Perks of Epcot resorts?

I_heart_Tigger

Original Poster
I'm doing a solo trip next year and in the early stages of planning. I'm hoping to spend a lot of time taking photos and was thinking an Epcot resort would be a good choice because of location.

Can anyone tell me if closing times for parks have gotten any stricter? Umpteen hundred years ago CM's generally didn't give a crap if you were wandering through the park when it closed, even an hour or two afterwards. Is this still the case?

I was thinking I could get some decent shots of Spaceship Earth and the pavilions when I head home for the night and with fewer guests in the shots. Also, I plan on doing some resort hopping and was wondering how late the monorail runs and if I can walk through Epcot after closing or if I would have to take a bus.

I'm hoping to not take busses too often which is why I'm leaning towards and Epcot resort...besides I love the monorail and the boat ride to the Studios.

Emyli Mouse

Epcot Perks

The monorail usually runs from 6am to 4am every day. You would have to take a bus because you can't walk through, as the other person stated. Being able to walk to Epcot from those resorts is so awesome! The Friendship boat service at the Yacht and Beach has been under refurbishment, but is scheduled to open this month. Taking advantage of late or early EMH would allow you to get some good pictures with less people in the shots. I'm pretty sure they open the gates in the World Showcase and let you walk through to Future World, so you should be able to get good shots then too. Have fun! :)

Mukta

On my last trip (Dec 2010), I stayed late at the MK and DHS. No CMs were ushering anyone out. I have stayed in the World Showcase an hour after closing before.

You won't be able to enter the International Gateway after closing. If you are still inside Epcot, you can exit through the front and take the monorail from there. Then you can take a bus home.

lebeau

On my last trip (Dec 2010), I stayed late at the MK and DHS. No CMs were ushering anyone out. I have stayed in the World Showcase an hour after closing before.

You won't be able to enter the International Gateway after closing. If you are still inside Epcot, you can exit through the front and take the monorail from there. Then you can take a bus home.

Last March we were chased out of DHS right after the American Idol finale. The cast member who did so was not remotely magical about it. There were two of them stationed at the exit and when we turned to walk towards the Chinese Theater I got a sharp "Where are you going?". When I explained, I was told the park was closed and we would have to leave.

My understanding is that this is rare, but just FYI it does happen.

ddbowdoin

the BC / YC and Boardwalk have one advantage from what I understand... busses are shared on a very limited basis. This past trip was my first time on property and the buses were great. We rarely waited and rarely had a packed bus. I always had a seat.

Mammymouse

We love staying at the Boardwalk. We are DVC and have stayed in all the other DVC's except Bay Lake Tower, and still like the Boardwalk the best. It is a short walk to EPCOT and then we can also walk to Hollywood Studios as well. There is nightlife, restaurants and snack stands on the Boardwalk itself, and all around the lake is another great stroll or you can rent the surrey bikes. The Swan, Dophin, Yatch Club and Beach Club are all right there too.

Edeyore

If you want photos of Epcot, with few people in them, take them when Illuminations is happening. You can also meander a bit on your way out. I actually was separated from my family watching Illuminations and was stuck on World Showcase. I went toward Mexico and they had opened the drawbridge. I had to walk all the way around the other way. Trust me at that time of night I was walking alone. (with my 4 year old on my shoulders.) Either way you should be able to get some good shots. Good Luck !

OklaHoops

Epcot resorts

The Epcot resorts are easily the best. You have access to 2 parks by foot, 2 parks by boat, 1 park by monorail, and 2 parks by bus. No other area has that advantage. If cost is an issue the Swan and Dolphin are great alternatives to Yacht and Beach or Boardwalk.:animwink:

lilclerk

You can get some awesome shots of the right side of World Showcase in the early morning when you enter through the International Gateway.

I_heart_Tigger

Original Poster
Thanks for all the tips. I'm leaning towards Boardwalk right now but cost may be an issue so I might have a look at the Swan and Dolphin...it's pretty expensive when staying on my own.

I have some time to scrape up the cash...i just have to stop buying more camera gear until I get the trip paid for :lol:

dreamfinder

It really depends on how you are, and how the CM's that given night are. As a PP said, you won't be allowed to enter the park after closing time. At the posted closing time, the entrance gates will close, and the ride queues will close. The major stores should stay open for an hour after that (I think) and the restaurants until the guests finish eating.
And depending on the park, and your location at close they may not let you progress further backwards into the park. After a reasonable amount of time, CM's will start clearing the park from the furthest reachable location. They will progress forward making sure all guests are out of that area. If they encounter a guest, they typically won't force them to leave, but will not let them go past them back into the park. As they progress forwards the CM's from each individual area clear those and then join the march towards the exit. Easy one to think of is Epcot. They will usually let you hang out pretty late due to all the restaurants in WS. But that at some point, CM's will say start in the American Adventure. They will ensure that no guests are hiding in the pavilion, and them some will start walking in each direction around the lagoon. As they come to each new country CM's from that country will have cleared it of guests, and then they all progress forwards. Next country, and so on. Once they get you to the front of the lagoon, I believe that CM's will have cleared each side of Future world, so you would get funneled out between the two innoventions buildings.
Now if you were staying in the Epcot resorts, and went from America towards Mexico, they may not let you out the International Gateway. All depends on how fast that side is clearing as well. You may end up having to go out the front and around.
If you are polite to the CM's, and remember that many of them are waiting for you to leave so they can go home at the end of their shift, they may give you a bit of wiggle room and let you set up some extra shots. Know in advance what you want to shoot so you aren't dwadling and you should be ok.

Banksy

They usually are patient with people who are already in the park and are taking their time leaving, but i think it would be polite if you left when the majority start to go,

Just be conscientious of the fact that some of the cast members may have finised work and can't leave until everyones out. :animwink:

allgar

The Epcot resorts are easily the best. You have access to 2 parks by foot, 2 parks by boat, 1 park by monorail, and 2 parks by bus. No other area has that advantage. If cost is an issue the Swan and Dolphin are great alternatives to Yacht and Beach or Boardwalk.:animwink:

hey there, i was hoping you could elaborate for me.

the 2 parks by foot - I know one of them is Epcot, is the other a "long" walk to DHS? I presume it's the same two for the boats?

What is the park you can reach by monoroail and where / how do you get it? I stayed at Boardwalk last November but don't remember seeing a monorail.

We did take a bus to MK once though and it wasn't too bad. i'm not one much for the buses, but love the monorail and boats. I presume we could also have taken a bus to AK.

I_heart_Tigger

Original Poster
My main plan was to watch the fireworks then take the long way back to the IG...ie Mexico-France. Waiting a bit for crowds to thin so I'm not swimming upstream. I shouldn't be in the praks more than 30-45min after closing so I'll make sure not to put any CM's out by overstaying my welcome.

btw...^^^^^ you can walk through Epcot and get the monorail to MK...that's the monorail resort :)

OklaHoops

REPLY to Allgar (sorry For the slow reply).

the 2 parks by foot - I know one of them is Epcot, is the other a "long" walk to DHS? I presume it's the same two for the boats? Epcot and DHS.

REPLY: We have walked both and it is not a bad walk (unless it is August).

What is the park you can reach by monorail and where / how do you get it? I stayed at Boardwalk last November but don't remember seeing a monorail.

REPLY: Advantage EPCOT. Enter through EPCOT and you can catch the monorail to the Magic Kingdom (actually TTA).

We did take a bus to MK once though and it wasn't too bad. i'm not one much for the buses, but love the monorail and boats. I presume we could also have taken a bus to AK.

REPLY: All EPCOT resorts have buses for Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom and Downtown Disney (including the water parks).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom