People who drive to WDW, how do you choose to get to the parks?

What is your transportation of choice?

• My vehicle

Votes: 60 48.0%
  • Taxi or Ride-Sharing (Uber, Lyft, Minnie Van)

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • WDW transportation

Votes: 59 47.2%
  • I walk everywhere because it's easier to catch Pokemon.

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters

sfbntpc

MK - TTC (my advice, take Uber to Contemporary and walk from there to MK)
AK - taxi drop off/pick up (to the right of the entrance)
Epcot - taxi drop off/pick up area (center of bus depot). There's a marker with dots, but it's hard to find.
HS - no clue now that the bus depot has moved.
Thank You!!! I knew you could not be dropped off close to MK and the Contemporary is a good way to avoid that.

eliza61nyc

For the most part we drive every where. I'm dvc so as of yet I don't have to pay parking fees. generally I'm at either the Beach club or Boardwalk so Epcot and HS are walking. every where else I drive.

NYC/Philly gal. I'm on a bus or train almost daily in my real life, absolutely don't want to spend it on a bus on vacation.

Goofyernmost

I just don't understand the desire to sacrifice some real nice stuff for the sake of saving a few minutes. What's the hurry to join the packed parks. At this point and since I started, I always take the ferry across Seven Seas to get to and from MK. It is a pleasant and scenic trip with The Poly, The Grand Floridian and The Contemporary as a backdrop of a pleasant ride across the Lagoon. At night with all the lights of MK and the Resorts reflecting off the water is a show in itself. I find it especially handy if I am going to park hop. I use my car so I can park in whatever location that I plan to be my final park of the day (either MK or Epcot) and use the Monorail to go between. If I'm going to end my day in Epcot, I will park there and take the Monorail to MK for whatever time I was planning there, then take it back to Epcot later in the day. I still ride the ferry over to MK simply because I love the scenery and the couple of extra minutes mean nothing. I'm there to take in the wonder that is WDW and that is what I do. I try to draw in every bit of whatever is available and that includes the ambiance. One of the highlights is standing at the bow of the ferry and watching as the Castle gets closer and closer.

OK, I'll admit that it is the small things that make WDW what it has been to me for the past 35 years. My favorite place to go and just leisurely take it all in. Sadly, at this point cost and life have jumped in the way of my experiencing it, at least for now. What possibly is cooler then the following view from the ferry.

CIMG0092.JPG

CIMG0090.JPG

eliza61nyc

I just don't understand the desire to sacrifice some real nice stuff for the sake of saving a few minutes. What's the hurry to join the packed parks. At this point and since I started, I always take the ferry across Seven Seas to get to and from MK. It is a pleasant and scenic trip with The Poly, The Grand Floridian and The Contemporary as a backdrop of a pleasant ride across the Lagoon. At night with all the lights of MK and the Resorts reflecting off the water is a show in itself. I find it especially handy if I am going to park hop. I use my car so I can park in whatever location that I plan to be my final park of the day (either MK or Epcot) and use the Monorail to go between. If I'm going to end my day in Epcot, I will park there and take the Monorail to MK for whatever time I was planning there, then take it back to Epcot later in the day. I still ride the ferry over to MK simply because I love the scenery and the couple of extra minutes mean nothing. I'm there to take in the wonder that is WDW and that is what I do. I try to draw in every bit of whatever is available and that includes the ambiance. One of the highlights is standing at the bow of the ferry and watching as the Castle gets closer and closer.

OK, I'll admit that it is the small things that make WDW what it has been to me for the past 35 years. My favorite place to go and just leisurely take it all in. Sadly, at this point cost and life have jumped in the way of my experiencing it, at least for now. What possibly is cooler then the following view from the ferry.

View attachment 325676
View attachment 325678

lovely pictures Goofy,
I admit when I stayed at Wilderness lodge I enjoyed taking the ferry over to MK.
And you are absolutely right, the little things in a trip often make them memorable.

All that said, lol I still prefer to drive, now I admit that one of the reasons we started driving is that when our boys were small taking the buses was torture (to me). trying to finagle my strollers and gear onto a crowded bus at night was enough for me to fall on a sword. :p

Next we started driving because outside of Epcot we prefer the resort restaurants or the ones at Disney springs to the places in MK, HS or AK so it's a lot easier getting to the resorts via car.

MAGICFLOP

I guess the poll went over me(or I'm over thinking it).. If I drive to the park, how do I drive Disney transportation?

Those of us that did drive there often, know driving includes sitting in traffic either coming or going, I-4 is legally considered a nightmare in 45 of the 48 contiguous states...

Goofyernmost

I guess the poll went over me(or I'm over thinking it).. If I drive to the park, how do I drive Disney transportation?

Those of us that did drive there often, know driving includes sitting in traffic either coming or going, I-4 is legally considered a nightmare in 45 of the 48 contiguous states...
I believe it meant if you drive to WDW once you are there do you use your car or those other options listed to get to the parks or generally around WDW property.

Nottamus

Here now....drove from NJ. I take the buses and boats all the time. It’s part of the vacation for me.

Even yesterday we waited for an Epcot bus in the AM for 40 minutes...still doesn’t make me want to drive

geekza

Original Poster

View attachment 325676
View attachment 325678
I'm with you. There's nothing like seeing the MK and the MK resorts from the ferry or monorail. It's purely nostalgia for me, but some of my fondest memories are of arriving at the MK by either the ferry or monorail. It truly felt like leaving the "real world" behind and taking a journey to someplace altogether "outside" of daily life. I'm torn on this trip because my wife has never been to WDW. I want her to have the same experience of arriving at the MK that I love so much, but, from what I understand, neither the monorail nor the ferries start leaving the TTC in the mornings until around 30 minutes before the park opens. With the heavy crowds I'm expecting, it would be a risk to get there in time. On the other hand, our first stop on our touring plan is Pirates, which isn't really one of the places that most people head toward at rope drop, so it isn't an absolute necessity for us to be on Main St. as soon as they open the gates. Nostalgia is going to win out on this one, methinks.

yaksplat

After spending 19 hours in the car from Western NY, I'm done with the car for a week until i drive back. I already paid for the transportation around the property. I might as well take advantage of it.

geekza

Original Poster
I really appreciate everyone's input on this thread. It's certainly not a cut-and-dried issue and everyone has made very valid arguments for their choices.

Goofyernmost

I'm with you. There's nothing like seeing the MK and the MK resorts from the ferry or monorail. It's purely nostalgia for me, but some of my fondest memories are of arriving at the MK by either the ferry or monorail. It truly felt like leaving the "real world" behind and taking a journey to someplace altogether "outside" of daily life. I'm torn on this trip because my wife has never been to WDW. I want her to have the same experience of arriving at the MK that I love so much, but, from what I understand, neither the monorail nor the ferries start leaving the TTC in the mornings until around 30 minutes before the park opens. With the heavy crowds I'm expecting, it would be a risk to get there in time. On the other hand, our first stop on our touring plan is Pirates, which isn't really one of the places that most people head toward at rope drop, so it isn't an absolute necessity for us to be on Main St. as soon as they open the gates. Nostalgia is going to win out on this one, methinks.
I have to admit that nostalgia is indeed the motivation for me. I have tried the direct bus experience once and it left a huge gap in my day. It didn't ruin it, but, it did keep me in the "something is missing" feeling all day long. Since then it's strictly the TTC and the ferry across. I take the Monorail for other things even if it is just a round trip ride. Is that 30 minute thing something new? If someone staying at the Poly or Grand Floridian has breakfast ADR's at MK, or the Keys to the Kingdom tour, do they have to take the small boats to get there regardless of the weather? That even applies to people that stay offsite. They can still have ADR's or have set up a tour. I haven't gone until after it opened for years now, so I am not there that early, I have no first hand knowledge.

geekza

Original Poster
I have to admit that nostalgia is indeed the motivation for me. I have tried the direct bus experience once and it left a huge gap in my day. It didn't ruin it, but, it did keep me in the "something is missing" feeling all day long. Since then it's strictly the TTC and the ferry across. I take the Monorail for other things even if it is just a round trip ride. Is that 30 minute thing something new? If someone staying at the Poly or Grand Floridian has breakfast ADR's at MK, or the Keys to the Kingdom tour, do they have to take the small boats to get there regardless of the weather? That even applies to people that stay offsite. They can still have ADR's or have set up a tour. I haven't gone until after it opened for years now, so I am not there that early, I have no first hand knowledge.
The MK resort monorail runs much earlier. It's just the one that goes from the TTC. I wonder, though, if it's possible to catch the resort monorail from the TTC earlier or if they simply don't stop at the TTC until 30 minutes before opening. It's been so long since I've been there, that I really have no idea.

Goofyernmost

The MK resort monorail runs much earlier. It's just the one that goes from the TTC. I wonder, though, if it's possible to catch the resort monorail from the TTC earlier or if they simply don't stop at the TTC until 30 minutes before opening. It's been so long since I've been there, that I really have no idea.
Good question, I would think that it does, but, that isn't backed by any proof. There must be a way to find out. I just don't know where it can be found. I cannot fathom that there is no way across for those that have, like I said, ADR or Tours scheduled and don't stay onsite. One way of the other I doubt that they would leave people looking for transportation no matter how much it is said that Disney no longer cares. If they offer something they have to have a way for people to get to it.

EDIT: I just looked it up on the "Info" section of this board and it says that the resort Monorail starts at 7am and the ferry's start 1 hour before opening. It is a little vague, but, it does list that the monorail runs from the TTC and doesn't appear to show any exception. It only specifically states that the express Monorail starts half and hour before park opening.

Last edited:

MickeyLuv'r

There’s no one all-purpose answer. It is often a matter of personal preferences. It also depends a good deal on your starting point, destination, and any place you plan to go in-between.

If you use WDW transportation, then you won’t have to worry about having a designated driver. Other times, WDW’s free transportation takes considerably longer than driving. Still, some folks love using Uber of the new Minnie vans.

Whenever we have tested our options, (some of us driving and some taking the bus/monorail/boat) the car people almost always arrive sooner than the bus/boat/monorail group, except the obvious exceptions- like walking from BC/YC over to Epcot.

If you are traveling between CR/Poly/GF, then the monorail is often fastest/easiest.

Alas though, there are a wide number of variables that can make a big difference.

disneyworlddad

We're staying at Port Orleans: French Quarter. Probably not park-hopping much, but there will be a couple of days when we leave a park mid-day and come back later on. This is the first time I will have driven down there. I never had a problem with buses in the past, but the huge crowds have me wondering if driving to the parks would be more reliable, especially in the mornings.

We stayed at Pork Orleans a couple of years ago and my brother and family stayed there this summer. They took the buses everwhere and lvoed it but they flew in and had never been to Disney before. When we stayed there it was our third trip to the world and we had always stayed offsite before. We drove to each park except magic kingdom. I think it has a real advantage not having to deal with TTC and then monorail or ferry. Case in point, we met my brother and family at MK one night when they were there. We both left at the same time as park was closing. They were back at the resort before we made it to TTC.

carnini

We're staying at Port Orleans: French Quarter. Probably not park-hopping much, but there will be a couple of days when we leave a park mid-day and come back later on. This is the first time I will have driven down there. I never had a problem with buses in the past, but the huge crowds have me wondering if driving to the parks would be more reliable, especially in the mornings.
Stayed there several times, I always take WDW transportation. Part of our vacation is not having to drive, and worry about parking. After a long day at the park, the last thing we want to do is find our car and figure out how to go home. Especially true at Epcot, want to be able to try some of the specialty cocktails, and not worry about driving.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom