Photopass Photographers

CP_alum08

If I recall correctly, it's the D90 and 18-105mm. Someone told me they were upgrading to the D7000s, but I really don't see why they would. Their current setup is fine for what they do (and, more importantly, has smaller file sizes).
Agreed, I can't see them updating anytime soon especially if people are still willing to pay for the image quality they produce now.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
They moved to D90s in early 2010. It took them a long time to move up to those, so I wouldn't expect any changes soon. But let's face it, equipment isn't really the problem.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
exactly... they shoot jpegs on auto, doesn't matter what they use.
You know that is what I thought for a while, but one was telling me that they actually have a lot of presents for each location. Apparently an experienced photographer goes to each location, determines the appropriate settings for that location, and produces a spec sheet for it. Then when a Photopass gets to that location, they dial in that spec.

ddbowdoin

You know that is what I thought for a while, but one was telling me that they actually have a lot of presents for each location. Apparently an experienced photographer goes to each location, determines the appropriate settings for that location, and produces a spec sheet for it. Then when a Photopass gets to that location, they dial in that spec.

but how they account for lighting changes... storms, cloud cover etc

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
but how they account for lighting changes... storms, cloud cover etc
Good question. Not sure whether the spec sheet has a varying set of settings for different conditions that the user than selects from, or if they are supplied shutter speed and aperture, and let the ISO go to auto to adjust exposure. I didn't quite get all the details unfortunately. But they definitely aren't just going auto-pilot with the camera.

WDI 1998

I think after I dragged my wife around at night late I may have to take a photography trip. Shes a great sport about it though.

I had someone ask me how to get some of the shots I got on my last trip. I forgot to let him know to have an understanding wife.

I know what you are saying there. On our as trip my wife had to put up with me stopping every five minutes to shoot. She finally got fed up and on an EMH night she left the park to go back to the hotel and I stayed and took night shots around the MK for four hours until the park closed at 2am.... I'm thinking a photo trip would be a great idea also.

thomas998

Agreed, I can't see them updating anytime soon especially if people are still willing to pay for the image quality they produce now.

I would suggest they need to simply train the photographers better... just some of the most basic things would be a vast improvement... the last time we used them we had at least half the photos where the horizon line wasn't level, or feet or hand or tops of heads were cut off... it wasn't even problems like exposure that you might put off on the equipment it was the person taking the photo just not giving a damn.

CP_alum08

I would suggest they need to simply train the photographers better... just some of the most basic things would be a vast improvement... the last time we used them we had at least half the photos where the horizon line wasn't level, or feet or hand or tops of heads were cut off... it wasn't even problems like exposure that you might put off on the equipment it was the person taking the photo just not giving a damn.
Unfortunately, this is pretty common. I know some get basic training but from what I've heard most don't even get that. However, more than training I think it's just a matter of care. Unless you get the name of every photopass photographer you use and where they were, chances are even if you complain it won't reach back directly to them so their jobs are pretty safe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom