Photopass cd is available by mail!!!!!

epcotwsmd4me

Original Poster
A couple of other notes:

SSL encryption is used when necessary - how important is it to encrypt your photopass number? Not very to be honest. The encryption is enabled on the credit card page where it needs to be. SSL encryption is a huge overhead in processing power on a web server and thus will slow down the server if not used judiciously. It is ONLY used where needed - not for an entire site unless said site is necessary for your protection. (yes, I am a web professional - I've been programming for websites for more than 10 years...)

As far as Disney "would not use a register123 url", what about these: http://www.register123.com/event/profile/form/index.cfm?PKformID=0x77597740d

http://www.register123.com/event/profile/web/index.cfm?PKwebID=0x14764e135&varPage=home

These were found with a simple Google search.

As far as claiming immediately that a site is a scam, as a community, we should be more inclined to search out the information to prove it one way or another, instead of just stating that something is a scam because it "seems like a temporary solution" or because it seems "suspicious".

I'm not trolling for flames, nor am I trying to start something, but I'd like to see more of a "wait and tell" until more information comes out than immediately closing off the information that has turned out to be very official.

I hope that this information is helpful to all who want to buy their cd and forgot to at the parks.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
epcotwsmd4me said:
A couple of other notes:

SSL encryption is used when necessary - how important is it to encrypt your photopass number? Not very to be honest. The encryption is enabled on the credit card page where it needs to be. SSL encryption is a huge overhead in processing power on a web server and thus will slow down the server if not used judiciously. It is ONLY used where needed - not for an entire site unless said site is necessary for your protection. (yes, I am a web professional - I've been programming for websites for more than 10 years...)

As far as claiming immediately that a site is a scam, as a community, we should be more inclined to search out the information to prove it one way or another, instead of just stating that something is a scam because it "seems like a temporary solution" or because it seems "suspicious".

I'm not trolling for flames, nor am I trying to start something, but I'd like to see more of a "wait and tell" until more information comes out than immediately closing off the information that has turned out to be very official.

I hope that this information is helpful to all who want to buy their cd and forgot to at the parks.

I dont agree at all. SSL for a company with the resources of Disney is essential whenever personal information is exchanged between client and server. It does not just apply to credit card transactions. A company the size of Disney cannot afford the PR disaster that comes from security issues relating to personal data loss/interception. SSL server load may be an issue with a small company on a shared server, but certainly not for Disney.

As a community, it is our responsibility to try and look out for people's well being, and safety online. That website, regardless of whether it is official or not, does not meet the quality levels that would be expected of Disney, and we are therefore correct to point this out. Until things are confirmed to be official, I believe it is much better to be cautious, rather than regret it later.

Don't take the cautious approach as being an attack on your information, as that isnt the case.

tirian

Disney's Photopass also set up a temporary site to sell the photo DVD's before they were officially available, but that site was still within the Disney domain.

I'm still kind of skeptical about this because the Photopass folks I know told me the site wasn't legit; but if someone else has truly confirmed it, perhaps it's just a very small test that DPI didn't want everyone to know about.

Still, for your safety, I wouldn't enter my financial information on any site that isn't SSL secured, regardless of whether or not it's a Disney site. Like Steve pointed out, the cynical posters (myself included) weren't trying to flame you; we were trying to protect you! :wave:

epcotwsmd4me

Original Poster
The site IS encrypted where you put in your credit-card info - I've checked it myself.

As far as anyone flaming, I'm not saying anyone was (I'm sorry if it sounds like I was...), I'm just trying to prevent it. Last time I posted to these boards, I was ripped a new one...

As far as trust worthy, I'm actually working on getting April to post to the website. She called me again this afternoon wanting the website where the information was being discussed and I let her know.

So, I guess we can all hope that there will be official word, but as I've posted, Disney has done this before. And will probably continue to do it again.

Hope everyone has a great day!

tigars503

I know i'm a newbie but i've been reading you for a long time

Hi there,

I got a voicemail from a Disney photo imaging rep this morning, and she confirmed that this site is legal and that Disney often do business with register123.com for conference registration and other.

Also, don't forget that Disneyphotopass is managed by Kodak and that the CD is provided by Disney Guest relation, that explain why you don't have the modified picture on the CD (2 different server). In the park it is possible to get the modified pictures because the employee are working from the Kodak server.

I know, I was at MK in december, and manage to have my picture saved on Kodak server for 2 months and then transfered to a Disney Server so that I could get my CD.

I receveid it last monday, and it's great.

jeffb

Can anyone comment on what size are the picture files on the CD ROM. What size print can you make with good image quality from the image on the CD ROM.

Chase24

jeffb said:
Can anyone comment on what size are the picture files on the CD ROM. What size print can you make with good image quality from the image on the CD ROM.
Mine are about 1.5 mb, and I have great 4x6 pics. It says the dimension is w3008 x h2000:wave:

Iakona

tirian said:
Another thing strikes me as being suspicious:

Although Photopass is based out of the Feature Animation building in the Studios, the Caller ID should have come up as "Disney Photo Imaging," not "Disney-MGM Stud."

At least, that's how it works here on property.

Yeah, the quality is only good enough for a crystal-clear 3x5. The CD comes with two folders. One contains the original, untouched photos; the other contains the modified pictures.

Yes caller id can be spoofed. However, the difference in what is coming up via caller id can easily be explained by the phone set up of Disney. It is likely they have their own switching internally (a PBX). Usually large companies will purchase T1s or T3s from the local phone company. Internally they will assign their own phone #s per their set-up, however when you dial out you are not necessarily dialing out on "your' internal #, you instead are grabbing a # from the pool related to the T1 or T3. therefore if MGM-Studios has the pool externally then that is what caller ID outside the company will show.

I had lunch with the Imagineer in charge of PhotoPass and he was very excited about a lot of new features. This was one of them. If they are trialing this and calling/e-mailing customers then it does not necessarily follow that all the CMs with PhotoPass will be informed. After all it does not seem like it is available to everyone yet so informing all CMs could create a situation of of having much more demand than they are ready for.

I hope this is legit because one of the complaints was that you had to run to Epcot (since expanded) to get your CD done the day you leave if you want all of them. this is a logical progression in the development of the program.

tirian

Yes caller id can be spoofed. However, the difference in what is coming up via caller id can easily be explained by the phone set up of Disney. It is likely they have their own switching internally (a PBX). Usually large companies will purchase T1s or T3s from the local phone company. Internally they will assign their own phone #s per their set-up, however when you dial out you are not necessarily dialing out on "your' internal #, you instead are grabbing a # from the pool related to the T1 or T3. therefore if MGM-Studios has the pool externally then that is what caller ID outside the company will show.

oh.

:D

As for the CD rollout, I know that DPI has plans to eventually offer the service at home, but I was told that they're waiting for the service to become more reliable. Apparently, even though the Kodak pictures are kept in the same database as the Disney ones, Kodak photographers use older card scanning technology; and the pictures may not necessarily show up. On property at Epcot, this is no big deal because CMs can search for the missing photos on-site (this has happened to my photos several times); but retrieving lost photos is a big hassle online. That's why I thought this site was a scam; I couldn't imagine Disney Photopass launching the online CD service when they can't even count on the photos to show up on property!

Of course, this site could be a small feasability test. If it is, Disney should have done a better job on the site, because the design and generic URL scream, "Phisher!"

Iakona

tirian said:
oh.

:D

As for the CD rollout, I know that DPI has plans to eventually offer the service at home, but I was told that they're waiting for the service to become more reliable. Apparently, even though the Kodak pictures are kept in the same database as the Disney ones, Kodak photographers use older card scanning technology; and the pictures may not necessarily show up. On property at Epcot, this is no big deal because CMs can search for the missing photos on-site (this has happened to my photos several times); but retrieving lost photos is a big hassle online. That's why I thought this site was a scam; I couldn't imagine Disney Photopass launching the online CD service when they can't even count on the photos to show up on property!

Of course, this site could be a small feasability test. If it is, Disney should have done a better job on the site, because the design and generic URL scream, "Phisher!"

I work in telcomm so...most people would not know this.

As for the lost photos we discussed that at the lunch nad he said he has a team (I think he said 4 or 5 people) dedicated to finding lost pictures. They do a pretty good job because they found several that were lost from last Star Wars weekend. I agree it is a problem because if you are there for a week there could have been 80-100 photos taken and remembering everyone is unlikely.

colliera

Confirmation

I can confirm this as a legitimate site. I ordered the CD and received it today with my pictures. It was sent out of Disney Photo Imaging, 200 Animation Way/Drive, Orlando, FL 32838.That puts it in a building behind where the Magic of Disney Animation is and to the side of the Rock'n'Roller Coaster show building, If you can believe Yahoo Maps and Google Earth.

It is on Disney PhotoPass CD with the Fab Five imprinted on it with the caption, "Take a picture Share the Magic!"

I also noticed that several "Disney Events" are using this hosted service for various conference registrations.

BadTigger

I would like to tell everyone to watch out for this site. This screams scam no matter what people are saying. First off disneyphotopass.com is hosted on disney servers this site is not if they were rolling somthing out even for a test it would be on disney servers. Second look at the design of the site it resembales nothing of any other Disney site. The text for the title is even generic and not the disney font. I would not put any information into that photo CD site. Disney would never do this type of server registration for one of its products.

tirian

Unfortunately, that generic font actually IS the font DPI uses on all their Photopass materials...not professional at all.

gibsonc

UK Disney Geek
Well I would say the site is real, although not up to the standard I would expect from Disney.

register123 is a product of Certain Software, certain.com providing solutions to some well known clients. The certain.com domain name registration is valid and registered back to the company offices in San Francisco. If you do a background search on Certain Software you will find various articles from a number of web sites, giving a pretty good company history. The U.S department of Justice along with other U.S gov departments are listed as clients which can be verified on the US DOJ website.

Given the validity of the company, considering the types of products and services offered and based on information from people who have used the service it does seem to be official. I would use it, but I did initially think it was a scam.

colliera

And you know this how?

BadTigger said:
I would like to tell everyone to watch out for this site. This screams scam no matter what people are saying. First off . . . Disney would never do this type of server registration for one of its products.

On the shipping label is a phone number, (407) 560-3250. When you call it your hear a message from the Disney PhotoMovie Fulfillment Center Team. First a message to UPS drivers for delivering the product, (USP ground is the shipping method), and second to a guest that wants to speak to the team.

When you insert the CD it has a autorun that you click on a an "I agree" statement about non-commercial use and personal rights granted. Then there is a button that connects you to the Disney PhotoMovie site via the Internet. It only makes sense the PhotoMovie team does this since they can make a second sell by making a PhotoMovie from these and other photos you have. They already have a guest that has purchased their product once.

Don't believe me? Call it yourself and let them give you a call back.

By the way, as far as how big the photos are. I pulled one of them up in PhotoShop and the 100% actual size of the photo is just over 41 inches by 27 inches. I had it zoomed in up to 123% before I began to see an pixelation. Large enough to print a poster if you had the printer that could do it.

I think this is a great idea and convince for the guest. I knew about this CD offer before I went the end of January so I was jumping in line for all Photo Cast members I could find during the trip. My only problem was when I went to get the CD on my last day I went to the photo shop at MGM where they told me the only place I could get that was at the Grand Floridian or at Epcot. Bummer. I didn't have time to do that before meeting my Disney's Magical Express bus. Lost cause I though. Then one day before my photos were going to be pulled from the Photo CD site epcotwsmd4me posts this great news. Thanks to epcotwsmd4me for taking the time to post this. I though my photos were gone. Now I have them and for just a little over $3.00 each instead of the $12 per. I love it! :sohappy:

colliera

Raven66 said:
colliera-I'm just wondering, how long was it between ordering and shipping of the cd? Thanks!

I saw the posting on the 3/8 and had to act fast as last day the photos were due to be up was on 3/9 so I ordered the evening of 3/8 which makes 3/9 the first business day after the order. So I count 3/9 as the first day. It was built and and sent by 3/10 and the rest was in transit to me. Total 5 days. I think I remember it saying 4-7 days on the order form.

(Below, UPS Ground tracking)

Location Date Local Time Activity
PARIS, TN, US 03/13/2006 12:53 P.M. DELIVERY
03/13/2006 6:03 A.M. OUT FOR DELIVERY
PARIS, TN, US 03/11/2006 4:18 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
NASHVILLE, TN, US 03/11/2006 1:59 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
03/11/2006 1:18 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
KNOXVILLE, TN, US 03/10/2006 11:02 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
03/10/2006 1:29 P.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
ORLANDO, FL, US 03/10/2006 1:34 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
ORLANDO, FL, US 03/09/2006 9:15 P.M. ORIGIN SCAN
US 03/09/2006 2:53 P.M. BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

I suspect I might have gotten it on the fast side since there was confusion about this be a real deal. Since I was using Disney Visa which is protected against online fraud I wasn't that worried. This is so much less trouble and a much better deal.

Raven66

Hi!:wave: Sorry to revive this thread. I just received my PhotoPass CD today thru UPS. Everything that colliera is true. I admit I was a little nervous at first. So if you thinking of doing it but were afraid, nothing to worry about!

bgraham34

The cd is a great idea for those who really take advantage of the photpass service. Now if you only could have someone follow you around all day and take all the pictures you want.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom