PHOTOS - IBM THINK interactive exhibit opens at Epcot's Innoventions

MarkTwain

I really like the new look; it recalls the original Epcot aesthetic of modern design, clean lines, and simple forms. It looks like something you don't see in theme parks anymore... classy, adult, and professional. I'll go as far to say that I wish more of Epcot, and Innoventions in particular (which has gone way too far in the direction of the 90s crazy colors, all-over-the-place style) were designed this way.

*runs away*

EDIT: Their use of wide/italicized, serifed fonts on blank surfaces looks to me like the resemblence to 1960s graphic design was a very deliberate decision. It's a pretty distinctive look.

IWant2GoNow

Based on hearing descriptions by others & viewing the photos, I think this is perfect for Innoventions. I've been disappointed almost every time I've gone through either side of Innoventions since around the early 00's. IMO, IBM seems to have created a walkthrough version of SSE only devoted to the digital age instead of the early years of communication. I have a feeling that if these learning or "edutainment" exhibits aren't for you, that's one thing, but this is, IMHO, the exact direction that Epcot should be headed in. I'm not talking all digital touch screens everywhere as far as the eye can see, but a clean, sleak-looking, exhibit which can both entertain & teach. Just because it doesn't allow you to sit in an omnimover while experiencing doesn't make it an awful attraction. This is a great addition & a very welcome one to me.

Now if only they could have some sort of robotics show. *coughASIMOcough*

PS- I know Honda wouldn't sponsor so close to GM.

jlsHouston

Seriously? Do you guys work for IBM or something?

Granted, I haven't "experienced" it yet (which seems like an oxymoron), but I can't imagine the big displays would be so explosively interesting as to overcome the sterile, boring, art-gallery look.

Maybe I need to put on a tuxedo and sip on champagne to appreciate it.

hahaha I would love to tour the exhibit with a glass of champagne being served by waiters in tuxes !!

Lee

Adventurer
The IBM exhibit is a welcome change from this type of thing:
oi-disney-epcot-trip-report-july-2011-4117.jpg

Dreamers Empire

The new THINK exhibit is a great step in the right direction for Epcot. The information that is presented isn't dumbed down; it feels like IBM created an exhibit for inquisitive individuals who are receptive to knowledge.

I disagree, this is the wrong direction. Epcot is such a contradiction for me. Attractions like Soarin have helped me keep my faith that they want to 'create an experience that brings wonderment' and thus the kind of inspirational EDUTAINMENT that the imagineers invented. What you're talking about is just education through whatever you want to imagine. You don't need to go to Disney for that. Sorry, but I'm very protective for the ideas that Epcot 1982 - 1999 embraced.

Epcotbob

I think IBM should have put on display some of it's cutting edge servers and workstations. Cut-away views that highlight the technology, cooling, etc. How about a replica of an IBM air-traffic control station allowing some kind of interaction.

It just seems to me they took the easy way out...just throw up a bunch of screens with information that you can probably get sitting in front of your computer at home.

MarkTwain

I disagree, this is the wrong direction. Epcot is such a contradiction for me. Attractions like Soarin have helped me keep my faith that they want to 'create an experience that brings wonderment' and thus the kind of inspirational EDUTAINMENT that the imagineers invented. What you're talking about is just education through whatever you want to imagine. You don't need to go to Disney for that. Sorry, but I'm very protective for the ideas that Epcot 1982 - 1999 embraced.

I disagree. The 1980s' EPCOT Center was much MORE explicitly educational. Look at the few remaining attractions from that time, like Living with the Land and Spaceship Earth. Both rely very heavily on their informative narration and their educational focus. Attractions like Universe of Energy, the Living Seas, and CommuniCore were also much more serious, information-heavy, and some would even say a little dry in their presentation. Even World of Motion, with its comic presentation tried to be very informative. Attractions like Soarin', Mission Space, and Nemo, which aim for entertainment above all else (and where any education you receive is purely incidental) are a relatively new Epcot phenomenon. That's why I see IBM as a throwback to the old Epcot model.

Dreamers Empire

I disagree. The 1980s' EPCOT Center was much MORE explicitly educational. Look at the few remaining attractions from that time, like Living with the Land and Spaceship Earth. Both rely very heavily on their informative narration and their educational focus. Attractions like Universe of Energy, the Living Seas, and CommuniCore were also much more serious, information-heavy, and some would even say a little dry in their presentation. Even World of Motion, with its comic presentation tried to be very informative. Attractions like Soarin', Mission Space, and Nemo, which aim for entertainment above all else (and where any education you receive is purely incidental) are a relatively new Epcot phenomenon. That's why I see IBM as a throwback to the old Epcot model.

You can't be serious. To put Universe of Energy and "this" into the same category based on its "informative narrative and educational focus" is denying the most important element, the "experience". The only experience you can get out of this IBM "Think" is what you conjure up on a screen. In Universe of Energy you are whisked back in time in a moving theater with sights, smells and sounds. Hrmmm, which attraction would I wait in line for?

mightynine

You can't be serious. To put Universe of Energy and "this" into the same category based on its "informative narrative and educational focus" is denying the most important element, the "experience". The only experience you can get out of this IBM "Think" is what you conjure up on a screen. In Universe of Energy you are whisked back in time in a moving theater with sights, smells and sounds. Hrmmm, which attraction would I wait in line for?

Easy, buddy. What people are getting at is this exhibit seems to fit more in the Communicore vein than what we've seen in the past from Innoventions - which for those that miss it, is a good thing. I don't think they're saying this exhibit is at the same level of UoE.

Epcotbob

Totally agree! It's much cheaper/easier to put up a flat-screen TV than it is to build animatronics, full-sized replicas and immerse you in the scenes.

The IBM display may be "educational", but it is not "edutainment".

dreamscometrue

I can't believe that some people wouldn't like this addition. It's perfect for Innoventions. A few friends who saw the NYC exhibit said it was really cool. Sad that I missed it by one day, since we ended our trip and flew out of MCO last Friday.

In case you are unfamiliar, this gives more explanation.

http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/ibm100/us/en/thinkexhibit/

Btw, no wonder Disney hesitates to offer educational, old school, thought provoking, but entertaining attractions in Future World. Damned if they do, damned if they don't. There are still people who complain. Man, I rode the new Test Track a few times last week and was thrilled that it is now a real pavillion experience, where I was able to enjoy the design, the ride and spend 15 min in post show. I heard people saying that they liked the old Test Track better, as they rushed through the post show area. Sigh.

jlsHouston

I LOVE SOARING, it is the only ride I faithfully get a FP for and use it !

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom