Trip Report Photos From Opening Day: Good News & Not So Good News

The good news is that my son and DIL have been cleaning up some of the eons of clutter that have amassed in our household. This was their Christmas present to us. It has been a wonderful gift. Our son brought box loads of photos up from our basement and spread them about the living room. He told me without hurting my knees I could sit and sort photos into different categories and place in appropriately marked containers. He got involved in the sorting process tonight and unearthed a pack of photos from WDW opening day. In my TR I was complemented on my good memory for details almost 44 years old. I had totally forgotten about these photos so I guess I had a major senior moment brain cramp.

The not so good news is that my son’s older laptop went “bluescreen” when he attempted to go WIFI. There is a chance I can download the necessary drive files for old scanner on a flash drive and load on his laptop. Then we will be able to “hopefully” scan the majority of our photos that were taken on 35mm.

If I can do this correctly here are some pics of 10/01/1971 @ WDW.

View attachment 104962

Last edited:

jwakja

Super pics! More, more! What does the family look like now? It's almost a ditto of our family and after 15 trips it's fun to compare photos of shots take at the same location year after year. Thanks for the memories!

SleepyPuppy

Original Poster
Thanks for the tag. I would have missed them!

And thanks to the OP for posting :) though I believe your TTC photo is not of WDW.

Dear marni1971,

I had a brief moment to view all the photo and video options you have on your page thanks to the heads up from Goofnut1980. As soon as I get a couple of year’s free time I plan to take advantage of viewing your incredible collection.

The picture I posted as TTC was also added with the “?” meaning I’m not sure. It was a picture stored in the original developer return envelope. There were 36 pictures or basically one roll of film. The first two shots were from Daytona Beach. One was a blurry shot of the hotel pool which I did not post and the other one of my wife that was not really a great photo but made a point. The rest were all WDW. When I finished that roll I went to the GAF store on Main Street and purchased slide film with pre-paid mailers for the rest of our photos for our visit because of being less expensive. If you have any idea what that photo could be please chime in. I am starting on my slides and could possibly identify the scene from other photos from that day. Almost 44 years of time can play with your memory a bit.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
@SleepyPuppy thank you :)

Some great photos. Please do keep them coming. The first decade was a great time.

The TTC pic.... I don't recall anywhere like that on property at that time. I know what you mean with mind playing tricks after time. The old looking building in the background is even stranger. Maybe we'll never know!

Looking forward to more.

CapitanEo

Almost 44 years of time can play with your memory a bit.

The TTC pic.... I don't recall anywhere like that on property at that time. I know what you mean with mind playing tricks after time. The old looking building in the background is even stranger. Maybe we'll never know!

Appears to say "Reptile Institue" in the distance, which they had at the Silver Springs park in Florida. Recall any glass bottom boats?

SleepyPuppy

Original Poster
Appears to say "Reptile Institue" in the distance, which they had at the Silver Springs park in Florida. Recall any glass bottom boats?

You folks ARE good. We did go to Silver Springs on 9/30/1971. I do remember glass bottom boats. I used a whole roll of film taking pictures through the glass bottom. What I thought was less expensive slide film turned out to be prints. When the prints were developed I discovered a whole lot of basically worthless pictures of blue water and some indistinguishable blobs that were apparently fish. I thought about applying the prints to my wall creating a virtual aquarium simulation.

The posted picture is definitely from Silver Springs. It was in with the set of WDW pictures and thus became a WDW photo by assimilation. No intent of deception was premeditated on my part but I will offer good odds that Silver Springs would love to be a part of the Disney development.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
You folks ARE good. We did go to Silver Springs on 9/30/1971. I do remember glass bottom boats. I used a whole roll of film taking pictures through the glass bottom. What I thought was less expensive slide film turned out to be prints. When the prints were developed I discovered a whole lot of basically worthless pictures of blue water and some indistinguishable blobs that were apparently fish. I thought about applying the prints to my wall creating a virtual aquarium simulation.

The posted picture is definitely from Silver Springs. It was in with the set of WDW pictures and thus became a WDW photo by assimilation. No intent of deception was premeditated on my part but I will offer good odds that Silver Springs would love to be a part of the Disney development.
No need to apologize at all. Your threads are like opening up a time capsule. I can't speak for everyone, but I could care less if they were pictures of Disney or Weeki Wachee.

ml123_9

The good news is that my son and DIL have been cleaning up some of the eons of clutter that have amassed in our household. This was their Christmas present to us. It has been a wonderful gift. Our son brought box loads of photos up from our basement and spread them about the living room. He told me without hurting my knees I could sit and sort photos into different categories and place in appropriately marked containers. He got involved in the sorting process tonight and unearthed a pack of photos from WDW opening day. In my TR I was complemented on my good memory for details almost 44 years old. I had totally forgotten about these photos so I guess I had a major senior moment brain cramp.

The not so good news is that my son’s older laptop went “bluescreen” when he attempted to go WIFI. There is a chance I can download the necessary drive files for old scanner on a flash drive and load on his laptop. Then we will be able to “hopefully” scan the majority of our photos that were taken on 35mm.

If I can do this correctly here are some pics of 10/01/1971 @ WDW.

View attachment 104962

The Hawaiin Inn is still there today and hasn't hardly changed at all.

SleepyPuppy

Original Poster
Dear Valued Members of the WDWMAGIC forum,

I have decided to remove my pictures from my posts on the Forum. This is based on sound legal advice once I was informed that, what are precious memories to me, have been used by others who are misrepresenting the origin of the photographs. Once I have processed the pictures with a means of protecting my copyrights and my family’s Disney legacy, I will happily return all of them to these forums.

I am also asking for any help should you recognize any of my photos elsewhere on the internet. Please pass along that information as some of you have thankfully done already.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

George & Becky

Figgy1

Premium Member
Dear Valued Members of the WDWMAGIC forum,

I have decided to remove my pictures from my posts on the Forum. This is based on sound legal advice once I was informed that, what are precious memories to me, have been used by others who are misrepresenting the origin of the photographs. Once I have processed the pictures with a means of protecting my copyrights and my family’s Disney legacy, I will happily return all of them to these forums.

I am also asking for any help should you recognize any of my photos elsewhere on the internet. Please pass along that information as some of you have thankfully done already.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

George & Becky
That is horrendous! I hope the situation is handled quickly. Bad things shouldn't happen to nice people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom