PeoplemoverTTAs "Not Quite a Trip" Trip Report

Greetings and salutations! Thanks for dropping by. At the urging of some WDWMagic peeps over on Twitter, I have decided to share the story of my quick, “not quite a trip” trip. Here are the basic details of this trip...er...non-trip...well...you’ll see:

Dates: 4/11 - 4/17
Players: Me (31), my aunt (59) and my grandma (78)

That’s the basic rundown; here’s the rest: about 9 months ago, my cousin, a naval helicopter pilot, proposed to his girlfriend, a physical therapist. They were living in Jacksonville, FL, and planned on getting married in St. Augustine, FL. My grandma offered to pay for my trip if I would help take care of her (she uses a walker and mostly, a wheelchair at home and while traveling), and added that we wouldn’t go all the way down there without going to Orlando.

Here’s the thing, though: we planned no parks. Zip, zilch, nada.

Our family went to WDW back in August (here’s the long, sordid TR for your reading pleasure if you missed it the first time), so my grandma figured we didn’t need to visit any of the parks. So, we planned shopping, dining, and general merriment instead. I was initially okay with that, since I’m moving to Orlando in July anyway, but as the trip grew nearer, I started to wish we were going to one park...yeah, I’ll admit it.

We were staying in St. Augustine from 4/11 - 4/14, and we were in Orlando from 4/14-4/17. We flew into Orlando (of course).

Basic details of accommodations, etc:

St. Augustine: Holiday Inn Express St. Augustine North
Orlando: Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, Maingate at Calypso Cay Resort
Rental Car: Avis (My first time, as I previously used Alamo. I found a great rate online -- $175 for a small SUV for the entire week -- that was half the rate of subcompacts from Avis and every other major car rental company. Randomly found, awesome rate that saved my grandma over $200). The car itself was a 2011 Ford Explorer (I’ll even provide feedback on the car ;)).
Airline: Southwest, BUF->MCO

ADRs:

4/14 - Dinner: Kona Cafe
4/15 - Breakfast: Kona Cafe (I love it, but it’s my grandma’s favorite restaurant after I suggested it in August)
4/16 - Dinner: Raglan Road (first time)

Here is a warning to you: I didn’t get to take many pictures. Well, at least for me. I have plenty to share, and I’ll pick out my favorites, but when I took a weekend trip in October (here’s the TR, if you’re interested), I took something like 400 pictures in a day and a half in the parks. Sooooo, yeah, it's quite a few less than that :).

Other “perhaps pertinent” details:
I visited a client of mine on Monday, 4/16 (I’m a freelance copywriter) in Altamonte Springs. I also had to work one day on this trip (I chose a St. Augustine day - of course!)
I am not on a diet, but I have changed my eating and activity habits significantly since my last trip (down 30lbs since December, 60 overall). This affected how I ate...for part of the trip (my trainer totally gave me permission to enjoy myself!).

Okay, I think we are about ready to get this thing started. I’ll be back soon with details of day 1 (don’t worry, I’ll rush through the St. Augustine part...you’ll see why!). Stay tuned. We'll laugh, we'll cry, and we might even have a surprise or two :D

PeoplemoverTTA

Original Poster
Day 6 - Shopping and Eating (And Merriment!)

My last full day in Orlando for a few months wasn’t originally that exciting. It started off with a drive to Altamonte Springs to meet with a client of mine (a website design firm). I had printed out Google Maps directions before I left, and my aunt and grandma were happy to relax in the hotel during the day. They were pretty pooped from MK the day before!

The drive to Altamonte Springs was about 40 minutes according to Google Maps, and we were meeting at noon to talk about a new project and go out to lunch. So, I left at 11, figuring early is better than late. I was about 5 minutes from the end of the directions, feeling confident. I feel so much like a local. Oh yeah, like I already live here, look at me cruising the streets.

Then, when I was only one or two turns away from my destination, I saw a sign stating I was in Winter Park.

Wait, what? Winter Park?! I’m supposed to be in Altamonte Springs...

So, Google Maps automatically inserted my client’s old address into the directions. I was in the wrong place. So much for that “local” confidence!

I pulled out my iPhone, looked up the correct address, and used the Maps app to get me there. I pulled in literally at 12, on the dot! Had a great time meeting my client in person, had a nice lunch, and headed back to Kissimmee.

We decided that we’d do DTD more fully today, then head to the Boardwalk that night. A nice relaxing way to end the trip. First stop: dinner. At...

Raglan Road! It was my first time here, and I was very excited:
54752f6b.jpg

As a proud Irish girl (40%), I had to get one of these:
6080ac83.jpg

The inside of the restaurant was gorgeous, and I read the history and background on the menu. Just incredible!

At the recommendation of PartOfYourWorld (here’s your shoutout, Jess, lol), I suggested we all try the fish and chips:
460f110a.jpg

It was the most delicious order of fish and chips I have ever had in my life. Just outstanding. Awesome recommendation! My grandma and aunt agreed as well.

We also had tremendous service, and the live entertainment was starting as we were leaving. I made a mental note to definitely come here often when I become a local!

I’m such a smart aleck:
ec23a2a5.jpg

Not sure why I kept looking up in stores, but I should do it more often! Inside WoD:
684d7cad.jpg

They picked up so more gifts, while I pushed the chair and avoided tourists, lol. Then, we packed up the Explorer and headed to the Boardwalk. Did you know that handicapped cars get free valet parking at the BW? Even just for day visitors? We were very impressed, and tipped handsomely for the service.

My grandma wanted ice cream, so we each got ourselves some Edy’s and found a bench near Kouzzina (I really wanted to eat here this trip - it was one of my favorite meals in August). The night was gorgeous and comfortable, there was a street performer entertaining the crowd (and us). Just an awesome night. I decided to take some “garbage can” shots (where I put my camera in night shot mode and attempt to keep the camera steady enough for a decent shot, lol. such a pro!).

The result?
de37311f.jpg

54d49e34.jpg

I kind of like how the roses near the bench look in this one:
e1c46fe6.jpg

We headed for the BW shops before calling it a night, and while they were cashing out, I noticed another street performer through the window:
54f9f992.jpg

He was just getting onto his bike when we were leaving the store, and I had a cool little “only at Disney moment.”

I noticed we were just about lined up while I pushed my grandma and he rode his bike. Instinctively, I knew what to do. I turned and yelled, “On your mark!”

He replied, “Get set!”

And I pretended to race him with my 78-year old grandma. Disney magic :). He stopped us and made a few jokes that absolutely delighted her, and it was just a nice way to end the night. Gosh, I really do love the BW!

And with that, we headed back to the Country Inn & Suites.

Coming Up: There’s a little more Disney left in this trip, I tell ya!

PeoplemoverTTA

Original Poster
Day 7 - Leaving Orlando...For Now!

We slept in a bit and departed the Country Inn & Suites (great service, all around). Our flight left at 5ish, and I wanted to get there early because of crowds and all my grandma’s equipment (walker, wheelchair and oxygen), but we still had some time left.

So, we headed to our favorite resort, where we stayed in August:
55b4f3c5.jpg

I’ve stayed at POFQ three times, and it is by far my favorite resort. It was good to be “home,” if only for a little while. We stopped at Jackson Square for some shopping, and then we decided to have a lil snack:

83be68a0.jpg

Swoon. They are so amazingly good!

Then, before making our way to the airport, we made a pit stop, lol. I mention this because the lobby restroom was out of order (I find that restroom amusing because it has a fancy chain for flushing...you’re welcome). So, we found the restroom inside Sassagoula Floatworks. In three trips and countless visits to the food court, I never knew there was a restroom in there! It’s the little things that amuse me, folks :).

I couldn’t help myself - I noticed some cool details in that restroom:
b89e58b7.jpg

And with that, we headed for the airport. We went into the Universal store (had to get my cousin some Bertie Bott’s), and of course the WDW store (same old stuff, of course). And we had some food from Chick Fil A (we knew if we didnt eat then, we’d be starving by the time we got home at 7!).

I noticed this in the Universal store. Recognize it?
381af1c3.jpg

It’s the book Gru read to the girls in Despicable Me - so cool that they made a real book out of it! My sister is a school librarian, so I sent her the pic for amusement.

And that, WDWMagic friends, is the end of this odd, “not quite a trip” trip report. A couple things in closing:

* TSA at both airports, but especially Buffalo, was really awesome. I was nervous that they would hassle my grandma (she can’t lift her arms very high, so I was worried about the new machines), but the staff went above and beyond.
* Speaking of staff, the CMs at the resorts, MK, and especially the monorails (those poor CMs must have been groaning as we made our way around the loop, stopping at each hotel! But they were amazingly nice and seemed like they were happy to help us) were amazing. Just great service.

Now, I keep mentioning this, but I’m really excited for it. I’m heading back to Orlando June 21-24 to find an apartment, then I’m moving down in July (maybe the 15th, maybe the end of the month, depending on the situation with my new home). If I can get my driver’s license while I’m there, maybe I can get an AP and squeeze in some park time. Who knows?

After losing my mom last year, I was determined to make positive changes in my life. First, I started focusing on my health. It took awhile to build the habits, but since the winter I've been "full steam ahead," and I'm really happy (still have some more to go, though). Then, I focused on my career. I've been a full-time freelance copywriter for more than 4 months now, and I'm pleased to say that I'm finding great success. And now, this last step, moving to Orlando. It's something I've wanted to do for about 5 or 6 years. My mom wanted to come with me. She'll still be there with me, and I know that she'll be proud that I have accomplished these things I had talked about for so long. So while this trip was fun, and writing the TR was a good time, I think that's kind of what this is all about - taking the first step of my next adventure. So thanks to everyone for following along. I appreciate it. And I'll be sure to share more adventures as I take the next step with my move :wave:.

Mrs.Skellington

Really enjoyed reading your report. I lost my dad in 2004 not too long before we went to Disney. He was also suppose to come with us. That trip was very bittersweet. Now, Its weird but I kind of feel closer to him than ever when I am at the "World". So glad that you got to take your grandma. I love taking our older relatives with us. Its almost like taking children. My father in law is 82 and he was 78 when we brought him the first time. He fell in love with it and has been back 3 times going on 4 this November.

Loved your report. Can't wait until June and get another on?

PartOfYourWorld

I saw somewhere else on Twitter that you can take your phone to Guest Relations and they'll charge it for you. I wonder if that's true.

Btw, this must be the most boring TR ever, lol, but that's okay. I'm committed to it now!

I have a similar pillow that I bought around 2005 or so. It has retro graphics and says "Walt Disney World" in a postcard typeset. I love it! I'd like to get some of the new ones to fill out my collection, but all in due time, I guess (they'll probably be at the outlet in a few months anyway :D).

Seriously, I cannot stress enough that people here could spend HOURS in that place. It was a treasure trove! I will totally be visiting these stores more often once I'm down there.

My mom was really into pins (I told my sister she can have my mom's massive collection of 1500+ pins - she liked to wear them, she wasn't a "collector"), but I never really got into them, and while I like Vinylmations, I don't know if I'll really get into them. Still, the ones I bought were cute - and dirt cheap! They do trading for vinyls too, don't they? Might be fun to try that sometime.

I'll post some MK pics tonight, plus the last day (we finally went to Raglan Road, but I don't want to spoil my post, lol). Time to wrap this TR up and focus on June 21-24 (when I'm going down to find an apartment)!

Hmmm I think I remember that being mentioned before...guess one of us will have to try it out sometime!

And it is most certainly NOT boring! I love it!

Hey keep checkin the outlet you'll never know!!!!

Yes, they do trading vinyls. I just started getting into it when I was there in Feb, and I was lucky to get ones that I wanted! It's pretty fun. They have these blind boxes with 15/24 slots with a vinyl behind each one. You pick a number and your supposed to trade with whatever number you picked but there were a few CMs who let me slide and keep the one I had if I didn't like the one I picked. You can also pick from the three they have in the open box and do an open trade. I got lucky at the Art of Disney Store at DTD (they had the box with 24 vinyls) and at Dstreet, those were my lucky spots! If you ever buy a blind box and don't like what's inside I suggest you try trading!

I can't wait to hear about your apartment hunting!!!

And I remembered as soon as you said on your last day post about Raglan Road that I suggested Fish & Chips and then you mentioned it lol. I'm really glad you loved them!!!! Definitely the best Fish and Chips I've ever had as well.

And I LOOOOOVE POFQ too! When I saw your pic of the lobby I got all giddy and excited, since after staying there in Feb, that became my favorite resort. I love those bathrooms with the big fancy chain! Had a picture of it in my trip report! I think that my mom took, I thought those were some pretty awesome bathrooms.

You will also have to let us know about the new Fantasyland opening! Even though I am crossing my fingers that when I'm there in Nov/Dec they have soft openings of Be Our Guest Restaurant and The Little Mermaid ride <3 or perhaps may be already open..they did say Holidays 2012

So happy you decided to share your short trip with us!!! :sohappy:

miriamsolana

Thanks for sharing your fabulous trip and your lovely family. Your last thoughts made me cry a little! I'm sure your mom is super proud of all your acomplishments. Congratulations!! It's great you're moving to Orlando!

mamamouse

I loved this TR it';s great,I laughed alot reading it but the end made me cry can't wait to read the next one (oopsy ,good thing i caught myself ,I almost typed can't read to wait the next one LOL)

dkosdros

Great trip report. You made me laugh. It brought back memories of the first time I went to Disney my grandfather sat on the benches by the people mover right near where your grandmother was. When we went over head we looked down and he was laying on the bench all spraweled out. It looked like he passed away right then and there. We were so paniced and had to try to enjoy the rest of the ride. When we got off we rushed to him to find him snoring and asleep. It is funny now but was frightening at the time and I couldn't help chuckle seeing your grandma sleeping there too.

I want to wish you good luck on your adventure. I am so happy you are following through with what you have always wanted to do and i'm sure your mom is so proud of you. Especially for visiting her favorite place and taking on all those extra calories just for her. LOL. You have a great heart and that is so good to see still exists out there. You are a trooper pushing the wheel chair around so that you could create another everlasting memory with family. You will go far in life. Keep it up. You are an inspiration and i'm sure many around you look up to you. Take care.

PeoplemoverTTA

Original Poster
Really enjoyed reading your report. I lost my dad in 2004 not too long before we went to Disney. He was also suppose to come with us. That trip was very bittersweet. Now, Its weird but I kind of feel closer to him than ever when I am at the "World". So glad that you got to take your grandma. I love taking our older relatives with us. Its almost like taking children. My father in law is 82 and he was 78 when we brought him the first time. He fell in love with it and has been back 3 times going on 4 this November.

Loved your report. Can't wait until June and get another on?

Thanks, Mrs. Skellington! I'm sorry for the loss of your dad :(. I know exactly what you mean, though, about feeling closer to my mom while in WDW. I especially like riding HM, because I feel like she would find it hilarious that she's there with the rest of the 999 happy haunts :lol:

Hmmm I think I remember that being mentioned before...guess one of us will have to try it out sometime!

And it is most certainly NOT boring! I love it!

Hey keep checkin the outlet you'll never know!!!!

Yes, they do trading vinyls. I just started getting into it when I was there in Feb, and I was lucky to get ones that I wanted! It's pretty fun. They have these blind boxes with 15/24 slots with a vinyl behind each one. You pick a number and your supposed to trade with whatever number you picked but there were a few CMs who let me slide and keep the one I had if I didn't like the one I picked. You can also pick from the three they have in the open box and do an open trade. I got lucky at the Art of Disney Store at DTD (they had the box with 24 vinyls) and at Dstreet, those were my lucky spots! If you ever buy a blind box and don't like what's inside I suggest you try trading!

I can't wait to hear about your apartment hunting!!!

And I remembered as soon as you said on your last day post about Raglan Road that I suggested Fish & Chips and then you mentioned it lol. I'm really glad you loved them!!!! Definitely the best Fish and Chips I've ever had as well.

And I LOOOOOVE POFQ too! When I saw your pic of the lobby I got all giddy and excited, since after staying there in Feb, that became my favorite resort. I love those bathrooms with the big fancy chain! Had a picture of it in my trip report! I think that my mom took, I thought those were some pretty awesome bathrooms.

You will also have to let us know about the new Fantasyland opening! Even though I am crossing my fingers that when I'm there in Nov/Dec they have soft openings of Be Our Guest Restaurant and The Little Mermaid ride <3 or perhaps may be already open..they did say Holidays 2012

So happy you decided to share your short trip with us!!! :sohappy:

Thanks, Jess! I just realized that it's May 4. My sister's wedding is May 26, then less than 4 weeks later I am going down to find a place to live. It's really sinking in!

And thank you for acknowledging the cool bathrooms in the POFQ lobby. The chain is awesome. Just something about it :cool: I wonder why they're being refurbished (better keep the old-world charm!).

Vinylmation trading sounds awesome...I'm thinking I'll give it a shot next time. I'll buy a few more in the outlet, and then I'll set out on a trading adventure! Time to try some new things.

Oh, and I completely forgot - I got some SoTMK cards on my way out of MK! I can't believe I forgot to add that to my TR (d'oh!). My grandma and aunt had to stop on the way out, and I knew it would be awhile, so I went in to ask about it. The nice CM there signed me up and gave me my first cards (I got Flynn Rider, which made me happy :D). She also gave me a map and "trained" me, so that I'd know how to play. I am DEFINITELY going to give that a shot next time. So much to look forward to!

Thanks for sharing your fabulous trip and your lovely family. Your last thoughts made me cry a little! I'm sure your mom is super proud of all your acomplishments. Congratulations!! It's great you're moving to Orlando!

Hi miriamsolana, thanks for reading :wave: I'm sorry that I made you cry - I definitely don't want to be a downer! I'm at the point now where it's bittersweet but inspiring. I'm so excited for what lies ahead :)

I loved this TR it';s great,I laughed alot reading it but the end made me cry can't wait to read the next one (oopsy ,good thing i caught myself ,I almost typed can't read to wait the next one LOL)

Thanks, mama mouse! I promise - no more tears in my next TR!

Great trip report. You made me laugh. It brought back memories of the first time I went to Disney my grandfather sat on the benches by the people mover right near where your grandmother was. When we went over head we looked down and he was laying on the bench all spraweled out. It looked like he passed away right then and there. We were so paniced and had to try to enjoy the rest of the ride. When we got off we rushed to him to find him snoring and asleep. It is funny now but was frightening at the time and I couldn't help chuckle seeing your grandma sleeping there too.

I want to wish you good luck on your adventure. I am so happy you are following through with what you have always wanted to do and i'm sure your mom is so proud of you. Especially for visiting her favorite place and taking on all those extra calories just for her. LOL. You have a great heart and that is so good to see still exists out there. You are a trooper pushing the wheel chair around so that you could create another everlasting memory with family. You will go far in life. Keep it up. You are an inspiration and i'm sure many around you look up to you. Take care.

Lol, I love that story about your grandfather, dkosdros! Traveling with family is as good as it gets. I'm so grateful for the many trips I took with my mom, and the trips I've taken both as a child and adult with my aunt and grandma (plus my siblings, cousins, and my dad - so many great memories!).

I have to admit I got a little choked up reading your post. Thank you for your kind words - they mean a lot!

PolynesianPrincess

Yay!! So happy you decided to post this!! I've got bad Disney blues right now since getting back last night. Although this made me a little sad (I always get so bummed out te first week or so I'm home from vacation there) it made me smile cause you had such a good time with your family :)

The wedding location looked BEAUTIFUL! Nothing like an outside Florida wedding in the gorgeous sunshine!!

I love that you got to go to MK! That's my fav park! And when I passed Sleepy Hollow I immediately thought of you because you wrote about how much your mom loved it! We wanted to stop and get the Ice cream sandwiches but we didn't have time :(

And I totally love that you found a Disney outlet!! I need to get myself to one of those next time! I'm a sucker for Disney Merch (I'm in the process of redoing my whole kitchen in Mickey!) so I'm sure I could find some stuff there!! Ooohhhhhh this makes me excited to think about!! Lol

Kona Cafe breakfast = yum!! We ate breakfast there for the first time last Friday and it was very tasty!!

monkeysammich

Thank you for this. The sentimentality of it all was very pleasant... and it was very nice to see how devoted and patient you are with you family.

Cast aside any doubt in your mind... your mother is behind you every step of the way. Congratulations (and good luck) on your move and on your life changes.

You're an inspiration.

Gucci65

Great trip report!!!! My daughter and I stop in St. Augustine at that outlet every year on our way to our Daytona vacation. Love it! I always come out of there with a bag full of stuff.

Because of your report, I'm am going to make a reservation for breakfast at the Kona Cafe - it looked wonderful!

My daughter has been in Orlando since January with the Disney College Program (and LOVES it!!) and I have to say that when I was down there just last week I was thinking "wow, I know these roads so well now!!" So it was funny to read your post about being a local.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom