Phone batteries lasting or not throughout the day

Kamikaze

Again I am basing this on real life experiences last week. Not hypothetical articles. I am not Luddite either and work in technology. When the wi-fi is weak and the phone keeps losing connection as it did all week at Disney, wi-fi is a lousy option.

The rest of the time I leave my wi-fi on. I turn it off when I go to a few places that have known crappy wi-fi though. Also 9 times out of 10 my cell provider was significantly faster connection which meant I had the screen on less time finding what I needed to do.

Did you check any other settings or options? Or did you just turn it off and go 'Hey, that fixed it!'.

Maybe turning wifi off fixed it because you had an app that has permissions to do X over WiFi but not cell data, and therefore the app no longer did X. Thus, the drain stopped, but not for the correct reason.

Turning WiFi off is not the correct solution.

correcaminos

Did you check any other settings or options? Or did you just turn it off and go 'Hey, that fixed it!'.

Maybe turning wifi off fixed it because you had an app that has permissions to do X over WiFi but not cell data, and therefore the app no longer did X. Thus, the drain stopped, but not for the correct reason.

Turning WiFi off is not the correct solution.

I'm no technology dummy. I already stated that. I also stated that ALL of our phones increased when not on wi-fi which was dropping (watched it with my own eyes). Our room was really bad to the point that I was annoyed on my tablet using it (wi-fi only).

Turning wi-fi off when the signal is weak and constantly dropping is the right thing to do. Two of your articles even said if it isn't using Wi-Fi to turn it off. Well wi-fi wouldn't connect, so I turned it off most of the time.

So how about we stop arguing this and realize many of us have had a lot of issues with Disney Wi-Fi and have for many years now. It's just not that great.

SuperStretccch

Sure, that's true if your phone actually remains connected to the Wi-Fi, and isn't constantly reconnecting due to a poor signal. My point was not that Wi-Fi as a whole is less battery efficient than using mobile data. Trust me, if Disney's Wi-Fi actually worked as it should, I would gladly be using it instead of my data plan. The problem is that it doesn't work half of the time, and ultimately is detrimental to the user's experience, and for me, it gets to the point where using data is actually the preferable option.

I've never had battery issues on Wi-Fi anywhere else, as long as I actually stay on the Wi-Fi. When I'm connected to the Internet in my house, or say, a store like Walmart, it remains connected the entire time that I'm inside, and I don't experience any drain. That is not the case at Disney. If your phone is constantly having to struggle and fight to actually remain connected to said Wi-Fi, that's when your battery gets ugly.

Kamikaze

I'm no technology dummy. I already stated that. I also stated that ALL of our phones increased when not on wi-fi which was dropping (watched it with my own eyes). Our room was really bad to the point that I was annoyed on my tablet using it (wi-fi only).

Turning wi-fi off when the signal is weak and constantly dropping is the right thing to do. Two of your articles even said if it isn't using Wi-Fi to turn it off. Well wi-fi wouldn't connect, so I turned it off most of the time.

So how about we stop arguing this and realize many of us have had a lot of issues with Disney Wi-Fi and have for many years now. It's just not that great.

Sounds more like you just have s-tier hardware.

crxbrett

I got the Pixle 2 XL and man that thing is beast. If we get to the parks around 1pm and stay until closing, I'll use perhaps 30% battery. That's with taking photos, checking internet, making/adjusting FPs, etc.

Agree x1000! Pixel 2XL user here myself and man there's nothing this phone can't do.

One of my buddies has one and he raves about it non-stop. I am seriously considering getting one as my next phone.

correcaminos

:hilarious:

Oh wait, you're being serious aren't you? If you want to be really serious, I also do not like public wi-fi for security reasons, but I must be stupid on that one too... I'll state again all phone experienced this. 2 iphones of different levels and 2 really nice and new good quality androids. Stop being so rude please.

Kamikaze

:hilarious:

Oh wait, you're being serious aren't you? If you want to be really serious, I also do not like public wi-fi for security reasons, but I must be stupid on that one too... I'll state again all phone experienced this. 2 iphones of different levels and 2 really nice and new good quality androids. Stop being so rude please.

So thats the actual reason you turned it off.

SuperStretccch

I'd like to know what your experience is with Disney Wi-Fi? Have you ever used it with no issues? Like I said previously, I've used three different types of phones at Disney, and in addition, my parents and sister all have different models of phones, LG, Samsung, and Motorola, and we all have issues with the Wi-Fi. If you somehow haven't had an issue with it, then I envy you and we'll end the discussion right here. But for me, it's just not practical, and I'm going to keep doing things the way that I believe makes sense.

Last edited:

correcaminos

So thats the actual reason you turned it off.
No it's not, but nice try again at being a know it all. I turn it off when I do things with banks or credit cards or anything like that though while on public wi-fi. Anyone who doesn't really should do it that way. However the first 3ish days of the trip I had it on otherwise. I turned it off after.

Last time I'll say this. Disney wi-fi was constantly dropping to the point where connecting and using was a pain. Read your own articles and do some research. You'll find out that it isn't wise to use wi-fi when it isn't running well.

I'd like to know what your experience is with Disney Wi-Fi? Have you ever used it with no issues? Like I said previously, I've used three different types of phones at Disney, and in addition, my parents and sister all have different models of phones, LG, Samsung, and Motorola, and we all have issues with the Wi-Fi. If you somehow haven't had an issue with it, then I envy you and we'll end the discussion right here. But for me, it's just not practical, and I'm going to keep doing things the way I like them.

this is very much our personal experiences as well over quite a few years as well. LG, Motorola, Samsung, iPhone all had issues. This trip we had 3 different brands and 2 models of iPhones to compare it to. My husband and I also work in technology and we know that if wi-fi sucks, it's not worth using. Disney wi-fi is better than it was maybe 3-4+ years ago but it still isn't great. I kept losing connection on my wi-fi only tablet and that was highly annoying.

LittleBuford

I'd like to know what your experience is with Disney Wi-Fi? Have you ever used it with no issues? Like I said previously, I've used three different types of phones at Disney, and in addition, my parents and sister all have different models of phones, LG, Samsung, and Motorola, and we all have issues with the Wi-Fi. If you somehow haven't had an issue with it, then I envy you and we'll end the discussion right here. But for me, it's just not practical, and I'm going to keep doing things the way that I believe makes sense.

For what it's worth, I too find 4G much more reliable than WDW's own wifi, so you're definitely not alone.

Kamikaze

Never had an issue with it. At either DLR or WDW. But I only purchase iPhones. Because I don't trust the reliability of Android devices.

bhg469

Moto z line has "mods" that include batteries that are flush fitting to the back of the phone. I have only used phones with swappable batteries for years because of the longevity of them. Now that manufacturers engineer these devices to fail, I use the next best thing, a phone with an option to add battery without one of those cumbersome battery packs that have to plug into your usb/lightning port. This combined with turning data off, or entering airplane mode when not in use, are really great ways to make the phone last the entire day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom