News PhotoPass at some character locations being replaced by automated cameras

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
In an update from Disney since our original post, it is confirmed that there will still be over 100 locations where Disney PhotoPass photographers will be capturing images, and nine locations will feature the automated systems. Moments from the experience will be captured from start to finish, giving the guest a variety of images to choose from.

trainplane3

In an update from Disney since our original post, it is confirmed that there will still be over 100 locations where Disney PhotoPass photographers will be capturing images, and nine locations will feature the automated systems. Moments from the experience will be captured from start to finish, giving the guest a variety of images to choose from.
That's pretty neat then. Sounds very similar to new Photobooth feature on the Pixel phones. The phone figures out the best picture(s) but it'll let you override it and choose other pictures.

Creathir

So now instead of Disney picking out the best ones for me, they'll scan to make sure there is nothing brand offensive, then let me pick from the rest...

How nice of them...
I love the parks, but this nonsense has got to stop.
TDO has lost its way completely.

Walt and Roy worked off each other, Walt dreaming, Roy bringing things back to an accomplishable reality.
Today we don't have the visionary of Walt, and the bean counters of Roy's legacy rule the roost.

Its making the product (their brand) rather unpalatable...

MrMcDuck

Thanks for the update, but a real photographer that has a brain and can move around and work a camera intelligently to get that magical shot is a million times better in this kind of situation than some automatic camera that takes a few images. Getting lots of options to choose from doesn't change the fact that one is picking through trash.

And I'll eat a pair of Mickey Ears if it's only at nine locations a year or so from now. This is just the first step.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Thanks for the update, but a real photographer that has a brain and can move around and work a camera intelligently to get that magical shot is a million times better in this kind of situation than some automatic camera that takes a few images. Getting lots of options to choose from doesn't change the fact that one is picking through trash.

And I'll eat a pair of Mickey Ears if it's only at nine locations a year or so from now. This is just the first step.
Make sure you get pictures of that...

Animaniac93-98

You say you want a human Photopass photographer... no problem.

I am sure they will be announcing in very near future... Get those awesome family shots in front of the castle and great character interaction shots with your own WDW personal Photopass photographer ... all for the introductory price of $400/per day. :D

Or Kenny the Pirate will charge $350 to do the same thing...plus his admission.

Tavernacle12

Hmm... I'm against this in general, but it would be neat if in addition to photos we were sent full video and possibly even animations from our meets (like what Google Photos does).

Nine locations is presumably the two Sideshow areas in the circus, Tink and Mickey at town hall, the princesses in Fantasy land, Anna and Elsa, and one more? Maybe someone in the Epcot Character Spot?

Worldlover71

In my experience, the attendant will just stay in one spot and just hold the camera and take a photo. Photopass photographers will move around and get close to catch better moments, as they should be. We shouldn't assign two completely different jobs to one person.
Totally agree about two jobs not being done by one person but taking photos has always been a secondary part of the attendant's job. It depends on the person but I have a great series of pics of me with Donald taken by an attendant. Some are better then others and some want to help more than others.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Hmm... I'm against this in general, but it would be neat if in addition to photos we were sent full video and possibly even animations from our meets (like what Google Photos does).

Nine locations is presumably the two Sideshow areas in the circus, Tink and Mickey at town hall, the princesses in Fantasy land, Anna and Elsa, and one more? Maybe someone in the Epcot Character Spot?
Adventurers Outpost will be one of the 9, and possibly Red Carpet Dreams at DHS. I was originally told it would be pretty much all of the major permanent indoor locations.

ptaylor

Premium Member
A few quick comments.

Regardless of the system shooting from start to end, the majority of it will be the backs of people, leaving that feature largely pointless.

You simply cannot replace human photographers with an automated system and expect the same result. A fixed camera position will not work for anything beside a wide view of a posed picture.

This is obviously a labor saving move.

My sister is Photopass and she was told that Launch Bay will be transitioning to the automated system soon too.

Honestly, (albeit with bias considering this is affecting my sister) I think this is a short sighted cost cutting measure by Disney. While a lot of people here aren't users of Memory Maker, it actually is still a huge source of income for the parks. The problem is that anyone who buys pictures is driving money to the Merchandise line of business, not the Disney Photo Imaging line of business, so it's really easy to look at a balance sheet and say, "DPI is costing us too much money, how can we use automation to save a little."

My sister is academically trained as a photographer and is naturally gifted with good guest interaction skills, so it's a personal point of pride for her when she can coax children out of their shells and catch a good picture, or respond when she sees a couple wearing engagement buttons and encourage poses for a fun photo. Not only that, but when Disney is staffing a character meet and greet with only one attendant, the attendant is dividing their time between character and line mangagement. A Photographer can provide additional safety and management of the character, and many characters will tell you that a good photographer makes for a much easier shift. While an automated system is great for a step-and-repeat style instagram wall, character interactions are different.

KBLovedDisney

My question is, how awkward is it going to be when you have to start the interactions with a full suited, covered faced character in order to take a picture? I already have social anxiety as it is, but having to go up to a mute character and just be without the help of a CM to get you where need to be physically and mentally???!!
giphy.gif

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
My question is, how awkward is it going to be when you have to start the interactions with a full suited, covered faced character in order to take a picture? I already have social anxiety as it is, but having to go up to a mute character and just be without the help of a CM to get you where need to be physically and mentally???!!

The attendants are really going to have to step in to handle it, and the characters are going to have get creative in getting everyone in position for the automated posed shots.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom