PI changes...?

bob0012

I don't really think anyone goes there anymore (hence the reason it needs to change), I'd imagine it'll take a while, but someone will make a special trip just to find out.

speck76

mousermerf said:
Did they really stop doing nightly fireworks?

yes....there are no more fireworks

I was there on 12/30 and 1/1.....12/30 was "this is the last NYE that is not acutally NYE ever" and 1/1 was "there are no more crappy fireworks at midnight.

Greg34

Change would definetly be good for PI! there fireworks were nothing great I event remember one night the DJ made a comment "don't blink you'll miss them"

Mimi

I heard through a couple of sources that the place is not only declining in quality but that it is also getting sort of 'seedy.' I also know someone who found a six-inch switch blade on the floor of a men's room there. So, even though I haven't been there in a while, I'm thinking some changes might be good.

mills

I was there in 2004 and 2005. In 04, it was completely dead, with no fireworks, no live bands, no people. In 05, when they started to charge for club entraces, there seemed to be more people and at least the had a live band at the rock n roll beach club(if that's the name). This was in October and they still had the (lame) fireworks. It didn't seem seedy at all to me, but I was only there on two nights.

Jose Eber

I prefer Disneyland's and even Paris's Downtown Disney to ours. I like West Sieeeeeede though (yeh yeh! ).

PI is a tad grungy. It totally looked cool at the beginning, but if any of you have been to Disneylands Downtown Disney (don't look at size, just the quality of it) you'll see its got some great restaurant, isn't as seedy as WDW's PI/Marketplace area AND they have a monorail station in it that takes you right to a park!!!!. Go monorail.

A lot of that area could be cleaned up. Even (can't believe I'm saying this because of all the good memories there) Disney Marketplace could get a serious facelift/teardown. Its hard to walk around there on a busy night. West Side is different.

I like the new restaurant at PI, that's a change for the better! Great food and reasonably priced!

jedimaster1227

PI has once again become an open area to the public. No payment is required to get into the area, just the clubs. It used to be like this, back when I was really young, so when I found out that they re-opened it to everyone, I was exstatic:sohappy:

nyfrenchy

I went to PI often during the sumer 97, I loved that place... Back then bands were playing both at the beach club and on the central stage. Also there used to be performers at the mannequin and on that little stage nearby. I also remember they had video DJs on the tower next to it.

I returned to PI sporadically the past 3 years and found all the above and excitement gone.

I still love The Adventurers Club and the Comedy Warehouse, which are now the only two reasons for me to go to PI.

markc

PI is far from getting seedy; If you want to point blame on it's decline or claim that it's cliente is more "seedy", blame that squarely on the fact that they allow free admission to the streets now; as every thug within a 30 mile radius hangs out there now on a friday/saturday night. on the Weekdays though, it's still a nice, fun place to hang out. If the right band is there, the Rock n roll beach club is an awesome place, Motion is decent, Mannequins is good, BET Soundstage is alright..at best; and the Comedy Warehouse and Adventure's Club is great (allthough i'm not sure that the Adventurers Club has a place in the club scene in this day and age).

Mimi said:
I heard through a couple of sources that the place is not only declining in quality but that it is also getting sort of 'seedy.' I also know someone who found a six-inch switch blade on the floor of a men's room there. So, even though I haven't been there in a while, I'm thinking some changes might be good.

bsandersjr

markc said:
PI is far from getting seedy; If you want to point blame on it's decline or claim that it's cliente is more "seedy", blame that squarely on the fact that they allow free admission to the streets now; as every thug within a 30 mile radius hangs out there now on a friday/saturday night. on the Weekdays though, it's still a nice, fun place to hang out. If the right band is there, the Rock n roll beach club is an awesome place, Motion is decent, Mannequins is good, BET Soundstage is alright..at best; and the Comedy Warehouse and Adventure's Club is great (allthough i'm not sure that the Adventurers Club has a place in the club scene in this day and age).

Yep. Noticed the "thugs" on our last trip (12/05).
Boy, it's kinda funny seeing some woman dressed up with her hanging out, picking up on dudes, all while pushing her child in a stroller. :lol: :lol: :hammer:

Teenchy

markc said:

AMEN! The change happened when they started letting everyone in for free and at any age. I see 15-18 yr. old break dancers spinning on the ground near the big stage and as usual only a small bad element can ruin the entire good group of kids that can come in for free.

And Its not like I'm some old guy, I'm in my late 30's...heck I was in the first part of the hip-hop generation (Sugarhill Gang, Grand Master Flash Run-Dmc, etc)

My biggest fear is the AC and CW will be the first to go if Disney opens it up to big company chain restaurants and such.

BRER STITCH

The RUMOR that keeps re-surfacing in my circle of knowledge is that a new Bowling Alley Complex is about to be signed into being for WDW. We have them up here in PA, MI, and NJ already, and there others around the country.

Watch for "LUCKY STRIKE" to be one of the first new "private" investments in the "newly-focused" Pleasure Island complex.

CHECK OUT THIS ARTICLE ABOUT THEIR NEWEST LOCATION IN MIAMI:

http://www.southbeach-usa.com/miami-beach-news/miami-beach-news-6.htm

In my opinion, the name "Pleasure Island" needs to be one of the first things to go to "re-imagine" the place.

Stay Tuned!...and REMEMBER....a RUMOR is just THAT! :wave:

Ducky_Love

Teenchy said:
My biggest fear is the AC and CW will be the first to go if Disney opens it up to big company chain restaurants and such.

I share that fear. I just pray they aren't leveled for some dance club or another place to eat. That would be terrible! There is nothing like them.. :cry:

ChadLP02

I think I could go with the lucky strike rumor as well from what I understand. Also that this island will undergo major changes. I'm just wondering how they will close it down, probably in sections or something like that so they can keep it open of course. Raglan Road is awesome and I can imagine the rest of the island looking a lot like it, more upscale. Westend stage I think is definitely going down, and more than likely that yellow bridge! but who knows until it's done. The whole idea is to have one straight walk from westside to marketplace. I also think they are going to be opening up a waterfront view as well somewhere. It's still all speculation though until it's announced. I would expect another full-scale restaraunt and the bowling alley, and have them reducing the number of clubs so they are filled more consistently.

Mannoroth

BRER STITCH said:
In my opinion, the name "Pleasure Island" needs to be one of the first things to go to "re-imagine" the place.

Why? The name Pleasure Island is a reference to a Disney classic. It should stay. If you think it was named simply for its adult connotations ... well, you're very incorrect.

sgmco

Mannoroth said:
Why? The name Pleasure Island is a reference to a Disney classic. It should stay. If you think it was named simply for its adult connotations ... well, you're very incorrect.

Actually the name "Pleasure Island" has to do with the island's backstory, including its ownership by Merriweather Pleasure, and doesn't have anything to do with the "Pleasure Island" that is mentioned in "Pinocchio". Sadly much of the backstory has gone by the wayside, but you can occasionally find plaques on buildings that tell some of the story.

speck76

sgmco said:
Actually the name "Pleasure Island" has to do with the island's backstory, including its ownership by Merriweather Pleasure, and doesn't have anything to do with the "Pleasure Island" that is mentioned in "Pinocchio". Sadly much of the backstory has gone by the wayside, but you can occasionally find plaques on buildings that tell some of the story.
the backstory died when the Fireworks Factory closed :(

crazycalf

sgmco said:

The name may not have to do with the movie but if you think about it, when some people drink they do turn into...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom