Philharmagic and men with blueprints

CThaddeus

Oh, you mean the giant, immersive screens and the crystal clear 3-D animation with classic Disney characters and songs wasn't enough for him?

I could go into a lengthy discourse as to why I wasn't impressed by this film, but I won't. The fact is, I left the theater thinking, "Wow. How overrated was that?" I don't feel the screens - no matter how "giant" - were immersive, I don't care for the computer animation of traditionally hand-drawn characters (most of them just don't look right), and there was no real plot. Most of the 3-D movies aren't heavy with plot, but for me they somehow come together better than this did. Sorry, it just didn't work for me. I wish it did. It was weak (especially for a 3-D film) , and while I'll undoubtedly watch it again next time I'm there, it will never be in my top ten Magic Kingdom attractions and it's definitely not a "must do." Going back to my previous comment about HISTA, it's not a "must do" either, but it was a much more immersive experience. I guess I just expect 3-D films at Disney to get progressively more impressive...since up to this point they have. A bigger screen alone ain't going to cut it.

DisneyAnole

I could go into a lengthy discourse as to why I wasn't impressed by this film, but I won't. The fact is, I left the theater thinking, "Wow. How overrated was that?" I don't feel the screens - no matter how "giant" - were immersive, I don't care for the computer animation of traditionally hand-drawn characters (most of them just don't look right), and there was no real plot. Most of the 3-D movies aren't heavy with plot, but for me they somehow come together better than this did. Sorry, it just didn't work for me. I wish it did. It was weak (especially for a 3-D film) , and while I'll undoubtedly watch it again next time I'm there, it will never be in my top ten Magic Kingdom attractions and it's definitely not a "must do." Going back to my previous comment about HISTA, it's not a "must do" either, but it was a much more immersive experience. I guess I just expect 3-D films at Disney to get progressively more impressive...since up to this point they have. A bigger screen alone ain't going to cut it.

It's funny you mention the lack of plot, because that's one of the reasons I prefer Philharmagic. WDI likes to burden attractions that should be simple fun with overly-complicated storylines (i.e. Dinosaur, SGE). But for Philharmagic, I feel like they avoided that by letting the visuals and the music carry the attraction. And I agree it's not the size of the screen that counts, but how you use it. :lol: Still, for my money, the 3-D images from Philharmagic (the gems Ariel tosses out, e.g.) seem a lot more clear and pull me into the attraction more than the images from HISTA (like the lion or snake).

SDav10495

To be fair (and without taking a "side"), there is a difference between an attraction that is too burdened with unnecessary plot and an attraction that really is just meant to tell a story. It's one thing to compare, say, Haunted Mansion with Dinosaur (a much-used comparison in this "myth of story" argument); it's quite another to compare Legend of the Lion King with Philharmagic.

In the first pair, we can see that the classic Haunted Mansion succeeds tremendously because its concept--visit a haunted house--is best presented without a plodding storyline. Likewise, we can see that Dinosaur is far less successful because its equally simple concept--travel to the time of the dinosaurs--just gets weighted down by the addition of a superfluous plot.

In the second pair, we're dealing with two shows, so already our expectations are different--it's a presentational format, so we actually welcome a plot. The Legend of the Lion King is meant to be a straightforward, albeit creative, re-telling of the movie. Philharmagic is meant to be an arrangement of scenes from various Disney movies. They're just two different types of shows, both equally valid. Neither, IMO, is an example of what WDI should not be doing.

(And actually, though I enjoy Philharmagic and don't personally feel this way, you could very easily argue that Philharmagic, more than TLK, is the show with the too-burdensome plot--rather than just let a medley be a simple medley, it feels the need to thread the tired "something is lost, someone needs to find it" storyline throughout the show. So...something to consider.)

DisneyAnole

To be fair (and without taking a "side"), there is a difference between an attraction that is too burdened with unnecessary plot and an attraction that really is just meant to tell a story. It's one thing to compare, say, Haunted Mansion with Dinosaur (a much-used comparison in this "myth of story" argument); it's quite another to compare Legend of the Lion King with Philharmagic.

In the first pair, we can see that the classic Haunted Mansion succeeds tremendously because its concept--visit a haunted house--is best presented without a plodding storyline. Likewise, we can see that Dinosaur is far less successful because its equally simple concept--travel to the time of the dinosaurs--just gets weighted down by the addition of a superfluous plot.

In the second pair, we're dealing with two shows, so already our expectations are different--it's a presentational format, so we actually welcome a plot. The Legend of the Lion King is meant to be a straightforward, albeit creative, re-telling of the movie. Philharmagic is meant to be an arrangement of scenes from various Disney movies. They're just two different types of shows, both equally valid. Neither, IMO, is an example of what WDI should not be doing.

(And actually, though I enjoy Philharmagic and don't personally feel this way, you could very easily argue that Philharmagic, more than TLK, is the show with the too-burdensome plot--rather than just let a medley be a simple medley, it feels the need to thread the tired "something is lost, someone needs to find it" storyline throughout the show. So...something to consider.)

But Philharmagic's story, if you want to call it that, is in the background. I don't think about the story when I'm watching the musical numbers, because the story doesn't infringe on my enjoyment of the visuals. Donald's subplot is really just a way to tie together a bunch of disparate scenes that would otherwise be criticized for not being unified. Of course the subplot doesn't need to be there, but it's a good excuse to see Donald interact with characters from the animated movies, which is another fun novelty of the show.

d43boy

Just to comment on the stroller situation, I have to say, like wheelchairs and ECV's, they are getting way out of hand.

Friends of ours were upset they didn't bring their own stroller to their last visit to WDW and going forward would bring their own from home and not rent them at the parks. Why you ask? Because they were tired of hearing their children whine, cry, scream and complain about walking from the bus stop to the gate. (by the way, the children are 4 and 5) They cried and cried and begged to be carried.

Is it just me or are kids so much more whiny these days and have a much bigger sense of entitlement? Of course, it all goes back to the parents, unfortunately. While not making a blanket statement here, every year at WDW, there are more whiny crying complaining children. Granted there are more kids at WDW than any where else, but alanindy has a point, the parents are forcing these kids to make a 15-16 hour day with no breaks, no naps, etc. Take them back to the hotel! Don't wear them out! No wonder so many kids are so cross!

And if parents think renting a u-haul (stroller) for the kid will help, it doesn't.

When our parents took us as children, we went back to the hotel in the early afternoon for a nap, snack, swim etc. Just a break in general. Then we would go back in the evening to catch the fireworks and the parade (Main St. Electrical parade at that time...*sigh*) I am sure we were much more pleasant after we had a nap and a break.

Just a thought....

**and Phil is great! Stroller parking needs to be fixed...

SDav10495

But Philharmagic's story, if you want to call it that, is in the background. I don't think about the story when I'm watching the musical numbers, because the story doesn't infringe on my enjoyment of the visuals. Donald's subplot is really just a way to tie together a bunch of disparate scenes that would otherwise be criticized for not being unified. Of course the subplot doesn't need to be there, but it's a good excuse to see Donald interact with characters from the animated movies, which is another fun novelty of the show.

Well as I said, I do agree with you there--I myself enjoy Philharmagic. It just occurred to me that the argument about too much plot could more readily be made about Philharmagic than it could about Legend of the Lion King, a show that doesn't pretend to be anything but a re-telling.

MinnieMee

Totally disagree about the stroller argument. WDW caters for small children and most need to use a stroller. We are taking an 18month old child in the summer and would not dream of going without our stroller.

For a start she is very little and would have trouble walking for any length of time. She would probably get under peoples feet - if they actually noticed her way down there. She would get trampled on. Thats not fair on her or on those people walking around her.

We use our stroller to push her around in and I am always aware of where I am going and who I am near. Therefore do not run into other people.

The problem I see more is that people walking around and never watching where they are going. They are chatting or looking at the next ride or whatever and constantly bashing into my stroller. You see it with the ECBVs aswell. People just walk in front of them and then have the cheek to complain if it touches their ankles.

Maybe instead of maoning about the number of strollers that are around you could just watch where you are going and then perhaps everyone could be happy.

I do however note that not everyone is as careful when pushing strollers and I tyoo have seen them overloaded with bags and other children. But you do see this in shops and on the streets aswell - its not just a wdw thing.

Considering we are talking about a place aimed mainly at children I surprised by the comments on here. Or is it that most people don't have children of their own?

MinnieMee

As for Philarmagic - love it!!!! The lack of complicated story line is great for kids who sometimes get lost in the more convoluted ones.

The animation and the music is great.

CJR

Considering we are talking about a place aimed mainly at children I surprised by the comments on here. Or is it that most people don't have children of their own?

WDW is aimed mainly at famlies. Family's ages can rage from a few months old to 100 years old. To say it's aimed mainly at children is completely wrong. There are actually more rides that children cannot ride than rides adults cannot ride. They aim for everyone.

I think the problem is there are too many people with strollers that don't need them. Sure an 18 month old baby would need one but a five year old child (yes, I do see them in strollers) do not. Most people abuse the power of the stroller and use it block people off to get where they want to go. Not all people do, but most. I guess they think they should have more priority because they have a stroller.

I bet there are even people who rent strollers thinking they can short cut lines like people have been known to do with wheel chairs. Then they get mad and leave the stroller in the stroller parking area, vacant, for the rest of the day.

MinnieMee

Most people abuse the power of the stroller and use it block people off to get where they want to go. Not all people do, but most. I guess they think they should have more priority because they have a stroller.

I bet there are even people who rent strollers thinking they can short cut lines like people have been known to do with wheel chairs.

I think saying "most" is a bit of an exaggeration is it not? Perhaps some might wield their stroller like some kind of weapon but I don't think most do. I have never encountered anyone doing this to me while I've been in WDW. And I seriously doubt that people think they can cut lines with them.

And while its true that small children can't ride everything I think its wrong to say that the parks in general are not aimed mainly at children. Even if it is not quite true and they are aimed at families as you say, surely noone goes there expecting that they won't see many children.

The intolerance for other people is quite amazing. If people want or need to bring a stroller for their children why shouldn't they? Until Disney put an age restriction on strollers or control how many can enter a park in any one day - surely its a non issue?

And as I said if people walking around thinking they have more right to get from A to B than a small child in a stroller or someone in an ECV pay a little bit more attention then there would not be such a problem.

MiklCraw4d

Not to digress too far from the topic, but what did parents do with their toddlers back in the 70's and 80's before the use of strollers at theme parks was so over utilized that we must have enormous parking lots for them at many attractions??

*applause applause*

I agree with every point you made in your post, and have probably made them all myself in recent visits. I'm not sure what cultural change has occurred to make this such a blight, but it's a noticeable trend over the last 5-10 years.

When we went on our first WDW trip I was 5 and my brother was 2. He rode in a stroller, I didn't. It was a simple, fold-up design - not one of the modern urban assault varieties (your sherpa-pack comment was dead on). After that, I don't know if he ever has a stroller at WDW again.

We would walk, he would get carried if tired, and if we needed a break we would take one. These days you see people going until the wee hours and - as you said - dragging around miserable, crying children after midnight (some kids can deal fine with late hours - I always could - but you have to know the limitations of your own kids). You see people forcing their kids to see things and do things that the kids don't want to do just because the parents want to see it. And the result? Always a big screaming fight with the parents coming off worse than the kids.

I don't ever blame the kids, of course - it's the parents who want to go on living the high life without taking any consideration for their children or the people around them. There's a weird lack of awareness there days of how ones actions affect others that I think is at play.

Great post.

Anyway, about Philharmagic, I think the show is class but the preshow needs - well, anything. And not just a flat-panel LCD with Mickey talking to you. Something unique, like the Rafiki preshow was.

BradleyJay

We are taking an 18month old child in the summer and would not dream of going without our stroller.

The problem isn't the parents who are pushing an 18 month old infant in a a stroller.

Take a look at the kids in the majority of them, parents are now pusshing 8, 9 and 10 year old kids in them.

The other day, an 11 or 12 year old kid, was yelling at her mom, who wasnt as big as the kid, to pick up the pace, while the kid was bent over backwards in a double wide.

Parents are pushing kids , to much older ages than ever before. Spend some time looking at the kids being pushed. At least 1/3 to 1/2 the kids, have outgrown the strollers, especially the rental ones.

If a Kid is to big to fit in the stroller, it is a good sinh they are old enough to walk.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom