PERMITS

britain

wasn't the small support walkway added during the Indy addition? I remember when the attraction opened they used to have this point be the start of the Indy extended queue. They did this to remove the long queue from the walkways of adventureland. Somehow i remember standing there waiting and at certain points a CM would take a group of guests from this point over to the attraction entry area then go back and get next group when needed.
what i don't remember is if this had been planned or if it was done to control the huge lines that appeared when the attraction opened.

I recall it being added along with the green rock restroom wall at the time Indy opened. About the same time Jungle Cruise got its double decker boat house.

Disney Analyst

Has anyone noticed any permits we may have missed to indicate work on the muppet theatre for PhilharMagic? I assume there would be permits filed if they were bringing the full experience to the theatre.

VJ

Has anyone noticed any permits we may have missed to indicate work on the muppet theatre for PhilharMagic? I assume there would be permits filed if they were bringing the full experience to the theatre.
please, please, please don't get your hopes up.

Old Mouseketeer

please, please, please don't get your hopes up.

My recollection was that they would need to semi-demolish the theater and expand into the pre-show area to come close to the WDW experience. Since it's opening in weeks, I assume they are basically playing a version of the movie in the existing Muppet Theater. Not sure what they may add in physical form or re-dress the pre-show area.

VJ

My recollection was that they would need to semi-demolish the theater and expand into the pre-show area to come close to the WDW experience. Since it's opening in weeks, I assume they are basically playing a version of the movie in the existing Muppet Theater. Not sure what they may add in physical form or re-dress the pre-show area.
well, it's opening in weeks but hasn't the theater been closed for months? maybe this has been in the works longer than it's been announced?

Old Mouseketeer

well, it's opening in weeks but hasn't the theater been closed for months? maybe this has been in the works longer than it's been announced?

But there has been no major construction reported there from any source. No permits. No construction fences backstage. No closure of spaces within that building, including stockroom, operations lead office, and character dressing room. What was talked about a couple of years ago would probably have required a year of construction. My best guess is that what will open next month is "PhilharMagic Lite".

SSG

Original Poster
BLD2019-01322Disney - Frontierland - Mercantile - Tenant Improvement: Removal of one existind wood column and reconfiguration of existing wood framed roof canopy structure.

BLD2019-01278Plumbing to reference permit BLD2018-05256 - Disney - BOH - Show Overhoul Bldg 9073. Animation Shop

BLD2019-01303Simba Parking Lot - Site Development: (6) Prefabricated toll booth (s) total 306 sq.ft, relocate (3) light poles, new subpanel fed from pararadise pier hotel existing address meter 1717 Disneyland Dr.

BLD2019-01310Simba Parking Lot - EV Charger Level 2 (3).

SGN2019-00075DTD - Building D/ unit 101 - Installation (2) non-illuminated wall signs, (1) illuminated blade sign, (5) illuminated wall signs for "Black Tap"

SGN2019-00077Downtown Disney - Building CC - (11) framed banners anchored to exterior of the building (non-illuminated).

Building CC is ESPN

SSG

Original Poster
SGN2019-00078Disneyland - SW - DL Frontierland Expansion - Bldg 10020 - Installation (1) illuminated interior wall/blade signs reads "Restrooms" and (2) non-illuminated ceiling signs reads "Enter Here" and "Building Registration"
SGN2019-00079Disneyland - SW - Frontierland Expansion - (2) illuminated free standing directional signs located in area development.

Darkbeer1

The City makes them get permits for everything! I wonder how much the permit is for installing illuminated signs.

The City's Building Department fees are on the low end of the county, mainly due to volume. We also get 24 hour response times for inspections for most matters. This is due to the volume thanks to the Resort Area, and is a nice perk for the residents.

So around $1,000 is my guess.

DanielBB8

The City makes them get permits for everything! I wonder how much the permit is for installing illuminated signs.
Almost like an honor system. A local resident can get away without a permit for small projects. A business is subject to laws, regulation, and liability. If unpermitted, they can be shutdown.

Darkbeer1

Almost like an honor system. A local resident can get away without a permit for small projects. A business is subject to laws, regulation, and liability. If unpermitted, they can be shutdown.
I have gotten multiple permits for my house. Every one related to either projects with an electrical or gas component. And very happy to make sure those were correctly installed. A permit is like a second opinion, and a quality control inspector.

Went to pull a permit on a brick wall fence repair, and found out the project was exempt due to the small size of the project.

My fees were between $120 to about $400, depending on the specific project.

EDITED TO ADD: Drawing permits also protects my Property Insurance, as improper modifications could result in a refused claim.

Last edited:

SSG

Original Poster
For a business like Disneyland, permit fees are a constant. There are permit fees for signage, plumbing, electrical and mechanical work, and all sorts of other things. There are building fees for new construction and remodel fees for changing something around. The cost varies depending on the complexity of the job. Moving an electrical outlet might be a $40 fee, while installing an illuminated sign is $375. New construction is based on square footage, so these run to tens of thousands. It just depends on the job.

Last edited:

SSG

Original Poster
how much to install Giant Jessie statue with rope and cactus?

big brother pop GIF by Big Brother After Dark

Darkbeer1

At tonight's City Council Meeting, one of the weirdest ones I have ever attended, a permit related issue came up.

First off, while in California Marijuana is legal, it has a lot of regulations. One requires the city approves the sale in its limits. Anaheim has not yet done so.

A Gentleman from KW Reality (I think) spoke during general public comments. They own the strip mall behind the Farmer Boys Restaurant at Lincoln and Dale in West Anaheim, one block north of Dale Junior High. They signed a lease with someone who wanted to sell Salon Chairs. Well, right after the lease was signed, instead of moving into the storefront to sell chairs, they sublet the space to an illegal marijuana dispensary. Illegal as not registered with the state, does not pay taxes, and does not submit the products for third party testing.

The dispensary immediately installed solar panels on the roof (no building permits nor permission of the landlord), installed security doors with no keys provided to the landlord and brought in their own security guards. The Solar Panels are there for when the Anaheim Police Department (APD) completes its case, does all the required reports, and the city attorney approves the report. At that time, the city can order Public Utilities to shut off the power and water. So the dispensary can still operate and break the law with the panels and bottled water. (The city of Los Angeles also can do this since they run LADWP (Department of Water and Power), most cities can't since a third party provides the services, such as PG&E.

Within 3 days the Landlord contacted APD, who then referred it to Vice, filed a 3 day notice to vacate the premises to the tenant and sub-tenant, and contacted Code Enforcement. The tenants lawyer is delaying issues as much as possible, and it is expected to take 6 to 7 months to evict. Code enforcement came, inspected and found that yes, the solar panels and other items were illegally done, and gave notice to the landlord that it is subject to a $1,000 a day fine until the items are removed from the property, something they can't do without a court order. A Catch-22. So he was requesting help from the council....

Now, why is the Solar Panels such an issue, the first is Safety, as they have no safety shut-offs, so if the main grid power goes off, the Solar system could feed back into the grid, and could give someone an unexpected nasty shock. And it could cause problems in the building. A short could start a fire, which would damage the property, or worse injure/kill folks.

So having a Disneyland sign inspected to make sure it is property wired and grounded is important to everyone, including CM's and guests. If something bad happened, Disney would be open to lawsuits. So spending a few bucks is a very wise investment in the scheme of things.

Same with a personal residence. My Solar System has multiple cut offs, a special main panel, and multiple red signs to let everyone know what each box does.

And please, do not debate Marijuana in this thread. The info was posted to discuss building permits, and that it was a weird story, and how the Landlord is being punished for doing the right thing (reporting it to Code Enforcement).

SSG

Original Poster
BLD2019-01366TDA A - Auditorium Flex Space - Tenant Improvement: Pour new level concrete slab with new flooring to lavel over existing slope concrete slab on grade to auditorium seating

DanielBB8

A permit for Philharmonic? Interesting it is referred to as flex space. Leveling over the slope to make it flat? Maybe it's the Bug's Theater.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom