Rumor Philharmagic update still coming?

SosoDude

All the recent films are already in 3D so it'd be pretty easy to add them and just work Donald in some how.
thats-not-how-it-works-thats-not-how-any-of-this-works.jpg

CJR

I like the idea of randomized show scenes like Star Tours.

Or even holiday versions. Donald gets put in Nightmare Before Christmas, Sleepy Hollow etc for Halloween and Babes in Toyland, Olaf's Frozen Adventure etc for Christmas.

YES! A villains show would be incredible. If they would do traditionally animated film conversions again, Halloween could be amazing. I could imagine Donald watching Dr. Facilier sing Friends on the Other Side as he tries to get the hat. Lots of good potential and would be a great way to boost an often skipped attraction during Halloween parties.

Last edited:

jt04

Ummm yeah, you are trolling that philharmagic is going to be moved to EPCOT?
Maybe they will run Small world over there and toss in Carousel of Progress??
You really need to up your troll dude.

I no longer support the CoP going to Future World.

lazyboy97o

I used Mulan as an example, but there's a lot more films than Mulan too, but there's more to the point. Even if they have Mulan's character all figured out (which just to be clear, they do not, the image you showed is rather generic and Mulan's appearance will depend on which song they use), there's the back drop, side characters, etc.

The point is, Donald is getting sucked into these worlds, not the other way around. Getting everything to look just right is a huge challenge, don't sugar coat it. It's a lot of work. That's why The Lion King segment looks so much unlike the film, I suspect. You're talking a lot of work to make it happen.

That's not to say it CAN'T happen, but that it's far easier to do films that are already CGI. Obviously they CAN do it, they did it with the first version of Philharmagic. This isn't CAN they, but answering "why WON'T they do it again?" Simply put, it's more work.

Frozen, Moana, and Tangled are being picked because they're more recent, but also because it's easier/faster. I would especially say Frozen just because a sequel's coming out.
You are way overstating the lack of 3D resources for the 2D films and way understating the ease of rebuilding digital 3D assists. All of the 2D characters already exist as 3D references. The animation archives has maquettes of the characters. Even if those were not available, there is high quality, on-model merchandise that could be used as a reference. If digital assets cannot be reused (which is very likely) then you are largely in the same boat, recreating based on references.

CJR

You are way overstating the lack of 3D resources for the 2D films and way understating the ease of rebuilding digital 3D assists. All of the 2D characters already exist as 3D references. The animation archives has maquettes of the characters. Even if those were not available, there is high quality, on-model merchandise that could be used as a reference. If digital assets cannot be reused (which is very likely) then you are largely in the same boat, recreating based on references.

A bit, I know. We're talking about a management team that looks to save pennies on the dollar. My faith in TDO is low.

I'd love to be wrong, I just see them picking up anything they possibly can for as cheap as they can. Overstating, maybe, but I think that's how TDO will see it. It seems unlikely to me that the same budget, adjusted for inflation, and effort will be put into a new film. That's not to say that it will be bad, but that I see them looking to do it quickly and reuse as much digitally as they can.

lazyboy97o

A bit, I know. We're talking about a management team that looks to save pennies on the dollar. My faith in TDO is low.

I'd love to be wrong, I just see them picking up anything they possibly can for as cheap as they can. Overstating, maybe, but I think that's how TDO will see it. It seems unlikely to me that the same budget, adjusted for inflation, and effort will be put into a new film. That's not to say that it will be bad, but that I see them looking to do it quickly and reuse as much digitally as they can.
The cheapest option would be outsourcing the animation, which would mean not using Disney and Pixar’s assets.

CJR

It was in-house and they made a huge deal about it being done by Walt Disney Feature Animation.

Thanks! I thought that was the case, but it's been a long time.

Seems like they'd do it in house again, but the way I read the OP is they'd be working two or three scenes into the existing film somehow, maybe replacing two or three scenes. Could have read that wrong though. We'll find out later, I suppose.

geekza

Seems like they'd do it in house again, but the way I read the OP is they'd be working two or three scenes into the existing film somehow, maybe replacing two or three scenes. Could have read that wrong though. We'll find out later, I suppose.
The OP also joined the boards, started this thread, made two more comments and hasn't posted since. They never did give any background for their info, either. Take that for what it's worth.

CJR

The OP also joined the boards, started this thread, made two more comments and hasn't posted since. They never did give any background for their info, either. Take that for what it's worth.

That is an excellent point.

I think a solid Philharmagic is something nearly all of us would like, so it's easy to see a rumor and drool at the thought. Best not to get hope too high though until we hear something more solid.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
That is an excellent point.

I think a solid Philharmagic is something nearly all of us would like, so it's easy to see a rumor and drool at the thought. Best not to get hope too high though until we hear something more solid.
This is a rumor that has popped up as something Disney would want by the 50th in the past by trusted insiders (I'm pretty sure at least, memory could be fuzzy I suppose). So, while taking this, and every rumor not started by trusted people, with a grain or two of salt is smart, there is more to this idea than just a bus driver saying it or a random post.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
This is a rumor that has popped up as something Disney would want by the 50th in the past by trusted insiders (I'm pretty sure at least, memory could be fuzzy I suppose). So, while taking this, and every rumor not started by trusted people, with a grain or two of salt is smart, there is more to this idea than just a bus driver saying it or a random post.
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...dom-now-cancelled.929270/page-30#post-7942180

Yeah, here's @marni1971 saying it as, at the very least, something that was being looked at. So, even if the person who started this thread doesn't have credibility, the rumor itself does

RSoxNo1

All the recent films are already in 3D so it'd be pretty easy to add them and just work Donald in some how.

I wonder if they'll consider making a version for California. A tweaked version could fit well in the old Muppet Vision theater. Seems like a good opportunity to do it, if they ever wanted to bring it to the west coast. We know how they love to spread out the costs.
I would think that since many of these characters have 3d models that would help, no?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom