Phones and Live Streaming on Rides

Is talking on your phone during a ride ok?

• Yes, always

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Yes, but only for live streaming

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but only for private conversations/calls

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • No, never

Votes: 152 96.8%

• Total voters

Diamond Dot

NNNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

EVERYONE JUST BE QUIET!

AND GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!
I am incapable of screaming on a rode, I just have a dopey grin when I'm on a roller coaster. I have a great photo taken on California Screamin' where I'm up front with a teenage lad and we both have big grins, but his mother and brother, also an older teen, are behind us with the most terrified looks on their faces, too scared to even scream.

Greg in TN

Hmm. I see a money-making opportunity for Disney. A "Disney approved" cell phone strap, that attaches to your phone and your hand, to secure the phone, and allows you to video while on the ride. You rent one for $5/per ride, each time you want to use it. And anyone without the "Disney approved" strap is NOT allowed to have their phone out during the ride.

tnemgif

Original Poster
So I know this isn’t a hill worth dying on. But I commented on a well-known TikTokker and Disney fan who was talking on his phone during Soarin. He and his moderators told me “it’s not rude.”

For people who get to go to the parks and enjoy these rides often, it may not be a big deal. But there are many who only get to experience these rides a few times in their lives. And especially for people with attention or auditory challenges, this sort of rude behavior can totally ruin the experience.

Last edited:

NelleBelle

So I know this isn’t a hill worth dying on. But I commented on a well-known TikTokker and Disney fan who was talking on his phone during Soarin. He and his moderators told me “it’s not rude.”

For people who get to go to the parks and enjoy these rides often, it may not be a big deal. But there are many who only get to experience these rides a few times in their lives. And especially for people with attention or auditory challenges, this sort of rude behavior can totally ruin the experience.
Fine, if he thinks its not rude, then he has absolutely no couth, zero manners, grace, nor class...off with his head! 😉

Ansem

I record rides all the time for social media just to share the fun of being there, but I don’t talk while sharing that experience; in part because it’s rude and also because I actually think it detracts from the experience itself.

I don’t understand how people could think it’s fine and that it somehow adds anything worthwhile to a ride (or that even if it did, that that wasn’t also detracting from any nearby guests’ experiences for it) like come on.

Patcheslee

Eh slippery slope. Parents sometimes record their kids ride on things just to have their reaction. But there are vast differences between being able to safely record on Pirates vs a fast moving ride. Also what type of device won't disrupt the ride including dealing with lighting.
Having private conversations on the phone while riding is rude if it interrupts everyone else's experience. The only exception to that is true emergency understandable. But what rides last so long you can't wait and return the call when off and can find a quiet spot?
That isn't just for rides but in general public settings. Even my kids choir concert was filled with first 4 rows of parents having their phones up and recording the entire performance. Which blocked other views because we were to remain seated. And people further back having phone conversations that could be heard between songs.

drizgirl

its been going on for a long time, and people see instagrammers, facebookers and youtuber coverage of rides all the time so they feel its normal. Even in the VHS camcorder days people did it.. its just much more obvious now and the bright screens totally take you away from immersion (IPADS!!!). Disney really should ban recording and put signs up. They would have to have people watching to a point or have those lock bags that they would have to lock and unlock at the beginning and end of rides. It really has gotten out of hand, while im glad they removed selfie sticks years ago, this and people coming up to strangers to participate in their videos and streams is something disney really should work on removing.
Even VHS recorders weren’t that bad because they were kept at shoulder or eye height. Things got so much worse once people were able to hoist the camera up above their head or at arm’s length invading others’ line of sight.

drizgirl

Oh we certainly did. Even got a front seat on World of Motion so we could “film it better” as the CM said.
The difference is that was pretty uncommon because most didn’t want to lug one around. Now that everyone has one in their pocket already, it’s next level.

Raxel7851

Is there an App available that creates static or interference so when someone is being annoying using their cell phone, you could launch your App, and disrupt things?

Kramerica

What irritates me most is flash photography via phones on dark rides. If I were dictator, using flash on Haunted Mansion would be a punishment of 20 years hard labor.

What’s more, I don’t understand peoples fascination with recording nighttime shows in their entirety on their phones or tablets. It’s one thing to take a quick snap to send to friends as a “Hey, check out what I’m doing” kind of thing. But holding your phone up, blocking the view of other guests for the entirety of a show doesn’t even make sense to me. What’s the purpose? If you’re intending on saving a video of the show for later viewing, there’s already dozens of videos on YouTube taken by higher quality equipment by more qualified people.

WorldExplorer

What irritates me most is flash photography via phones on dark rides. If I were dictator, using flash on Haunted Mansion would be a punishment of 20 years hard labor.
While we're at it, turning on the flashlight on your phone because you ignored the obvious warning signs (literal or figurative) and now your kid is freaking out would double that sentence in my dictatorship.

kalel8145

Yes for sure. I like to call my friends and describe the ride scene by scene. "And now it's the dining room scene. The Pepper's ghost effect is used so well here". Also it's hard to get away from work all the time, so conference calls on Flight of Passage can be dicey but I managed to pull it off. Speaker phone is your friend. So essential to keep in communication at all times on rides and shows.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom