PHOTOS - Disney breaks ground on cutting edge laundry facility to service resort expansion

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I guess the New Fantasyland and eventually the Avatarland costumes will use this facility since they said to accommodate the resort's expansion. Does 2 new lands really count as a Disney World resort expansion? I guess you could include the recently built resort hotels; i.e. AoA and the DVC properties. I think they may also mean (being optimistic here) that there will much expansion at the resort in the soon to be future.
Hotels are the target of the new laundry facility.

nor'easter

This has been mentioned in a couple of the permit threads, but the new laundry center has now officially broken ground.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/wal...ndry-facility-to-service-resort-expansion.htm

Really? A photo op for a laundry facility? What's next, big news on a sewage treatment plant for all the bs? New dishwashers in the restaurant kitchens?

Yes, this kind of infrastructure is needed, but do we really need a press release? This kind of thing used to be reserved for new attractions or hotels. Seems like Disney can put its name on anything and there will be a hoard of sychophants lapping it up.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Really? A photo op for a laundry facility? What's next, big news on a sewage treatment plant for all the bs? New dishwashers in the restaurant kitchens?

Yes, this kind of infrastructure is needed, but do we really need a press release? This kind of thing used to be reserved for new attractions or hotels. Seems like Disney can put its name on anything and there will be a hoard of sychophants lapping it up.

Already happened:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...0140220_1_food-waste-walt-disney-world-scraps

As someone else pointed out, I think the press release was because of the jobs.

gbruenin

Do we know if this is really expansion, or will they bring this online to shut down the facility near Reams Rd when they build the new ''north gate"?

dstrawn9889

Do we know if this is really expansion, or will they bring this online to shut down the facility near Reams Rd when they build the new ''north gate"?
them saying opening the fourth laundry site seems pretty logical to me, it is overflow and capacity, not replacement of the three currently in use. that is how i read it anyway. one would think they would have said 'new' instead of 'fourth' if they planned to deuce-can one of the others.

stini228

can you squeeze him for the amount of towels that go through there in a day? my DS asked me that a couple of weeks ago...

They do on average 1.2 million pounds of sheets and towels per week. This week is shaping up to a record 3.2 million pounds. Guess they measure in weight....hard to say exactly how many towels that is.

Yes, this is an expansion. The location near Port Orleans is doing practically double what the place was designed for.

Sassagoula-Rvr

I don't see any reason to bash Disney for this...looks pretty nice. And sounds like it was much needed...with a resort the size of Manhattan...infrastructure is going to be a pretty large...and necessary investment.

mm121

does anyone know where this is specifically locatated? map perhaps. what about the other 3?

Remember when Disney routinely broke ground on cutting edge attractions, instead?

(Note: I understand the necessity of this project. Just poking fun at the way they're treating it, with a groundbreaking ceremony and all. The lack of self-awareness is funny.)
this is true, would be nice to see more actual attractions, but who knows maybe them FINALLY improving some of the behind the screens stuff, such as this and the monorail automation, will help further future projects proceed quicker.

The technology they are planning to use sounds pretty cool. I saw the laundry facility in the North Service Area on the Behind the Magic Tour, and even though it was just a laundry, it was a pretty impressive operation.
def does sound interesting, maybe someday we will see more about how it really works.. would of been a good place for "dirty Jobs" the tv show to visit.
What about all of the new DVCs and Art of Animation? They have opened thousands of new hotel rooms in the last few years. And then there is the Pet Hotel with lots of poopy blankets to wash.
the pet place isn't disney.. and i sure hope they wouldn't mix that stuff with people stuff
I don't see any reason to bash Disney for this...looks pretty nice. And sounds like it was much needed...with a resort the size of Manhattan...infrastructure is going to be a prtty large...and necessary investment.

people just have really high expectations, and get disappointed when things like new fantasy land dont actually "net" any new e ticket attractions, etc or other things to help drastically improve park capacity.

the main primary reason stuff like this is even news at all is companies like to milk the new jobs PR as much as they can, granted in the grand scheme of disney 200 is nothing.. but thats still 200 more than 0.. as long as this is an "additional" faciiity and not a replacement facility meaning that other workers will simply loose their jobs once this facility comes online.

dstrawn9889

by the way the permit reads :
laundry_zps2a8c24b6.png

stini228

One more thing to add...know those carts full of towels/sheets that you see being pulled by housekeeping around the resorts? There are a THOUSAND of those sitting in the parking lot at the location near POR waiting to be processed...thats how backed up they are this week.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom