Photos from our recent Tokyo Disney trip!

Not For Sale

I don't want to put words in Robb's mouth but I belive i read on their site somewhere that they hired a tutor to teach them basic Japanese. Also it said most Japanese people knew very basic English, like in jobs at a restaurant when you order, you can order in English.

robbalvey

Original Poster
^ Yes, that's correct. We did hire a tutor to help us out. But we did study the language for about 2 months prior to that. We got the "Japanese for Dummies" book and CD, which was actually REALLY helpful, we got some 'popular phrases' books, and even some of those 'jewel case' language software programs you see in the bargin bin at Best Buy.

It helped us to learn how to count, ask for basic items, etc.

As for speaking English to the Japanese, we found it's always best to start with trying to communicate in Japanese. For example when you order food, you should tell them how many of what you want in Japanese, point to the what you want, and learn how to ask for it, etc.

We learned all this within the first week of reading the books and listening to the CDs. It wasn't easy, but it helped a LOT. If you walked up and just started speaking English, people were less willing to help. But if you at least learned how to say stuff like "Do you speak english, I'm sorry I don't speak Japanese, etc" in Japanese, people appreciated that you at least try.

Anyway, hope that answers the question.

--Robb

robbalvey

Original Poster
TheDisneyGirl02 said:
Great pictures! I nearly had a hissy fit when I saw all of the Chip and Dale things! I need to go there!

TheDisneyGirl02
Yes, if you like Chip N Dale, which by seeing your avatar I'm assuming you do, you HAVE to go. Chip N Dale were the #3 and #4 characters right behind Mickey and Minnie. They are more popular than Pluto, Goofy, Donald, etc at Tokyo Disney.

I'd say the top 3 character sets you see on merchandise there is: Mickey & Minnie, Chip N Dale, the Pooh characters. And they were EVERYWHERE in the parks. It was a real dissapointment to go from Tokyo Disney where you see them everywhere, to WDW last week where we were told for MNSSHP that they wouldn't even be making an appearance the entire night. :cry:

We needed a seperate suitcase for all the Chip N Dale stuff that Elissa brought back with us! :D

--Robb

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom