Photopass Photographers

ddbowdoin

And for all the reasons you listed is why I don't have one yet. hahahah. I dont have my "Go to" lens for landscapes yet. I cant make up my mind. But after reading your reviews of Tokina I may start researching these. I was fortunate to be able to borrow a Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L for our trip.

it's a nice lens... I'm not sure what I would want for "THE" landscape lens....

nngrendel

Original Poster
it's a nice lens... I'm not sure what I would want for "THE" landscape lens....
It is a nice lens. I was debating on buying that one possibly but think I want to look at the Tokina lenses. I am a picky buyer and read way too many reviews. I was almost sold on a Tamron until I saw a review of one and a side by side comparison with the Canon lens. I haven't looked at Tamron since.

ddbowdoin

It is a nice lens. I was debating on buying that one possibly but think I want to look at the Tokina lenses. I am a picky buyer and read way too many reviews. I was almost sold on a Tamron until I saw a review of one and a side by side comparison with the Canon lens. I haven't looked at Tamron since.

I've always saw Tamrons as being really cheaply made.

In terms of build quality IMHO:

LEICA
ZEISS
NIKON/CANON/SONY (AT PRO LEVELS)
OLYMPUS SOMEWHERE IN BETWEEN HERE
VOIGTLANDER
TOKINA
SIGMA
TAMRON
PENTAX/ROKINON

nngrendel

Original Poster

LEICA
ZEISS
VOIGTLANDER
TOKINA
SIGMA
TAMRON
PENTAX/ROKINON

I think there should be a WDWMagic Photo meetup at Disney one day. Maybe make a weekend out of it.

ddbowdoin

LEICA
ZEISS
VOIGTLANDER
TOKINA
SIGMA
TAMRON
PENTAX/ROKINON

but to expand on this, certain lenses vary amongst the manufacturers... and while some are clearly better in all catergories, the differences may be marginal for what you value... especially when you look at the price.

The 70-200 VRII is the best lens I own.

Lightning quick AF, great bokeh... excellent stopped down to 2.8, really sharp, no chromatic issues, no fringing and a really workable focal range. But it's 2700 bucks and if I didn't shoot weddings I would have never bought it and sold it already. If I wasn't making money off it the cons would be too much for me, almost 3lbs and a huge profile meaning carrying this sucker on vaca is bad.

That being said, it's far better than any of my DX lenses but it's just finding that balance.

I've tried to trim down my expenses, people go crazy over FX bodies but I've had no issues shooting my weddings on a crop body.

RonAnnArbor

Just as a heads up -- the folks doing the photos are NOT "photographers" -- they use Programmed Auto, and it is all pre-set in the camera -- cast members are assigned alternately from a pool that does other similar things like this. I have had a friend doing this for years, and he had zero days, hours, or minutes training. They just said "this is where you stand and this is how you run the passcard" -- and he's been doing it off and on for years, alternating with a retail sales job.

nngrendel

Original Poster
Just as a heads up -- the folks doing the photos are NOT "photographers" -- they use Programmed Auto, and it is all pre-set in the camera -- cast members are assigned alternately from a pool that does other similar things like this. I have had a friend doing this for years, and he had zero days, hours, or minutes training. They just said "this is where you stand and this is how you run the passcard" -- and he's been doing it off and on for years, alternating with a retail sales job.

I dont think there was any question about them being photographers or not. My argument is that Disney sells this service like its a pro service.

NowInc

My last trip in June, I decided to let my GF get a few of her character shots taken by a photopass CM...and holy hell....crooked, over exposed, even blurry garbage. I felt really bad for people who count on these for their memories. Seriously worse than a point and shoot.

nngrendel

Original Poster
My last trip in June, I decided to let my GF get a few of her character shots taken by a photopass CM...and holy hell....crooked, over exposed, even blurry garbage. I felt really bad for people who count on these for their memories. Seriously worse than a point and shoot.

I agree. I think I may feel different about it if the price tag reflected the product.

stuart

We'eve never done the photopass, but got given one when getting pics with Merida this year - and they were pretty poor. Some were framed poor and no excuse for the shadows. I wouldn't class mysekf as a proper pro, more 'semi-pro' perhaps but with how i set the camera up, mine def came out better. The ones at MGM we got for the sake of using it were better. A CM friend i know has said how sometimes theyve used it if meeting friends for a day in the park and often had poor results - tops of heads and castles chopped off.

WDWFigment

Think I bought my diffuser for like 9 bucks. Sure Disney could purchase 1000 for less each. Shouldn't break the bank. Not only that but turning down the flash would help some too.

Diffusers are great indoors where there are walls to redirect diffused light, but they're absolutely pointless outside since there are no such walls. It may seem like they're doing something, but that "something" is just reducing the intensity of the light. The exact same result could be accomplished by turning down the intensity of the flash.

Before anyone jumps on me over this, do a little reading. I was surprised when I first learned this, too.

ddbowdoin

Diffusers are great indoors where there are walls to redirect diffused light, but they're absolutely pointless outside since there are no such walls. It may seem like they're doing something, but that "something" is just reducing the intensity of the light. The exact same result could be accomplished by turning down the intensity of the flash.

Before anyone jumps on me over this, do a little reading. I was surprised when I first learned this, too.

but a diffuser just removes a technical step that the photographer would have to adjust... considering they barely have any knowledge or training in the first place.

WDWFigment

They still use D90s don't they? Hopefully someone can confirm. I've never looked at what lens they use but my guess would be a 55-200 or similar.

If I recall correctly, it's the D90 and 18-105mm. Someone told me they were upgrading to the D7000s, but I really don't see why they would. Their current setup is fine for what they do (and, more importantly, has smaller file sizes).

wiigirl

we liked the plus... only because we were there for 11 days and got like 19 ride photos

Same here...we always do plus.
75.gif

ddbowdoin

Same here...we always do plus.
75.gif

but I paid the 175 (preorder) with the intention of really only using ride photos We still had images taken everywhere and 90% of the time when we saw a CM but like I said before in my previous posts... either I'm WAY to critical or something because I found less than 10% of my images to be acceptable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom