News Phil Holmes Retiring in August

MarvelCharacterNerd

Disappointing to not make it to your 50th year with the company nor WDW's 50th anniversary. :( I know it's just a number and he'll have a nice pension no doubt either way, but it's still symbolic.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Never in my career have I met a successful manager who did not have some people along the way who felt they had been slighted or treated poorly in some way by that manager. There is always more to these stories. People should be remembered and measured on the broad view of experiences and impact vs judged for any one individual who has a negative view.

That doesn't mean that individual didn't have what they perceived as a negative experience, only that it should not taint the overall impression of a person.

Last edited:

BrowncatP

He will always be present in the Magic Kingdom. Just go into the small Beauty and the Beast gift shop in Fantasyland and look at the portrait. When Enchanted Tales with Belle was having some problems and the line wasn't moving he answered my husbands question about why the line wasn't moving.

DavidS1234

As someone who worked an MK attraction during his tenure, where I and a few others said hi to him when he went into our attraction, he literally said the words, "You do not speak unless spoken to." He is directly responsible for lots of mismanagement throughout the park during his tenure that other area leaders that have come in after have had to clean up. If MK CM's had a positive opinion on him, he wouldn't have earned the nickname Skeletor throughout the parks.

That should say everything. (Fun fact: Chapek also did the same thing to CM's during the opening of the Skyliner. His wife, however, is much nicer.)

Heck ..I wish I had a cool moniker like Skeletor... 😂

t3techcom18

He would have had the power to suggest things to the higher ups, especially given how close they were to tearing down the track.

I'm sure @marni1971 has the full story.

If the Operations area managers have power over Maintenance when it comes to a lot of factors when it should be vice versa, it's well within the realm of reason for a park VP to have that kind of power.

The Empress Lilly

The portrait in Fantasyland was not something he designed or asked for.
Perhaps, but a portrait of that size in that prominent a location is not exactly installed against somebody's will...

If Holmes really didn't ask for it directly, the portrait becomes telling of not just managerial superiority complexes but also of a toxic rear end kissing culture in WDI.

The Empress Lilly

Never in my career have I met a successful manager who did not have some people along the way who felt they had been slighted or treated poorly in some way by that manager. There is always more to these stories. People should be remembered and measured on the broad view of experiences and impact vs judged for any one individual who has a negative view.

That doesn't mean that individual didn't have what they perceived as a negative experience, only that it should not taint the overall impression of a person.
We are all complex characters, mixtures of some good, some bad. Indeed one judges the entirety of a person.

Nevertheless, I will judge a man's character based on how he treats the weakest, not the strongest. Holmes is deemed a pleasant character by higher-ups, and a cold curt one by hourly staff.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We are all complex characters, mixtures of some good, some bad. Indeed one judges the entirety of a person.

Nevertheless, I will judge a man's character based on how he treats the weakest, not the strongest. Holmes is deemed a pleasant character by higher-ups, and a cold curt one by hourly staff.
Wait...how did Paul pressler make his way in here?!?🤪

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom