News PHOTOS - Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin switch to Mears shuttles for theme park transportation

tirian

gordon ramsay cooking GIF by Hell's Kitchen's Kitchen
“I’m here to eat at...quick service???”

ecranos

This is disappointing to say the least. Yes it’s just a bus, still sucks. Heading up in November. For future planning, unless visiting Epcot or HS, won’t stay there. Also hope this is temporary.

TrainsOfDisney

*If* Swolphin gets them.

If Swolphin isn't getting Disney transportation by way of buses, then why would they get them by way of boat?
yeah this will be interesting. All depends on how the contracts are actually written and what is actually going on.

I can see the boats and Disney bus returning together, possibly what the whole change was about to begin with if Disney was charging a “transportation fee” and not provided alternate transportation.

I can also see the boats skipping the dock and the swan and dolphin saving as much $$$ as they can.

Disone

Strictly a guess here but they may have temporarily cut this morning dolphin service simply because they have cut the capacity of the buses to about 20 passengers per bus. So using some loose math that's just under half of the buses previous capacity. They are running more than half of the routes, almost all really. Demand for buses may be artificially high, extremely high, with the self-imposed capacity of 20 per bus.

Some of that is offset by both parts of Port Orleans being closed, and so those buses can be utilized on other routes. But aside from that all the other resorts are at least partially open. But also Disney has added direct Epcot service from the individual Magic Kingdom Resorts due to the Epcot monorail not running. This is not typically a bus line Disney has run in the past. Also in the evening as soon as the Magic Kingdom is closed Magic Kingdom monorail stops running. It continues to run for about an hour out bound but it does not run for resort to Resort or resort to Magic Kingdom transportation. This too has been replaced by buses. And again all these buses are limited to about 20 per bus.

I suspect they may have needed to have Mears take on S&D routes until some normalcy returns.

Just my guess.

Cesar R M

So guys, what is the status of the Dolphin and the Swan? I got a trip to this hotel soon and I'm pretty worried about how the hell I will be able to move around.

I mean, The talks about using the boardwalk buses and then they have checking for hotel tags and magicbands..
Should I just wear an inactive magicband I used before?

Triggermv

So guys, what is the status of the Dolphin and the Swan? I got a trip to this hotel soon and I'm pretty worried about how the hell I will be able to move around.

I mean, The talks about using the boardwalk buses and then they have checking for hotel tags and magicbands..

Where did you hear they were checking for hotel tags and magicbands? I had not heard that yet.

Cesar R M

Where did you hear they were checking for hotel tags and magicbands? I had not heard that yet.
This is crazy. I'm staying at the Swan in Dec. I'm trying to figure out my options on how to get to the MK, ready to enter, at 8:30.
  1. Uber/cab to Contemporary and lie about going to breakfast
  2. walk to HS studios and take an MK bus at 8 am
  3. uber to TTC and take the monorail at 8 am to MK [if they will stop that early]
  4. uber to TTC and walk IF the GF connection is open [probably not]
  5. I'm not taking the big boat.
  6. take a bus from a boardwalk hotel - if they are not checking magic bands at that point!!]
  7. other?
WDW should be happy to have all of us. This whole thing seems pretty petty.
This person mentions that the boardwalk buses check for magicbands as a possibility.

No friendship boats.

Uber and Lyft no access to Magic Kingdom.

Seems the only answer is using the MEARS shuttles and hope you reach in time and/or move to DHS via walking and then move from there.

Triggermv

This person mentions that the boardwalk buses check for magicbands as a possibility.

No friendship boats.

Uber and Lyft no access to Magic Kingdom.

Seems the only answer is using the MEARS shuttles and hope you reach in time and/or move to DHS via walking and then move from there.

Yeah, I see where you got it from. However, it looks like he is just guessing they might start at some point checking magicbands rather than they actively are doing it is the way I read it.

TrainsOfDisney

If you’re concerned, buy a pastry and a coffee Boardwalk bakery and tell them you walked over to boardwalk for breakfast and you have a receipt to show.

I highly doubt they will start checking for magicbands and room keys. It’s a 1/2 mile walk from the swan / dolphin to the bus stop.

lightningtap347

The Disney Resort buses (what Swan/Dolphin used to use) drop off right at MK. However, the new Mears transportation buses drop you off at the TTC, which you then need to ride either the monorail or the boat to MK.
Right, that's the only difference?

Not to say that doesn't suck (it does), but if you're going for an epcot/DHS stay I would still go here. I am biased towards this hotel however.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
SO the main difference is that these busses can't reach the normal bus stops at MK? Am I reading that right?
Yes.

That's why you use Boardwalk or Beach. Disney has never checked magicbands to get on the bus. Not to stop DS workarounds, not to prevent non-guests from riding.

When I stay at the Swolphin, I usually hop on the first bus leaving DAK or MK for Beach, BW, or Swolphin.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom