Philharmagic and men with blueprints

dizzney

For the record, we LOVEEEEEEEEEE Philarmagic,

Need to see it every trip, 12 dys and counting now!

But we've taken friends who never even realized it was there, it needs to be better adverstised outside

And as to those strollers, they are ridiculous, I remember pushing my twins stoller and praying for the day they would walk on their own around the park as its a nuisance, thank goodness they are out of them now for several years (they're 8) it makes our trips more enjoyable!

12 days .......:sohappy:

Okie Mike

Not to digress too far from the topic, but what did parents do with their toddlers back in the 70's and 80's before the use of strollers at theme parks was so over utilized that we must have enormous parking lots for them at many attractions??

Strollers have become the bane of my existence when I visit any theme park over the last dozen or so years. Especially Disneyland and WDW's Magic Kingdom. Rude parents clogging up walkways by parking them where they are clearly not supposed to be, rude parents ramming them into other guests heels, legs, etc., rude parents just stopping anywhere they please to search through the many bags, back packs, etc. overloaded onto these sherpa style survival kits (there are things called lockers that can be utilized), or rude parents plowing through packs of people as if the stroller was their own private bulldozer...er... audience removal system. I've seen blithe parents knock other guests over with the stroller and people falling onto the stroller - - not very safe for the child IN the stroller!

I remember as a child I actually WALKED around when visiting a theme park and when I got tired, we stopped and enjoyed an attraction, sat on a bench, had something to eat, went back to the car or hotel for a while, etc. I wasn't hauled around like I was in a rickshaw. No wonder we have so many overweight children. Last time I was at the Magic Kingdom during extra magic hours, there were HUNDREDS of toddlers in strollers out even at midnight, nearly all of which were crying, whining, etc. as they most likely should have been in bed at that time, not being hauled around hours beyond what is reasonable by thoughtless, inconsiderate parents. Ironically, it was at Philharmagic that this became so intensely noticeable as the majority of the auditorium was filled with crying toddlers. I regretted trying to enjoy that attraction at that time. Figuring it wouldn't be filled with crying, whining toddlers at MIDNIGHT as it can be during the afternoons.

I'm sure there are times when it is best to use them, and understand that. The nice people utilizing strollers out of sheer necessity or using good judgement as to when to use one, and following good, polite behavior in public are becoming few and far between unfortunately. Strollers have sadly become an excuse for some people to attempt to avoid actually dealing with the realities of forcing a toddler to spend 15 hours in a theme park in 85 degree heat. It's just not smart and justifying the expense of the trip to Disney on this isn't reasonable either - it's bad judement. Some parents need to realize that they cant do the same things the same way they did before they had kids. Dont ruin your kids enjoyment of the trip out of your unrealistic view of how the trip should go, give the kids a break.

Sorry for that....rant over.

So, if this group of folks looking over blueprints even is something as minor as a stroller parking lot - - - ANY way to get these major negative impacts out of the walk ways and find more space to park them, is a huge plus, even if it's just while guests are enjoying a somewhat lengthy attraction. Fewer strollers in the streets = better (AND SAFER) overall guest experience.

Ok - I know I'm going to get knocked around for what I posted, as some will take offense to what I said ....... <sigh>

By the way, crying kids notwithstanding, Philharmagic is one of the best new attractions to come from Disney in the last decade. It's my favorite 4D experience in any park, even though I LOVE Muppetvision.
Right on! WDW would be wonderful without all those pesky families with children. I mean, everyone knows Disney Parks is marketing to 20 year old single men. It's their bread and butter business. AND, what are those parents thinking taking their toddlers on Mickey's Philharmagic? I'm with you, it just doesn't make any sense.

Chape19714

Right on! WDW would be wonderful without all those pesky families with children. I mean, everyone knows Disney Parks is marketing to 20 year old single men. It's their bread and butter business. AND, what are those parents thinking taking their toddlers on Mickey's Philharmagic? I'm with you, it just doesn't make any sense.
Hey now, he never said that. He just mentioned the current state of strollers in the park. Opinions aside, the fact is that strollers were FAR less utilized in the earlier days of Disneyland and WDW.

Okie Mike

Hey now, he never said that. He just mentioned the current state of strollers in the park. Opinions aside, the fact is that strollers were FAR less utilized in the earlier days of Disneyland and WDW.
You probably know more than I, but is that a fact? Could it be that the resort is just more crowded in general? I visited in the 70's and 80's and I remember strollers and stroller parking. Everyone has a right to their opinion, but Alanindy said a lot more than that. I just think some of the parent/child bashing, that goes on here, is ironic for the subject of WDW and, in particular, Fantasyland attractions. Hey, buyer beware, if you go to Disneyworld you will encounter children and all that goes with that. I re-read my post and the tone was a little harsh. Didn't intend.

With that said, does anyone else think the rental strollers are too big? I've seen two kids, camera, diaper, and 5 shopping bags fitting comfortably in one stroller crusing down mainstreet. Just a thought.

bhg469

Maybe they're finally going to give it a preshow instead of just a lame holding pen. This attraction is such a letdown after the much more impressive Legend of the Lion King. Between the Rafiki preshow and the impressive pupeteering of the main show, Philharmagic doesn't hold a candle to it. I know many think it's a great show, but I still feel all of the other WDW 3-D films are better (even HISTA).

Sorry, but I was not impressed with this show... Maybe it was all the hype I read about it beforehand, but I can't understand why it gets the rants and raves it does after seeing it. We loved the music and overall story... but found the execution (sound, flow, etc) to be a disaster and disapointment. :shrug:

I will say that it does need a little bit of facelift though; it's easy to overlook when your not in search of it. I've never had an issue with the queue; it's always been a walk on into a half empty theater, never really had a chance to look. It's definately not a "stroller friendly" set up though; I wouldn't mind them using empty space (someone mentioned a building) as a main stroller hub for some of the FL attractions to keep traffic flowing.

I don't expect this attraction is going anywhere or being rehabbed anytime soon, but if this is what people are "looking forward to" as the positive future of Disney attractions... I'm obviously missing something! :eek:

I agree with you both.. The 3d is great and the music is good but there is nothing to it. After muppetvision and tough to be a bug, philharmagic is weak in comparison when you consider the amount of interactivity. I really think its over hyped on these boards and really don't see what all the hype is about..

Slowjack

Not to digress too far from the topic, but what did parents do with their toddlers back in the 70's and 80's before the use of strollers at theme parks was so over utilized that we must have enormous parking lots for them at many attractions??

Strollers have become the bane of my existence when I visit any theme park over the last dozen or so years.
I can't speak to theme parks in general, but what you are seeing at WDW is a greater percentage of families coming with younger children. There are simply more toddlers (and just plain babies) now.

Which makes sense. Families that came in the 70s and 80s were typically coming at the behest of their children. That means the children had to be old enough to know what WDW was and that they wanted to go there. If someone was coming with a 2 year old, it generally meant they also had an 8 year old and didn't have someone they could leave the toddler with. These days, though, many families at WDW are what I will call "second generation" WDW fans. They came to WDW as children and are now coming back as adults. These adults are often bringing the children, instead of the other way around, so whether the kids are old enough to comprehend WDW isn't the issue.

Thus, more strollers. And you can chalk up stuff like the Pooh playground to the younger demographic, also.

I'm one of those second-generation fans myself, so I understand the pull. My daughter isn't old enough to "get" WDW yet and I don't want to be one of those stroller-bound parents myself. At the same time I know how much I've missed WDW...

PigletIsMyCat

I don't mind the abundance of strollers, I just mind the lack of respect that many people show to each other while at the parks. And, people weilding strollers are my number one problem. Many - NOT ALL - but many people pushing children in strollers are just not paying attention to what is going on around them, or even what's going on in the stroller. It should also be pointed out that strollers are not wheeled storage devices that happen to cart children too. I cannot tell you how many times I have seen strollers covered in shopping bags fall over - with the children in them!

My second biggest problem is anyone who doesn't watch where they are going, and walks directly in front of anything with wheels: strollers, ECVs, wheelchairs. There is momentum built up behind these things, they are not always easy to stop on a dime when a gaggle of teens decides to cut in front of you and stop. I cannot tell you how many times I have almost rammed into people who step in front of my wheelchair and come to a dead stop.

Anyplace as big as Disney, with that many people in it... watch where you're going. I never had people run into me while walking on the street in Manhattan, or in the malls in NY at holiday time. It seems that people come down here for a vacation, and forget regular rules of respect, courtesy, and safety.

</rant> Anyway, we love Philharmagic, but I agree that the outside of the building doesn't really do a great job advertising the ride. I'd love to see a better facade, as well as a more... well, more 'anything' pre-show. It's a little bland. Even having Disney songs to sing along to would be better than what's there now. Which is nothing. They could knock up a projector and show Disney character sing-a-longs or something.

Tinkrbell

When I was there the first week of January, I did notice that several ceiling tiles in the preshow/ holding room were missing.

PigletIsMyCat

That is not the purpose of strollers, and using them as such can cause safety issues. I know that's what most people seem to use them for, and I think it's dangerous and that danger should be pointed out to stroller-renters. The same way ECV's are not family-ride on carts. Children should not go in your basket or on your lap when you are using one. It specifically states that in the contract you sign when you rent an ECV. It's not said to tick people off - it's a safety issue, and I feel the stroller-as-storage is becoming a safety issue as well.

RSoxNo1

Maybe they're finally going to give it a preshow instead of just a lame holding pen. This attraction is such a letdown after the much more impressive Legend of the Lion King. Between the Rafiki preshow and the impressive pupeteering of the main show, Philharmagic doesn't hold a candle to it. I know many think it's a great show, but I still feel all of the other WDW 3-D films are better (even HISTA).

Sorry, but I beg to differ. This is the same Lion King show that featured the Chuck E Cheese style puppets/animatronics that smiled when they were crying.

Scar

It's interesting someone mentioned the "quotability" of the other 3D movies. The biggest thing lacking, IMHO, from Philharmagic is the absence of actual "quotes". HISTA, MV3D, ITTBAB all have much more speaking action whereas Philharmagic utilizes the songs to move the flow and not so much the quotes. Seriously, what is the best quote of Philharmagic? "Uh, oh"? "Oh boy, oh boy"? "Ha, ha!"? "Thank you"?

Granted, it does NOT detract from the overall experience, IMHO. It is a definite must do for my family (our eight year old daughter, thankfully, far removed from the stroller debate). Just interesting that there are no real "quotes" from the attraction itself.

Chape19714

You probably know more than I, but is that a fact? Could it be that the resort is just more crowded in general? I visited in the 70's and 80's and I remember strollers and stroller parking. Everyone has a right to their opinion, but Alanindy said a lot more than that. I just think some of the parent/child bashing, that goes on here, is ironic for the subject of WDW and, in particular, Fantasyland attractions. Hey, buyer beware, if you go to Disneyworld you will encounter children and all that goes with that. I re-read my post and the tone was a little harsh. Didn't intend.

With that said, does anyone else think the rental strollers are too big? I've seen two kids, camera, diaper, and 5 shopping bags fitting comfortably in one stroller crusing down mainstreet. Just a thought.
Well, I don't have numbers, but the trend is on the rise, even when adjusted to "inflation" of more guests. The locations have moved to make for more room, and stroller parking areas grow at a faster pase then the increasing number of visitors. Just some oberservations I've made over the past years. Looking at family photos from the 70's or even my father's pictures of Disneyland in the 60's, with VERY few strollers in sight, and the park still pretty crowded.

I do think the strollers are large, but the guests like the size, and besides, they fold up really nice for storage.

Just all IMHO.

Anyhow, I would not be surprised if they are expanding the stroller parking area for Philhar, as it blocks access to the store, which is huge because that store has huge potential as a sidewalk vendor to draw passerbys, as well as those exiting the show. It currently only pulls those exiting the show.

catne

Wow. Worse than HISTA? Philharmagic a letdown? :shrug:

I'd say Philharmagic is one of the few attractions from the past 10 years that's really engaging and successful and worth seeing on every trip.

Agree 100%...we loved Philharmagic last year, we'll be sure to see it again this year.

themarchhare

PhilharMagic is classic disney, although I agree that the FP is unnecessary and a pre-show would be nice. I'd love to see the fab five all make an actual visual appearance!

Also - going out on a limb here - the theme of music would make a great 5th gate....

Figment571

I think that PM can become what Walt wanted for Fantasia. Constantly changing with old and new thrown in. Imagine the possibilities, you can have NBC, Lilo and Stitch even old attractions with great music.

CThaddeus

Sorry, but I beg to differ. This is the same Lion King show that featured the Chuck E Cheese style puppets/animatronics that smiled when they were crying.

Chuck E. Cheese? Are you serious? Sorry, but I REALLY beg to differ. Technically, the show was very impressive (a precursor to Finding Nemo: The Musical), especially the Rafiki with the moving mouth (years before the current Castle stage show).
Your opinion of the puppets aside, though, are you really saying that a mostly plotless 3-D movie is more impressive than a show employing numerous media and actually telling the story of "The Lion King?" Again, I beg to differ. But, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

WDWFigment said:
I think he just says that for the sake of provocation...

No, I think he says that because he truly wasn't impressed by the show and would love to see it improved. It's okay right now, but it could have been so much more.

DisneyAnole

No, I think he says that because he truly wasn't impressed by the show and would love to see it improved. It's okay right now, but it could have been so much more.

Oh, you mean the giant, immersive screens and the crystal clear 3-D animation with classic Disney characters and songs wasn't enough for him?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom