Performance Rights to Park Music?

SDav10495

Original Poster
So...I'm sitting here in my student center listening to two competing pieces--"Illuminations: RoE" on my iPod and something being played in a nearby room by our wind ensemble. And the thought occurred to me--has Disney ever made the performance rights available to music written for its theme parks, and could it ever happen? It would be pretty neat to hear other orchestras play a piece as thrilling as "I:RoE" and to have that piece perhaps enter the canon of legitimate music. It's a fantastic orchestral composition, fireworks or no.

Is this just wishful thinking? I know they've allowed the existing recording of "I:RoE" to accompany ABC's inauguration coverage in the past, which is different of course, but who knows...

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Can't say I know, but I would assume that it would be allowed if you go through the proper steps. I'm a music ed major right now, and I fully plan on doing a marching band show based off of the park music some day.

SDav10495

Original Poster
Ahhh...I'm not involved in any musical group on campus and would have no say in anything my school decided to perform, but just knowing that an arrangement is out there puts a huge smile on my face. :D Thank you both! I guess I've just started thinking more and more about the "afterlife" of RoE now that SkyDance rumors have picked up...

totben

The Cadets Drum and Bugle Corps Played "Millennium Celebration" (the name of the music in ROE) in 2000,
Heres the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt-1BqQcD3E
The start of the show is chopped off but the rest is there. Was a really good show. As is Most Drum Corps.

As a Side note, DCI (Drum Corps International) Is sponsored by Disney, Anyone remember the "marching band" from a few years ago that had a ton of different uniforms Thats was The DCI honor corps made up of members from most of the competing DCI corps.

Mr.EPCOT

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to see a "Music of EPCOT Symphony" exhibition. Just think about it:
  • We've Just Begun to Dream
  • Main Entrance Medley
  • Spaceship Earth:
    v2.0 (Tomorrow's Child!)
    v3.0
    v4.0 (by Bruce Broughton)
  • Universe of Energy:
    Energy (You Make the World Go 'Round)
    Universe of Energy
    Ellen's Energy Adventure
  • Horizons:
    New Horizons
    Space
    Heck, just about the entire score!
  • Mission: SPACE
  • It's Fun to Be Free
  • Journey Into Imagination:
    One Little Spark
    Makin' Memories
    Magic Journeys
    We Are Here to Change the World
    Imagination Institute Theme
  • The Land:
    Listen to the Land
    Veggie Veggie Fruit Fruit
    Soarin'
  • The Living Seas
  • El Rio del Tiempo
  • Reflections of China
  • Golden Dream
  • O, Canada
  • Tapestry of Nations
  • Celebrate the Future Hand in Hand
  • Tapestry of Dreams/Suite of Dreams - Discovery
  • llumiNations:
    Original
    Reflections of Earth
    We Go On
    Promise

So...I'm sitting here in my student center listening to two competing pieces--"Illuminations: RoE" on my iPod and something being played in a nearby room by our wind ensemble. And the thought occurred to me--has Disney ever made the performance rights available to music written for its theme parks, and could it ever happen? It would be pretty neat to hear other orchestras play a piece as thrilling as "I:RoE" and to have that piece perhaps enter the canon of legitimate music. It's a fantastic orchestral composition, fireworks or no.

Is this just wishful thinking? I know they've allowed the existing recording of "I:RoE" to accompany ABC's inauguration coverage in the past, which is different of course, but who knows...

I went to the World Scout Jamboree last summer and they performed at one the shows "Promise" from the Millenium celebration and replaced 1000 years (millenium celebration) with 100 years ( centenary of scouting).

The Cadets Drum and Bugle Corps Played "Millennium Celebration" (the name of the music in ROE) in 2000,
Heres the link:
The start of the show is chopped off but the rest is there. Was a really good show. As is Most Drum Corps.

As a Side note, DCI (Drum Corps International) Is sponsored by Disney, Anyone remember the "marching band" from a few years ago that had a ton of different uniforms Thats was The DCI honor corps made up of members from most of the competing DCI corps.

That was an awesome show! Thanks for sharing :D

Donfan

I have heard "Golden Dream", the finale music to the American Adventure show from the American Pavillion in EPCOT, performed by a High School choir. I was really well done and many of the people in the audience had never heard it before.

TikiGod

Heres the link:

That was a great show and a great year for the Cadets! The drumline was amazing!

PaisleyMF

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to see a "Music of EPCOT Symphony" exhibition...

For the Happiest Homecoming on Earth (or for the rest of us, the Happiest Celebration on Earth) the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra performed a Concert called "The Happiest Music from the Happiest Place on Earth". And to start the second act they performed an Epcot Medley.

sillyspook13

I have that book!
I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to see a "Music of EPCOT Symphony" exhibition. Just think about it:
  • We've Just Begun to Dream
  • Main Entrance Medley
  • Spaceship Earth:
    v2.0 (Tomorrow's Child!)
    v3.0
    v4.0 (by Bruce Broughton)
  • Universe of Energy:
    Energy (You Make the World Go 'Round)
    Universe of Energy
    Ellen's Energy Adventure
  • Horizons:
    New Horizons
    Space
    Heck, the just about the entire score!
  • Mission: SPACE
  • It's Fun to Be Free
  • Journey Into Imagination:
    One Little Spark
    Makin' Memories
    Magic Journeys
    We Are Here to Change the World
    Imagination Institute Theme
  • The Land:
    Listen to the Land
    Veggie Veggie Fruit Fruit
    Soarin'
  • The Living Seas
  • El Rio del Tiempo
  • Reflections of China
  • Golden Dream
  • O, Canada
  • Tapestry of Nations
  • Celebrate the Future Hand in Hand
  • Tapestry of Dreams/Suite of Dreams - Discovery
  • llumiNations:
    Original
    Reflections of Earth
    We Go On
    Promise
I think that would be an awesome choir/orchestra show!:)

Rob562

The arrangement of Reflections of Earth kind of stunk, but the fieldwork rocked!

Yeah, I admit that knowing what the original sounds like, it was defintely odd in some places.
Like the drum solos, while cool, were kinda thrown in there in a "we need a drum solo segment". And the ending sounded like they were running out of time and "oh crap, we need to get to the end of the music NOW!"

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom