Photoshop CS3 Layouts

WDWFigment

Original Poster
I hate not being sure about how your images will look when printed (when it's their fault not yours). I really worked for a while in photoshop on our Christmas cards and when I got them they had trimmed an edge all the way around. It was very frustrating.

But like others have said I'm glad they'll work with you.

PS - Actions are a wonderful thing. I'm very sad Elements won't handle them. It would save so much time!!

We went ahead and ordered a second book after I made some adjustments based on what they were typically cropping out--and this time, the previously cropped area was present (so I had white space all around the edges...except a few pages, which again, were cropped--in the future, I won't put ANYTHING all the way to the edges when I make these). My first book shipped today, and they didn't call me like they were supposed to (if there were any problems), so hopefully it's okay. Ha--I'll believe that when I see it.

I search of Winkflash on resellerratings.com revealed that a lot of people have had quality issues with them. We'll probably end up eating the $32 we spent on these two books, and order one from a higher quality site. I'm not going to spend a ton of time on this only to have subpar quality. Lesson learned: avoid winkflash.

As for actions being great--yes, they are! I created a few of my own, and have been editing some pictures from our two trips with them. Overall, they've made the pictures look much better. I think I will be able to save a substantial amount of time by using actions when I make my layouts for our 2008 trip. Which means...more layouts!

i do not know which is crazier the fact i had enought time to look at all the pictures or the fact you had all that time make all the pictures for me to look at .

It took a really long time, but all-in-all, it was a rewarding hobby. A lot of people I've shown it to thus far have been convinced I purchased it from Disney (you listening Disney executives? Need a new "designer" for the PhotoPass division?), and all have been impressed that I actually made it myself--this is despite the book looking like crap (in my opinion) thanks to Winkflash doing a poor job (see above).

It will be something we'll always have, and some day, I can show it to my kids and their friends, who will then marvel in awe at my great digital manipulation skills! Yep, I'm pretty sure that will solidify my spot as the "cool" parent in our neighborhood.

Awww, is that the Tomorrowland logo from Mickeyavenue.com? I learned how to use Illustrator making that if it is. That (along with the Florida Project font) is one of my babies...

That is the logo from MickeyAvenue! If you're the owner of that site, thanks so much for all of your hard work! Your site came in real handy for a large number of my layouts.

XS-Spence

That is the logo from MickeyAvenue! If you're the owner of that site, thanks so much for all of your hard work! Your site came in real handy for a large number of my layouts.

I wish I could claim ownership, but that title belongs to the talented (and lately invisible) Justin Callagan. I've just submitted that particular piece of work, and spearheaded "Florida Project" font. I had lots of help on that one. Making a font is not easy and Justin has experience and a great eye. It's a thrill seeing something you've worked on show up other places, especially when Disney themselves use it.

Woozle

WOW. Amazing job on all of the layouts. I've worked a little bit with Photo Shop, but nothing comes out as crisp as your stuff. Quick question...is there a particular site where you get all your little icons, backgrounds, etc. (I already know about mickeyavenue.com) Great job again!

eagles

It will be something we'll always have, and some day, I can show it to my kids and their friends, who will then marvel in awe at my great digital manipulation skills! Yep, I'm pretty sure that will solidify my spot as the "cool" parent in our neighborhood.

quote]

make sure you have plenty of drink packs and lots of snacks also! you will win the award hands down!:lol:

HollyBelle

photoshop question

WDWFigment your layouts are great! I must admit that seeing yours has motivated me to get going with my own. I recently got photoshop CS3 and I'm learning as I go. One touch on your pages that I particularly like are some of the strokes/borders you created (i.e. the christmas lights, dino bones, etc.) Can you tell me what you did to create those in photoshop?

I have about 20 pages done and don't plan to actually print them for awhile; however, I'm curious about the file size and quality when printed, as different sites suggest different things. I've scanned in park guides, resort maps, fastpasses, tickets, pins, etc. and they look great on the computer screen but I'm concerned about how they will print. Also, I use google images and when I can't find a large size logo, I end up settling for a medium size one. If you don't mind sharing, what settings are you using? And were you satisfied with that once they were printed?

WDWFigment

Original Poster
WOW. Amazing job on all of the layouts. I've worked a little bit with Photo Shop, but nothing comes out as crisp as your stuff. Quick question...is there a particular site where you get all your little icons, backgrounds, etc. (I already know about mickeyavenue.com) Great job again!

MickeyAvenue was the site I used the most, but unfortunately, there was no other site with a large variety of icons, logos, backgrounds, etc. (unless you count Google and Flickr!)

WDWFigment your layouts are great! I must admit that seeing yours has motivated me to get going with my own. I recently got photoshop CS3 and I'm learning as I go. One touch on your pages that I particularly like are some of the strokes/borders you created (i.e. the christmas lights, dino bones, etc.) Can you tell me what you did to create those in photoshop?

I have about 20 pages done and don't plan to actually print them for awhile; however, I'm curious about the file size and quality when printed, as different sites suggest different things. I've scanned in park guides, resort maps, fastpasses, tickets, pins, etc. and they look great on the computer screen but I'm concerned about how they will print. Also, I use google images and when I can't find a large size logo, I end up settling for a medium size one. If you don't mind sharing, what settings are you using? And were you satisfied with that once they were printed?

I don't remember my exact dimensions, but they were something like 3024 x 2400 (300 dpi)--which is a little more than necessary for your average 10 x 8 page. I had to settle for some lower res. logos too, and I tried to sharpen them in photoshop to add to the res. Some look less than perfect in print, but you really have to be looking to notice them. One trick I used was to substitute fonts for .png or .jpg logos whenever I could (you'll find a lot of logos or logo-esque "stuff" in the fonts from Mickeyave).

As for the borders...those were a major pain in the a**. The process involved starting with a blank page in photoshop, taking a particular item (a bone, a light, a pine comb, etc.) duplicating the layer a ton of times, then arranging them into a frame, then "merging visible" to make it all "one" item. after that, I put whatever picture I wanted to use behind it, adjusted the frame as necessary, merge visible'd again, then copied and pasted into my layout. I then went back to the frame page, un-did a couple steps to remove the previous picture, and repeated. Hopefully that wasn't too convoluted to follow...

HollyBelle

I was afraid that's what you were going to tell me! It was the only way I could see to create something of the sort, but I was hoping you'd fill me in on some unknown secret. It amazes me how photoshop makes some things very difficult while others are so easy. Thanks.

WDWFigment

Original Poster
I was afraid that's what you were going to tell me! It was the only way I could see to create something of the sort, but I was hoping you'd fill me in on some unknown secret. It amazes me how photoshop makes some things very difficult while others are so easy. Thanks.

Nope, nothing simple. Although, for the plain colored stroke borders, I just go into the layer properties (although I'm sure you already knew about this). Those are very easy to add!

HollyBelle

Just to switch things up a bit with the strokes/borders I found some photos that I thought would be good backgrounds (from say google images or flickr) and then made them slightly larger but proportionate to my pictures and linked the two together. I don't know if you've done this, but it's an easy way to create a more exciting border than just a solid color (without all the tedious work).

WDWFigment

Original Poster
^^There are some borders (a wood frame comes to mind) in the default actions set that comes with CS3. There probably are others that you can download out there online.

Brer_Claire

My Mum and I have been drooling over your pages :slurp: They're fantastic and have reminded me that I really need to get my photos sorted out!!

You're very creative and I only wish that my efforts could be so good :animwink:

Claire :wave:

jessicaj

Just wanted to say these are awesome! I am a paper scrapper but would love to know where you get all your graphics? I am sure you posted it in here somewhere but I missed it.

I have PS but I do not use it very much. Mostly just to edit the photos and such. So I am sure I can figure it out to print out some graphics.

Congrats on your engagment. I got engaged and married there. It is such a romantic place! My avitar is from my wedding day. Its a rare picture of me with makeup on. LOL. I have to kids under the age of 6.

WDWFigment

Original Poster
My Mum and I have been drooling over your pages :slurp: They're fantastic and have reminded me that I really need to get my photos sorted out!!

You're very creative and I only wish that my efforts could be so good :animwink:

Claire :wave:

Thanks!

Just wanted to say these are awesome! I am a paper scrapper but would love to know where you get all your graphics? I am sure you posted it in here somewhere but I missed it.

I have PS but I do not use it very much. Mostly just to edit the photos and such. So I am sure I can figure it out to print out some graphics.

Congrats on your engagment. I got engaged and married there. It is such a romantic place! My avitar is from my wedding day. Its a rare picture of me with makeup on. LOL. I have to kids under the age of 6.

The graphics were sometimes the result of long searches on Google, sometimes found on MickeyAvenue.com (or made from fonts there), and sometimes were isolated elements of high res. pictures I took.

Thanks for the congratulations. We aren't getting married there, but we're going for our honeymoon. Sorry for not responding earlier!

cruzinalong52

Wow

These pages are just amazing. Love the term you coined (digital image manipulation). Don't have to feel awkward about helping DW with her scrapbooking projects now. Hmmm, Fathers's day is coming up. Maybe a photoshop CD is in my future. What would you recommend for a beginner? Again, amazing pics and layouts. Look foward to seeing what's next.

WDWFigment

Original Poster
These pages are just amazing. Love the term you coined (digital image manipulation). Don't have to feel awkward about helping DW with her scrapbooking projects now. Hmmm, Fathers's day is coming up. Maybe a photoshop CD is in my future. What would you recommend for a beginner? Again, amazing pics and layouts. Look foward to seeing what's next.

If you're willing to put in the time to learn, and commit the money (around $650) to it, I recommend going all out and getting Photoshop CS3. I think it's a substantial upgrade from CS2 and all the versions of elements, but it's also a steep price increase, too. It all depends on how much you'll be utilizing the extra features. I recommend researching the (many) differences and seeing if they make a difference to you. Or, you could always try to some con your employer into getting it for you (if it somehow is applicable to your job) Good luck!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom