News PhotoPass at some character locations being replaced by automated cameras

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Nobody complains about the automated photos they get from the ride cameras...

I hate on-ride photos when they're completely unnecessary. Exhibit A:
PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_8283922904.jpeg

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I agree with the consensus: what a load of crap. The absolute best Photopass shots are the ones where the photographer college kid with a camera sees a moment before the guests even know it's happening. :facepalm:

Happy?
:)

That said, we've only used photopass when it was included with APs. We have no use for it otherwise.

Rteetz

runDisney has occasionally experimented with not having PhotoPass at some character stops, and having the character attendants insist that you can't hand them your camera/phone. It inevitably ends up in a flustercluck of people handing their device off to the person behind the in the queue, and repeating that process down the line. It significantly slows the process down, thus reducing capacity, as everybody fumbles with their devices and stops to check the pictures, rather than a simple click-and-go.

If (when) a similar trend pops up at the in-park photo ops, perhaps they'll rethink this decision. Meet & greets are atrociously low capacity for the staffing required, and having live photographers significantly speeds things up, even if it is another person on the payroll. Plus, I always heard that PhotoPass CMs were easy additions, as they are seen as a method of monetizing a location; nobody is going to pay extra for a garbage photo from a glorified photo booth camera
I’ve done numerous runDisney events and just came back from one. They still have the character attendants taking peoples phones even if there is a photopass person. It’s works most efficiently when there are two attendants and they switch taking peoples phones.

drizgirl

Is that confirmed? I would think a majority of guests at a M&G want the picture to remember the moment. Seems it would be a no brainer to have a human step in and take photos.
Some M/Gs at DLR discontinued Photopass completely earlier this year. So nobody there as a backup would not shock me.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Is that confirmed? I would think a majority of guests at a M&G want the picture to remember the moment. Seems it would be a no brainer to have a human step in and take photos.
As far as I know, the plan iOS to remove the PhotoPass photographers from those locations. So in the event of a failure of the automated system, there wont be anyone else there available to step in. Of course, if it were an extended outage of days or weeks, I'm sure something would be done. But the more likely scenario is the automated system would be brought back on line before that was needed.

FigmentFreak

How about Disney just installs a permanent "selfy stick/phone mount" and you put your phone on it and click the button and there you go. No handing the character attendant your phone and no need to install cameras. Have suggested poses in MDE including "magic shots" that you just add the magic to yourself in the app when you look at the photo, like adding the borders or character signatures.

You're welcome Disney.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
How about Disney just installs a permanent "selfy stick/phone mount" and you put your phone on it and click the button and there you go. No handing the character attendant your phone and no need to install cameras. Have suggested poses in MDE including "magic shots" that you just add the magic to yourself in the app when you look at the photo, like adding the borders or character signatures.

You're welcome Disney.
That's where WDW is going -- self-service magic.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Attendants will still have to be around to coordinate the guests, and I would imagine with this change they will be taking a lot more pictures.
They'll certainly be asked to... whether or not they oblige will depend on any instructions they're given about balancing character CM safety with guest satisfaction. I wonder which will be given the higher priority...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom