News Phil Holmes Retiring in August

gerarar

Premium Member
I think I saw him during one of the early morning openings at 6am for ROTR during Christmas week. He was talking to cast members and helping guests and thought it was kinda cool.

49 years is commendable service though!!

celluloid

There was a funny cutout of him in MK costuming back in the day, not sure if it was still there. New Fantasyland image of him, not so much.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I feel like this was expected to happen. He was moved over there from MK to manage the park through the launch of Toy Story Land, Galaxy's Edge and MMRR. Now that those are complete he's ready to retire.
Yep I remember writing numerous times that he would be expected to retire "soon." I think experience was needed for Galaxy's Edge and he stayed on for that, and by all accounts did a great job of managing the Studios. The Cast seemed extremely well prepared during those high pressure times - a credit to Phil and the leaders there.

peter11435

Goodbye, Skeletor...

As much as I'm thankful for the second bit, but as for the first...lots of CM's would like to say otherwise. The portrait in New Fantasyland should say everything.
Lots of employees always have negative things to say about their bosses and leaders.

The portrait in Fantasyland was not something he designed or asked for.

t3techcom18

Lots of employees always have negative things to say about their bosses and leaders.

The portrait in Fantasyland was not something he designed or asked for.

As someone who worked an MK attraction during his tenure, where I and a few others said hi to him when he went into our attraction, he literally said the words, "You do not speak unless spoken to." He is directly responsible for lots of mismanagement throughout the park during his tenure that other area leaders that have come in after have had to clean up. If MK CM's had a positive opinion on him, he wouldn't have earned the nickname Skeletor throughout the parks.

That should say everything. (Fun fact: Chapek also did the same thing to CM's during the opening of the Skyliner. His wife, however, is much nicer.)

peter11435

As someone who worked an MK attraction during his tenure, where I and a few others said hi to him when he went into our attraction, he literally said the words, "You do not speak unless spoken to." He is directly responsible for lots of mismanagement throughout the park during his tenure that other area leaders that have come in after have had to clean up. If MK CM's had a positive opinion on him, he wouldn't have earned the nickname Skeletor throughout the parks.

That should say everything. (Fun fact: Chapek also did the same thing to CM's during the opening of the Skyliner. His wife, however, is much nicer.)
Based on personal interactions I’ve had with both Holmes and Chapek I have to doubt your story. Not saying either are perfect leaders.

I agree that Chapek’s wife is very nice.

Lilofan

Disney like many companies have salaried layoffs every several years. Phil Holmes survived the cut every time...

WDW Pro

Sorry to hear about your experiences. I and others have had very positive interactions with Holmes, but maybe it was a bad day? Who knows.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom