Perks being reduced for some CMs

AEfx

You might be overestimating how many CM's actually use their maingates on a regular enough basis to affect crowds...I just think it'd be if nice after a long day's work, the workers would be able to go in and enjoy the park if they wanted to.

Yeah, that's definitely true - the last thing many of the cast members want to do is "come to work" on their days off. Most I know only come when they have guests visiting in town and they use their maingates.

AEfx

With the multitudes of paying guests that go to Disney parks throughout the year and the millions that Disney makes off of those guests, I'm sure they could afford to allow CM's to get in for free and bring in a small number of family members.
....But Disney is a flawless organization and they do everything right. There is no reason to correct them because every decision they make is fair and sound.

I think it's pretty fair. The CM has nearly the equivalent of an AP, and the maingate passes are actually decently generous when you consider you can bring in 3 folks at a time.

There has to be a balance, because you know that if Maingates were unlimited (a CM can bring 3 people in every day) there would be those who would get a part time job to get the perk and then abuse it (selling off visits, etc.).

hopemax

I watched someone try to use a "maingate" last month in front of me. She didn't know the name of the CM, it was given to her third party so obviously there was no CM to meet her at the gate. Suspicious. She was denied entry.

Coming to this thread late, but...

Was this at park opening or later in the day?

While CM's do have to be present to activate the guest pass, IF the guest park hops AND they are considered immediate family or in the presence of someone who is immediate family (there is a list of who qualifies), the CM does not have to be present for any re-entries. It is allowed for a CM to come to the gate, in costume to sign someone in, go to work, while the family member does their thing, for example as why this is allowed.

It is still suspicious that the person did not know the name of the CM, and a CM was probably inappropriately using their guest passes. But I did want to explain how someone could be using a guest pass, without a CM present.

BwanaBob

I can confirm that Maingates are still on the seasonal; I had to ask around myself about this at WDW last week on what still is included. Things changed slightly in terms of discounts {1 year = 10% off, 2 years = 10-25% off, 3 years =25-35% off} Food is always 20% off regardless from what I was told.

All blockout dates apply as far as I know. Unless you're working on those dates directly
Where is "food 20% off regardless?"
There is no regular discount on F&B.

hopemax

Speaking of the parks, didn't we used to receive discounts on some QS places? I remember getting a discount at Casey's Corner quite often during my CP back in 2012. Tried to use it earlier this year and was told "Nope, we don't do that here."

If a place doesn't have a sit down restaurant you could use it at QS. So at AK, you could use it, and food courts of value resorts and French Quarter.

Disneyland is nice, you can use it at QS there.

TheGhostWithTheMost

Please. I've worked at the mouse and at universal. I hate to compare... buuuut... Disney treats its workers liar garbage compared to how Universal treats theres.
A few examples:
1) Food: Universal offers discounts on all food in park to its team members. Disney does not at all offer food discounts 99% of the time. Even the coupons that Disney give their it's cast as a christmas gift can only be used under VERY SPECIFIC circumstances and only at VERY SPECIFIC restaurants. NOT TO MENTION, in Universals team member cafeterias meals (including entry, side, a drink, and a desert) will usually run you less than $5. For a basic meal (no drink, no desert) at Disney cast cafeterias... it's about $9.

2). Perks: Universal has better discounts for it's team members. Universal gives each team member a flipping turkey for thanksgiving. Universal starts you out at a 35% discount on merch with a 50% for Christmas. Disney gives you a fifty cent plastic christmas ornament for the holidays. You have to work three years at Disney to get a 35% discount of merch and you only get 40% off at Christmas.

3). General treatment of Employees: Universal treats you as much more human than Disney does. Disney is well known for the low moral of their works because of the way that Disney treats its workers. Universal is a complete 180.

So, Disney taking away Main Gates from workers is not surprising. They screwed over Seasonal Cast already last year already. Basically, after a college program there was always an option for those cast to go seasonal (and then part time or full time as slots opened up). Well, Disney told a group of college program kids that they could remain seasonal so a bunch of them signed leases to stay in Orlando. Then, TWO DAYS BEFORE THEIR PROGRAM WAS OVER, Disney changed the rules and did (essentially) did away with "going Seasonal." So all those hard working people were SOL.

Disney World treats its hard working cast like garbage. Just like Disney World now treats its guests like garbage by raising prices BUT maintaining the parks like garbage.

BigThunderMatt

I believe the previous poster is referring to the 20% dining discount we can receive at select resort locations and the TS locations in the parks.

You mean the 2% discount after automatic 18% gratuity based on the pre-discounted price of the bill? Which also pretty much guarantees crap service since the server knows they're gonna get a tip regardless?

You know what's funny is that Disneyland AND California Adventure give a discount on quick service and both parks have table service locations but to even USE it at a table service location in a park at WDW it has to be the 4th full moon of autumn on a Tuesday at precisely 8:46pm and your party can be no more than 6.5 people (I jest but seriously the guidelines for even being able to use the discount have gotten so ridiculous it's almost not worth it).

I seriously don't get why Disney is so stingy on their quick service. It's impossible to get a discount there, even Annual Passholders don't get a discount (meanwhile, Premier AP's at Universal get 20% off and their employees get 20-35% off I can't really remember off the top of my head). I get that neither full or quick service is hurting for revenue but I feel like if I stuck a piece of coal up Disney's collective butt it would come out a diamond.

Last edited:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
You mean the 2% discount after automatic 18% gratuity based on the pre-discounted price of the bill? Which also pretty much guarantees crap service since the server knows they're gonna get a tip regardless?

If you're worried about service, just wait until the end of the meal to tell them you're a CM.

You know what's funny is that Disneyland AND California Adventure give a discount on quick service and both parks have table service locations but to even USE it at a table service location in a park at WDW it has to be the 4th full moon of autumn on a Tuesday at precisely 8:46pm and your party can be no more than 6.5 people (I jest but seriously the guidelines for even being able to use the discount have gotten so ridiculous it's almost not worth it).

That is a bit of an exaggeration. Getting the 20% discount is not that difficult, especially since Disney releases the list of restaurants where this is offered as well as any time restrictions well in advance.

BigThunderMatt

That is a bit of an exaggeration. Getting the 20% discount is not that difficult, especially since Disney releases the list of restaurants where this is offered as well as any time restrictions well in advance.

I did say it was a jest. But in reality, many of the times, and places are simply not practical at all. Magic Kingdom's are a complete joke and Epcot has so many rules in place based on each specific restaurant it's impossible to keep track. Let's not even get started on block out dates. Which they don't ACTIVELY publish for the 20% off (they're there, you have to find them though), but love to spring on you. This isn't to say I haven't had exceptions made. But you're more likely to get that at the resort restaurants where they're a little more lax than at the parks, particularly Epcot. Also, I'm speaking as a former, not current CM.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I did say it was a jest. But in reality, many of the times, and places are simply not practical at all. Magic Kingdom's are a complete joke and Epcot has so many rules in place based on each specific restaurant it's impossible to keep track. Let's not even get started on block out dates. Which they don't ACTIVELY publish for the 20% off (they're there, you have to find them though), but love to spring on you. This isn't to say I haven't had exceptions made. But you're more likely to get that at the resort restaurants where they're a little more lax than at the parks, particularly Epcot. Also, I'm speaking as a former, not current CM.

Sorry, missed the line where you said it was a bit of a jest. But yeah, MK is the most challenging with the time restrictions and Epcot has the restaurant participation limitations as you mentioned. No denying that.

BigThunderMatt

3). General treatment of Employees: Universal treats you as much more human than Disney does. Disney is well known for the low moral of their works because of the way that Disney treats its workers. Universal is a complete 180.

Except for the part where "overtime" is a taboo word at Universal and they will literally go into full-on panic mode if you even have a chance of going into it (and that you have to work more than ten hours in a day to even be eligible for it). And let's not forget how they can pretty much fire anyone at any time for any reason unlike Disney where at least you are afforded union protection if you are full or part time.

Universal may offer more perks than Disney at first glance, but unlike Disney, Universal does not have their act together as a company once you get down into the actual goings-on behind the scenes. You ask three people the same thing there, you'll get three different answers. They don't know how to deal with large crowd scenarios and have no idea what a contingency plan is. All the perks in the world will not fix the fact that it is a poorly run company with through the roof drama and some of the most miserable human beings to have ever existed running the show.

JoeCamel

Except for the part where "overtime" is a taboo word at Universal and they will literally go into full-on panic mode if you even have a chance of going into it (and that you have to work more than ten hours in a day to even be eligible for it). And let's not forget how they can pretty much fire anyone at any time for any reason unlike Disney where at least you are afforded union protection if you are full or part time.

Universal may offer more perks than Disney at first glance, but unlike Disney, Universal does not have their act together as a company once you get down into the actual goings-on behind the scenes. You ask three people the same thing there, you'll get three different answers. They don't know how to deal with large crowd scenarios and have no idea what a contingency plan is. All the perks in the world will not fix the fact that it is a poorly run company with through the roof drama and some of the most miserable human beings to have ever existed running the show.

Bottom line is if you are a front line TM/CM you are not going to end up running the park - those days are long past. It is a service level job and if you think you will raise a family and buy a house on the wages available you need to go stand in line with the people over at MickeyD's that think they should be getting $15 per hour to sling dollar meals. If you want the thrill of working in a park and swallow the line that you are in the show then it might be for you but if you want to have a career then go to school or learn a trade. Unskilled labor is just that and no matter how heinous the treatment by the company you always have the option to vote with your feet.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Bottom line is if you are a front line TM/CM you are not going to end up running the park - those days are long past. It is a service level job and if you think you will raise a family and buy a house on the wages available you need to go stand in line with the people over at MickeyD's that think they should be getting $15 per hour to sling dollar meals. If you want the thrill of working in a park and swallow the line that you are in the show then it might be for you but if you want to have a career then go to school or learn a trade. Unskilled labor is just that and no matter how heinous the treatment by the company you always have the option to vote with your feet.

What exactly are you responding to? Perks or just wages in general?

JoeCamel

All of it, you are upset they cut perks on a service job and expect ethical treatment from this company because you have union coverage in an at will state? Get real this is a lark not a career, will never support you for the long run. It will resign you to living in warrens rather than buying security, living the dream is not the path to a full life.

If you want to do it and understand what you are buying into but please don't whine about how you are treated when you accept the conditions and wages you bought into when you accept the job. Either do it or leave, the company will not operate to please you.

Lose the dust, it is a low paying job and expecting to be treated like you are valuable is just a daydream.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The issue here is at one time under both Card Walker and Eisner being a Disney CM was a lower middle class job and Disney paid far above minimum wage. You were never going to become rich but you could have a nice apartment or a small house and a car and put a bit aside for retirement.

Now it's a bloody race to the bottom complete with company towns and the modern equivalent of indentured servitude ie the H1B and H2B visa programs.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
All of it, you are upset they cut perks on a service job and expect ethical treatment from this company because you have union coverage in an at will state? Get real this is a lark not a career, will never support you for the long run. It will resign you to living in warrens rather than buying security, living the dream is not the path to a full life.

If you want to do it and understand what you are buying into but please don't whine about how you are treated when you accept the conditions and wages you bought into when you accept the job. Either do it or leave, the company will not operate to please you.

I thought it was stated on page 1 that no perks have been really cut at all. I'm not upset about anything. I'm not a CM.

On a side note, one thing to keep in mind that the perks most are referring to are not just offered to WDW CMs but to all CMs of the Walt Disney company, including manager level CMs.

TheGhostWithTheMost

One of the most disgustingly ignorant comments I've ever read.
Do you want to pay for me to go to school? I'd love for you to hand me a half a millions dollars for it. ANYONE working full time ANYWHERE should make enough to survive. Period.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Why don't you get over your elitist self? I don't see why you have such a problem with us voicing a little angst at the chipping away of perks here and there. How does it affect your life? Hint: it doesn't. If it bothers you so much, get out. I am so sick of the constant "hate" the CMs get on this board.

From what I see, most on this forum seem to defend CMs rather than show constant "hate".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom