PI Construction

RPMdfw

think about it...if you're a local, why would you go somewhere and pay $20 bucks to get in, and then pay $6 a beer?

No, you'd do what the rest of us that are local do. Either get a Premium Annual Pass that includes PI entry or you buy a Pleasure Island Annual Passs. That makes the "Per night cover charge" negligible.

The PI pass is less than three night's admission, so if you go 3 times a year it's paid for, plus you can bring a guest on Friday nights for free.

Total no brainer. I can't believe anyone would actually think locals pay full price every time they go.

Nana birdie

I think PI is a mess right now. It will get better. I work there next Monday and Tuesday. I asked a manager last week when it is suppose to be finished. He said he has been promised that it would be done by Christmas. We do a lot of conventions, company parties, etc. at that time of the year. The parking lot will be torn up for a long time as they start building T-Rex restaurant. I worked buses the other night and the new traffic pattern is interesting. Adventure Club is still great. Ragland Road has added new menu items which are good. I'm talking about the outside dining part.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I think the cover charge turns the tourist off. You pay a more than fair price to get into the parks why not leave the doors of the clubs open for free. After a day in the parks its nice to go to PI for a drink and a bit of nightlife but, with a $20 cover?:veryconfu
I'll agree $20 for 1 night is a little steep but there are many options that really cut that number down. For a regular tourist a 5 night pass can be had for about $26. For a regular Florida tourist or AP holder with a DDE card a one night ticket is only $10 and a 5 night pass only $15. With the exception of AC and CW you can get a 1 club ticket for $10. Also if a person baulks at the $20 cover what do you think there are going to think about $6 beers?
I think they might be well served by dropping the price a little but not lower that $15.

LuLaSue

I'll agree $20 for 1 night is a little steep but there are many options that really cut that number down. For a regular tourist a 5 night pass can be had for about $26. For a regular Florida tourist or AP holder with a DDE card a one night ticket is only $10 and a 5 night pass only $15. With the exception of AC and CW you can get a 1 club ticket for $10. Also if a person baulks at the $20 cover what do you think there are going to think about $6 beers?
I think they might be well served by dropping the price a little but not lower that $15.
Understood:)

In NY $6 for a beer is the going rate, we are used to that:(

VillanovaBlue

Original Poster
No cover charge would destroy PI. By charging a cover charge they weed out people that would go to PI and not spend a dime. Sure there would be tons more people there but many of them would just be hanging out and not spending any money. If a local likes PI an AP is only $55 per year. WDW is not really concerned about locals. There bread is buttered by the out of town tourists and that is who they are going to try and please.

Tirian had the right idea. Disney needs to get out of the dance club business and focus on clubs of the AC and CW ilk.

This would have been true back when the whole island was closed unless you paid admission...now, you can just "hang out" without going to the clubs anyway...my point is, if you're concerned (as was expressed by someone in an earlier post) about not getting enough local (and guest) business, then one way to do it would be to remove the most obvious barrier stopping people from going in and doing more than "hanging out". I agree with some of the others that a lot of people don't end up paying the full admission every time (AP holders, etc.), but I would guess there are at least as many who don't even go at all because of the admission...

And I agree about the dance clubs...I know Mannequins gets crowded, but every time I have been in Motion, it's mostly empty...but I guess the teens need someplace to hang out too... :rolleyes:

tirian

Where's that thread?

If they fix the walkway issue between Marketplace and PI, they'll fix 99% of their Guest-flow problems. Too bad the current redesign only concentrates on the West Side entry.

I don't know where the thread is, but I remember discussing this with several members over several pages.

tirian

No, you'd do what the rest of us that are local do. Either get a Premium Annual Pass that includes PI entry or you buy a Pleasure Island Annual Passs. That makes the "Per night cover charge" negligible.

The PI pass is less than three night's admission, so if you go 3 times a year it's paid for, plus you can bring a guest on Friday nights for free.

Total no brainer. I can't believe anyone would actually think locals pay full price every time they go.

The problem is that compared to the population of Orlando and its surrounding areas, few locals actually support PI, yet the other club locations are packed. On top of that, CMs (including CPs) always get in for free on Thursdays; and depending on the time of year, we get in for free every day but Fridays and Saturdays.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
This would have been true back when the whole island was closed unless you paid admission...now, you can just "hang out" without going to the clubs anyway...my point is, if you're concerned (as was expressed by someone in an earlier post) about not getting enough local (and guest) business, then one way to do it would be to remove the most obvious barrier stopping people from going in and doing more than "hanging out". I agree with some of the others that a lot of people don't end up paying the full admission every time (AP holders, etc.), but I would guess there are at least as many who don't even go at all because of the admission...
And I agree about the dance clubs...I know Mannequins gets crowded, but every time I have been in Motion, it's mostly empty...but I guess the teens need someplace to hang out too... :rolleyes:
That will always be the case when there is admission to an establishment but from a business perspective you don't want those types in your establishment anyway. It would be better to have 100 people in a club that spend $20 than 400 that spend $5. If PI was completely free you would wind up with more people but not necessarily more money.

VillanovaBlue

Original Poster
That will always be the case when there is admission to an establishment but from a business perspective you don't want those types in your establishment anyway. It would be better to have 100 people in a club that spend $20 than 400 that spend $5. If PI was completely free you would wind up with more people but not necessarily more money.

Actually, wouldn't you want as many people as possible?

At any rate, my point is that if there are already X number of people hanging around, because they can, and it's free to do so, logically you'd get more of them going into the clubs and spending more $$ if admission to the clubs was also free (they may not want to spend $20 to get in, but they'd be fine with buying a few drinks for $15-20). Furthermore, you'd end up with more people overall because the ones that wouldn't even "hang out" at PI (because of admission) would also come to the clubs (or at least some portion of them would).

However, I do agree with you that I don't really think Disney is all that concerned about attendance at PI...I doubt they want it to look anything like Church St Station does on a Friday Night...:D

Hey, 50 posts...yahoo!!

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member

At any rate, my point is that if there are already X number of people hanging around, because they can, and it's free to do so, logically you'd get more of them going into the clubs and spending more $$ if admission to the clubs was also free (they may not want to spend $20 to get in, but they'd be fine with buying a few drinks for $15-20). Furthermore, you'd end up with more people overall because the ones that wouldn't even "hang out" at PI (because of admission) would also come to the clubs (or at least some portion of them would).

However, I do agree with you that I don't really think Disney is all that concerned about attendance at PI...I doubt they want it to look anything like Church St Station does on a Friday Night...:D

Hey, 50 posts...yahoo!!

Disney has been in the business long enough to have already considered this. Believe me, if they made more money by having free admission, they would have done it. Take the above concept and apply it to the theme parks. Why doesnt Disney not have free admission to MK? Because if they did, they would have so many people they would have to turn people away, would have significant customer complaint issues because of impossible lines, would not be able to keep up with daily grounds maintenance, etc. Its better to limit the total number of people and charge a per person fee. They remain in control that way.

kachow

Hey, 50 posts...yahoo!!

You're assuming that everyone going in for free will be drinking. The cover is likely there to cover the entertainment at clubs like AC, CW, and RnRBC against people that would just go for those shows. The other way you could handle it would be calling it a drink-minimum and provide drink coupons with admission, but I've always found that to be cheesy and you shouldn't try to force people to drink anyway.

Plus, as others have said, there's only a small amount of people that actually pay $20 per visit. I'm going for a week next month and I think I paid $45 for the "and more" package, which will get me into TL ($30 value), DQ (another $30 I think), and PI for the week. People in Orlando buy an AP, and guests add it to their ticket. If you only want to go once in your life, yes you will get hosed, but it's no different at the parks.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

Hey, 50 posts...yahoo!!
Not really. Increased volume can cause diminishing returns.

Every person that enters a club essentially costs the club money. This cost comes from the money paid to the bar staff, wait staff, electricity, maintenance etc. If someone comes in for free and spends little or no money then the club will loose money on that person. A cover charge not only helps to recoup the money used to operate the establishment but it helps to keep out the freeloaders that will walk in soak up the atmosphere and the entertainment and not spend a dime. The analogy I used previously generated a gross income of $2000 but in theory the 400 customers would in-cure 4 times the amount of operating cost thereby dropping the net profit.

The same scenario can happen in almost every business. In my field, home construction, you will see companies that build 500 homes a year but only make a few thousand dollars on each house. Then there are companies that build 20 houses a year and make a quarter of a million or more on each house. The volume based company will have multiple offices and dozens of employees where the low volume company will have 1 small office and less than 10 employees. When it all breaks down at the end of the year the low volume builder will make more net profit.

tirian

well you obviously didnt work at the missing link

Nope, and I didn't search for it on purpose. Like too many other threads, that one turned into a big argument. I didn't want to bring it back up. :(

Don't forget that you can always search for it yourself. :wave:

DisResortLuvr

I have been to PI a bunch of times in the past few weeks and always noticed that Mannequins has been sooo empty while Motion and 8trax are packed. Mannequins used to always be packed when I went to PI. Besides having to be over 21, perhaps the lack of attendance there is due to the music? If people seem to be hanging out more listening to Top 40 or disco, maybe the techno thing needs to be looked at. Don't get me wrong, I like techno, however, the admission is no different for Mannequins then it is for Motion or 8 trax (except for being 21), so why the difference in crowds (and before anyone mentions it, a good part of the crowds in Motion and 8trax were over 21 as well). After all, Mannequins has the floor!!

The other issue I have is with removing the turnstiles to get onto the island. I can't think that tripping over a 2 year old at 1am because the parents did not have enough common sense not to bring them to a club environment sparks any huge desires for people to come to PI now, especially locals. I say bring back the entrance turnstiles and lower the admission price. After all, City Walk charges less and their clubs are always packed. I have a premium annual as well so I don't pay to get in, however, $21.95 seems a bit much for tourists to pay just to get into the clubs (especially since they do not really get busy until 10 or 11 pm anyway).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom