Performer falls 30ft at La Nouba

Tracks N Slabs

There are cast that are trained as first responders in the event of an accident during the show. I was not at La Nouba so I can not speak for this event, but was in Tampa several years ago when an artist fell during Quidam. The act was similar to the silk act at La Nouba and featured 4 aerial artists, 4 ground swingers and the guitar player. When the artist fell, the person holding the rope went to her right away, and then the guitar player went too. While you would never know until an accident happens, but the guitar player is actually a spotter and the first responder during that act. He made sure she was stable (concious & breathing etc.), before signaling to the techs to alert the onsite medics.

I also believe that the "clowns" that would have brought out the strecther are actually Le Cons, the four artists in the white. They are on stage for most acts and serve as the spotter/first responders as needed. I don't believe that the "clowns" brought the stretcher out in a show must go on fashion, but in the correct medical fashion. And actually several of the Le Cons have State of Florida EMT certifications.

Spot

Thank you

At the cirquetribune.com forums someone is reporting that she is in the hospital doing well and in good spirits.

They are also reporting that the part of the rigging that failed was the belt, which is attached by the performer as part of the costume.

I can't confirm either of these, other than there was a human error with the rigging, but most of the people on that site are extremely knowledgeable.

Thank you I will continue to keep her in my prayers!!!

diddy_mouse

My thoughts are definitely with her and I hope she makes a speedy recovery. She is a very talented performer and hopefully she'll be able to return to La Nouba.

BWill

Night of Fall

I was there with my daughter when she fell. It certainly looked more than a 15ft fall, I would say 25. Whatever the distance is from the floor to the first tightrope platform. I saw her in mid fall as a "gasp" could be heard from the audience. In any case, it did not seem real until she tried to raise one of her arms and I knew it was an actual person, then one of the performers came over to her. No one tried to move her until the show was halted and a stretcher was brought out. I believe they took every precaution necessary before moving her. Strangely enough my daughter and I both recall a "snap" noise being heard as though something gave that caused her to fall. I am glad to hear that she is stable, it could have been a lot worse.

Nemo14

I was there with my daughter when she fell. It certainly looked more than a 15ft fall, I would say 25. Whatever the distance is from the floor to the first tightrope platform. I saw her in mid fall as a "gasp" could be heard from the audience. In any case, it did not seem real until she tried to raise one of her arms and I knew it was an actual person, then one of the performers came over to her. No one tried to move her until the show was halted and a stretcher was brought out. I believe they took every precaution necessary before moving her. Strangely enough my daughter and I both recall a "snap" noise being heard as though something gave that caused her to fall. I am glad to hear that she is stable, it could have been a lot worse.
Wow - that must have been awful to witness!

maybe

Friday night La Nouba show

Hi-

I am so glad I was able to find this blog. Our family has been sick with worry over what we witnessed at the show Friday night. I thank GOD that woman is alive!
Here's what we witnessed at the 9pm show January 26th.

During the performance where the very handsome gentleman ties himself to the sashes with the four girls around of the corner of my eye.
The bird was three stories high- at least 25 feet up. She was midway through the fall when I turned my head and and at that point she let out a short and controlled yell, and hit the ground facing away from the stage . She obviously was trained how to fall because she landed on her side with her right arm outstretched to protect her head.

It was very frightening and everyone was horrified. I can't speak for all of the audience but I am certain that no one thought this was part of the show.
I think someone may have got that impression because there was virtually no reaction from the other performers. There was grave concern on the face of the handsome man who was by then on the ground and trying to wind up his part. The ballerina then approached to stroke her hair and then about a minute later a man out of costume came out to see her and the "le cons" then got busy getting the strecher ready.

At that point my children were terrified and asked me to take them out but my husband stayed and he said that Natasha , while on the stretcher, moved her arm as if she was trying to hold it to her head.

My children were terrified to go back in but a woman who appeared to be the concessions manager- said that she was ok - I am sure she was trying to calm the children- and that the clowns are trained EMT's . I asked her how high she fell from and she said the third story of the tower.

The announcer stated there would be a short intermission due to technical difficulties when they were attending to her- and I wish they had just said that there was going to be a pause in the show. Clearly the difficulties were not "technical" but I don't judge them - as I am sure they were just trying to
handle a worst case scenario the best they could.

After she was taken away they resumed the show which was sad without her, and clearly the other performers were worried.

Please keep this woman in your prayers for a very long time- she will need them.......what a brave woman.

RREngineer

Perhaps the clowns are trained EMT's ?!

Yes this is the case. As mentioned by another poster, the Le Cons are the "First responders" and 2 of them are State Licensed EMT's. There are several artists that perform in the show that are EMT trained as well as some of the techs and stage managers. The cast is trained what to do in a situation like this so that there is not chaos on the stage. All artists that are not "first responders" are to leave the stage as quickly as possible so that they are not in the way. The spotters will check to make sure that the injured artist is ok and the first responders/EMT cast will come out to asess the injuries and take the inital steps necessary while waiting on the local EMT's/ambulance to arrive.

I too was at the touring show in Tampa (Quidam) when the rigging broke and the artist fell. The situation was taken care of with such order that until they actually brought the stretcher out some people didn't even realize what happened. The artists know their place and Cirque takes a lot of precautions and training time to make sure that they have the proper first response team available.

Also I wanted to mention that Natasha is in stable condition and she is doing as well as can be expected. She will be out for awhile, but don't write her off yet, she is a very determined person (as you can read from her credits in a previous post) I have no doubt that she will be back as soon as she can!

gcurling

I apologize, it is closer to 30 feet. She does perform that cue from the high wire platform. I, too, was at the show - but watching from the booth above on the opposite side of the "tent".

"maybe"'s description is accurate. Natalya, who portrays the Lost Ballerina was the first to get to Natasha. Two of the Les Cons along with a tech responded next. Andrei Shishkin (the Pierrot Clown - the other dancer) brought out the stretcher.

The fifth Silks girl (the one who performs at the beginning of the act, but not during the duration) stood in her long coat, spread so as to shield the audience's view.

I am fairly certain the "techinical difficulties" statement was a recording.

I did not hear the "snap", but the person who was with me did. Up in the booth, you do not hear much from the audience, mostly the sounds captured by the microphones in the music towers. So, in order for him to hear it, it must have been a very loud snap.

I was focused on Yuri (referenced earlier by maybe as the "handsome gentleman") so I did not see her fall. I looked that way when I heard her strike the stage. She wasn't moving at all, so for a very brief second I thought "what is that on the stage?", knowing of course that nothing is supposed to be there. Then, just as quickly I thought "oh my god, that's Natasha". I was a numbing feeling. Just horrible. I felt so bad for her.

I spoke with a couple of cast members and techs right after the show and they indicated that Natasha had feeling and movement in all extremities and was even making jokes as she was heading for the helicopter. I didn't stay because the mood was very emotional and the last thing they needed was me in the way.

If I get any additional news, I'll let everyone know how Natasha is doing. She was described by one cast member as a "strong girl" who will recover quickly. Let's all hope that she can, and even return to her role that she plays with such skill and passion.

Connor002

Terrible news, but the lack of more accidents does act as testament to the ability and talent of this cast. My sincerest hopes for the performer's recovery are offered.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
All the current promotional information actually has Natasha on it. The two pictures that are in previous posts on this thread showing the bird are Natasha. You are correct, Elena Day was the original "Green Bird", she actually left Cirque when she left La Nouba, to pursue other ventures.

My prayers to Tash and her family!

Thanks for the clarification!! I haven't worked @ La Nouba since 2004 and a lot has changed cast-wise :wave:

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Not sure if this was already in place before the accident occured...

But all of the "Event" boards throughout Downtown Disney have the Cirque poster with the Bird on them - usually it's an advertisement for something else, like kids DJ parties, or the upcoming Pary Gras, or Valentines at PI.

So I kinda get the feeling they switched out all the posters..

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Not sure if this was already in place before the accident occured...

But all of the "Event" boards throughout Downtown Disney have the Cirque poster with the Bird on them - usually it's an advertisement for something else, like kids DJ parties, or the upcoming Pary Gras, or Valentines at PI.

So I kinda get the feeling they switched out all the posters..

Sounds like a nice tribute...

tigsmom

For those who subscribe to the "if I haven't seen it in print it didn't happen" thought process...from today's Orlando Sentinal...

Performer hurt during Cirque show

Christopher Boyd | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted January 30, 2007
ADVERTISEMENTS
spacer.gif

A performer in Cirque du Soleil's La Nouba show at Walt Disney World fell from an elevated platform during a Friday night show and was hospitalized in what a company spokeswoman said was the circus's first serious injury since it opened in Central Florida eight years ago.

The performer, who plays the character Green Bird, is recuperating and is expected to return to the show, Cirque du Soleil spokeswoman Aurelie Grand said.

"She is still being treated," said Grand, who wouldn't comment on the extent of the woman's injuries. She also refused to provide the performer's name.

"I am not allowed to give any details," said Grand, who wouldn't say how high the woman was above the stage.

"It was high enough," she said. Grand said the performer was wearing a safety harness and that the equipment didn't malfunction.

Christopher Boyd can be reached at 407-420-5723 or cboyd@orlandosentinel.com.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom