over the long term stability. Ride closures are few and far between, as they fear that people will get aggravated that "I go once every 7 years, and I can't even ride Space Mountain!" However, in the future, people will be getting aggravated that "I come here every 7 years and Space Mountain is falling apart!"
Always a trade-off.

There's a difference between cost and value. Wizarding World of Harry Potter is value. About $200 million for a deeply themed area and an innovative attraction. Most of Disney's recent projects (Yes, even at Disneyland), have been incredibly inefficient with spending, from where I see it. DCA's expansion is large, but over a billion dollars? Fantasyland is good, but about $300 million for this? 50% more cost than Harry Potter?

And where is it said that profit should come at the expense of basic maintenance and/or new investment in the parks?

And no one has said the Avatar expansion would be over a billion dollars. What has been said to be that amount is the Next Gen project, which while it may have some nice aspects, could serve the parks better by using some of those funds elsewhere.

I've also read that Next Gen could be a bit more than a billion, which is insane.
If we want to talk inefficiency, that's it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom