PI Construction

Thelazer

The reason why they removed the turnstyles is to create a "Faimly" area that connects both the westside and market place. As you've seen the "Hill Street" is undergoing a rehab and the party is being "Toned" down quite a bit. In another years time, some of those clubs will no longer be clubs. No way in hell the turnstyles will be brought back. PI is done for, look for the name change this summer.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
The reason why they removed the turnstyles is to create a "Faimly" area that connects both the westside and market place. As you've seen the "Hill Street" is undergoing a rehab and the party is being "Toned" down quite a bit. In another years time, some of those clubs will no longer be clubs. No way in hell the turnstyles will be brought back. PI is done for, look for the name change this summer.

And you know this how?

SIR90210

What's this about changing admission age requirements? Will they still allow under 18's into CW and AC with an adult over 21?

DisResortLuvr

How is it being made into a "family area" if they are supposedly going to change the age limit to 21 (according to other posts)? Disney has enough family areas, they should leave the one adult area alone.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
How is it being made into a "family area" if they are supposedly going to change the age limit to 21 (according to other posts)? Disney has enough family areas, they should leave the one adult area alone.

I agree. :wave:

I would go as far as to say that raising the limit would also keep out some undesirable elements out of Pleasure Island. Let them have CityWalk.

liquid toez

Annual Pass

I think the PI annual pass for about $50 is the best deal around the greater Orlando area for the locals. It pays for itself after just a few visits. I go to PI just about every weekend and I can tell you that its rare that there are kids to trip over as the night approaches the midnight hour. I like the fact that there is tight security there - it keeps the area safe and everyone in line without any unneceesary intimidation, and without compromising the fun-factor.

It's true 8 Trax and Motion attract a decent crowd , while Mannequins is not so crowded. I think people find it easier to dance to Disco at 8 Trax and top 40 at Motion as opposed to dancing to the faster pace of Techno at Mannequins.

Good post Master Yoda about "diminishing returns" I forgot about that concept from my Economics class.

neuromantic

That will always be the case when there is admission to an establishment but from a business perspective you don't want those types in your establishment anyway. It would be better to have 100 people in a club that spend $20 than 400 that spend $5. If PI was completely free you would wind up with more people but not necessarily more money.

I have to disagree. :( Based on that logic, it would be even better to have just 20 people in a club the whole night who spend $100.00 each because it is the same revenue. But what is forgotten in this logic is that people go to a club to be :D "where the party is" ...Most of those 20 people (or the more realistic higher but still sparce numbers that show up on some of the emptier club nights at PI) will think that the club choice they made was a dud and that their decision to have come there was a bad one. Next time they will search out a more crowded/happening place. Clubbing after all is about meeting and interacting with people. If it was just about drinking and hanging out, one could do that in their hotel room for much less coin. Over time, clubs that are not well attended, become even less so as patrons seek out where the happening places are.

I don't think PI should be completely free. It should simply be charging what the rest of the club market in Orlando is charging. Disney cannot get away with charging a premium over that rate on places that are half empty without making us feel like it is a bit of a rip-off. Most clubs I go to back home have at most a $7 to $10 entrance fee. This seems much more reasonable. :rolleyes:

I assume that Disney eliminated the initial "must pay $20 to enter PI" requirement partly because that is the way Citywalk is set up (anyone can walk around... entering clubs require a fee). This shows that they recognize that there is some value in having more bodies circulating the place to make it seem more "happening".

What is the cover charge to Church Street Station and the clubs over there? Also what do they charge to get into each Citywalk club?

Empress Room

I
What is the cover charge to Church Street Station and the clubs over there? Also what do they charge to get into each Citywalk club?

According to their respective websites, Church Street Station charges $12.67 plus parking (unknown) and Citywalk charges any where from $5.00 to $9.00 per club (or a $9.95 all-club pass). Citywalk also charges $10 to park (a necessity unless you're staying on Universal property).

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I have to disagree. :( Based on that logic, it would be even better to have just 20 people in a club the whole night who spend $100.00 each because it is the same revenue. But what is forgotten in this logic is that people go to a club to be :D "where the party is" ...Most of those 20 people (or the more realistic higher but still sparce numbers that show up on some of the emptier club nights at PI) will think that the club choice they made was a dud and that their decision to have come there was a bad one. Next time they will search out a more crowded/happening place. Clubbing after all is about meeting and interacting with people. If it was just about drinking and hanging out, one could do that in their hotel room for much less coin. Over time, clubs that are not well attended, become even less so as patrons seek out where the happening places are.

I don't think PI should be completely free. It should simply be charging what the rest of the club market in Orlando is charging. Disney cannot get away with charging a premium over that rate on places that are half empty without making us feel like it is a bit of a rip-off. Most clubs I go to back home have at most a $7 to $10 entrance fee. This seems much more reasonable. :rolleyes:

I assume that Disney eliminated the initial "must pay $20 to enter PI" requirement partly because that is the way Citywalk is set up (anyone can walk around... entering clubs require a fee). This shows that they recognize that there is some value in having more bodies circulating the place to make it seem more "happening".

The numbers were just pulled out of thin air to prove a point which was that more volume does not necessarily equal more profit.

No cover charge would definitely increase volume but it doest not necessarily mean that the extra people coming in would spend enough to off set the lost revenue from the cover charge and the increased operating costs that would be incurred by a higher volume. If it were always true that more volume means more profit then why not offer free admission to the movies. The volume of people would increase dramatically but it is doubtful that the sale of popcorn would increase enough to cover the lost income.

The most logical reason I can surmise for the removal of the turnstiles was because the QSL eateries and shops were getting little to no business. People went to PI to go to clubs and not to eat or shop.

And the $7 to $10 cover charge is possible at PI. All of the clubs with the exception of AC and CW can be gotten into for $10 on a single club ticket. CW and AC are more like shows than clubs so the higher cost is somewhat justified.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I could be totally wrong on this one, but I would think you could not compare DTD and CW to your standard clubbing scene. I would think that your theory that people go to clubs to be part of the "scene" makes sense in a non resort atmosphere since you have the opportunity to meet people etc, and have the chance of seeing them there again. At DTD, since a significant portion of the patrons at the PI clubs are short term guests, I dont see alot of people being attracted to them for that reason.

I personally would rather go to the AC with smaller crowds than with standing room only....

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I could be totally wrong on this one, but I would think you could not compare DTD and CW to your standard clubbing scene. I would think that your theory that people go to clubs to be part of the "scene" makes sense in a non resort atmosphere since you have the opportunity to meet people etc, and have the chance of seeing them there again. At DTD, since a significant portion of the patrons at the PI clubs are short term guests, I dont see alot of people being attracted to them for that reason.

I personally would rather go to the AC with smaller crowds than with standing room only....
Amen to that. Some of the best shows I have seen at AC were when it was a ghost town.

liquid toez

According to their respective websites, Church Street Station charges $12.67 plus parking (unknown) and Citywalk charges any where from $5.00 to $9.00 per club (or a $9.95 all-club pass). Citywalk also charges $10 to park (a necessity unless you're staying on Universal property).

City Walk has always had free parking after 8pm as far as I know.

Mr Disney

In the Parks
Yes
When does the new 21 and up only rule go into effect? I wonder what all the 18-20 year olds will do once they can't get into Motion or the other clubs.:sohappy:

I can tell you that they will all be POed... I worked on PI for the Spring Advantage College Program and was there when the age change from "accompanied by an adult" to 18 and older went into effect at BET Soundstage. Since I was in the ticket booth AND at the clubs on some nights, I can tell you that guests do NOT like being told that they (or their kids) can't come in a club.

Mr Disney

In the Parks
Yes
^^ An entire thread is devoted to that debate. :)

According to a member of PI management, their biggest concern is that the Island attracts more CPs than anyone else. Locals rarely go to PI, and most visiting Guests simply don't find time for it anymore. PI is also much tamer than the clubs at Church Street Station, and that's where tourists are now flocking. On top of those issues, WDW's immense expansion has, in a way, made PI less of a must-see for Guests who have spent all day trecking the parks.

In my opinion, Disney should get out of the dance club business altogether, and focus more on nightlife like Jellyrolls, ESPN, and the Adventurer's Club. These aren't the disco 70s and dance hits 80s, and clubs in general have developed a much different reputation. But I'm too tired to go into my reasoning...:snore:

yeah... CPs were very prominent there... and i saw plenty of them get termed for underage drinking... :brick:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom