PI changes...?

BRER STITCH

Mannoroth said:
Why? The name Pleasure Island is a reference to a Disney classic. It should stay. If you think it was named simply for its adult connotations ... well, you're very incorrect.

Err......OK? :veryconfu

It's a simple matter of re-branding. New image, new name.

But thanks for the very far off assumption and unecessary admonition!

:wave: :brick:

RPMdfw

Ducky_Love said:
I share that fear. I just pray they aren't leveled for some dance club or another place to eat. That would be terrible! There is nothing like them.. :cry:

We've gotten word from a source high up and WDW entertainment that the AC and CW are "safe" for the upcoming changes. That said, we should all continue to support them. The better their profit margins are, the less likely they'll be closed.

PhotoDave219

RPMdfw said:
We've gotten word from a source high up and WDW entertainment that the AC and CW are "safe" for the upcoming changes. That said, we should all continue to support them. The better their profit margins are, the less likely they'll be closed.

And judging by the number of special events that are held at AC... i doubt its going anywhere. These rumors have swirled for as long as ive lived here.....

No need to panic until the demolition equipment shows up.

And thank god the whole NYE lameness is OVER.

PhotoDave219

BRER STITCH said:
Err......OK? :veryconfu

It's a simple matter of re-branding. New image, new name.

But thanks for the very far off assumption and unecessary admonition!

:wave: :brick:

I believe it was a Pinnocchio reference......

Honestly, as much of rebranding or renaming can acomplish, it cant change the quality and the quality is about as good as you can get in a disney atmosphere....... EXCEPT for the fact that its not ungated (like citywalk). I dont drink at PI anymore because Im tired of turning around and seeing 4 years olds after i've had a boatload of vodka.

The model and pardigm is inherently flawed; nightclubs and family entertainment really dont mix.

ChadLP02

RPMdfw said:

I think Mannequins is safe as well, but there could be a music format change if Motion goes down. Motion is in the way of the whole "straight shot" walkway idea. But...Motion can hold a lot of people, and when filled, it's a pretty busy place. I've also been to special events held inside and and they have been really nice. I heard that they've put dancers back on the stage at mannequins on thurs/fri/sat nights now...so they are putting more money into the club...as well as they added more white smoke "shooters" from above, there used to be 4, now there's like 10 so the whole floor goes to smoke now which is cool.

axcreations

I remember....

I remember back when I was in the college program in the Spring of 1996 that the place was usually packed nightly. The NYE party was actually cool with bands at the stage, the countdown, and the rediculious amount of confetti that was dropped at midnight. The first time seeing all the confitti with the streets packed was a site that I will never forget.

When I went back a few years ago with friends that had never seen it, I told them to be prepared for something like you have never seen. Imagine my disappointment when there was one blast of fireworks, and no confetti whatsoever. I still get made fun of about jocking it up so much.

My question is...what happended? Why did they change? It seemed to me that they had to be making TONS of money.(place was packed), and they charged an entrance fee.

All I know is that I will go going there in September with some different friends, and I honestly think I might just go to Universal Citywalk or something instead. It's a shame.

ChadLP02

axcreations said:
I remember back when I was in the college program in the Spring of 1996 that the place was usually packed nightly. The NYE party was actually cool with bands at the stage, the countdown, and the rediculious amount of confetti that was dropped at midnight. The first time seeing all the confitti with the streets packed was a site that I will never forget.

When I went back a few years ago with friends that had never seen it, I told them to be prepared for something like you have never seen. Imagine my disappointment when there was one blast of fireworks, and no confetti whatsoever. I still get made fun of about jocking it up so much.

My question is...what happended? Why did they change? It seemed to me that they had to be making TONS of money.(place was packed), and they charged an entrance fee.

All I know is that I will go going there in September with some different friends, and I honestly think I might just go to Universal Citywalk or something instead. It's a shame.

The confetti was a mess to clean up and was going into the lake I think as they cleaned it every night...and b/c of competition from around the area, the place was losing money. Ungating the island up created drink sales outside the clubs. When the island ungated everyone watched the entertainment on westend stage and didn't go into the clubs. So, they put bands inside RRBC instead to counter it. Therefore no real need for the stage anymore except for the new years eve celebration (which already lost a lot w/ no confetti and bands), and then the monthly celebrations it'd have, for like cinco de mayo and things like that. Basically there's a lot of things that have led to one thing after another, and is why there's no theme of new years eve anymore. Now that all of that is gone away, it's a sign of probably some big changes to come I'd imagine.

GaryT977

I go to PI just about every Monday and Thursday ($2 draft beer!), and the place is far from seedy. That being said, there are some changes that are supposed to be coming, starting with the demolition of the west end stage, at least from what I've been told.

One of the castmembers also told me that 8-Trax makes the most money, and the Adventurers Club has the highest guest satisfaction rating (and with their stellar cast, they should. If you go to PI, you really have to spend some time there), but everything else is open to change.

On a completely unrelated note, it looks like a bowling alley will be added to the Wide World Of Sports, along with a huge gym and a few other things to try and increase traffic there. A Disney bowling alley should be fun!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom