People trashing the parks

GVentola

I have a phobia of trash (forget what that phobia is called, but it is a thing). I get grossed out at all the litter at the parks, but I can't clean other's people trash up because that is even more disgusting for me. My phobia started when I was a little girl, and it started at Disney. I saw someone walking with toilet paper attached to her heel, and I thought that was so gross that to this day I walk with my head facing the floor/ground, making sure I don't step on any litter. Bad for my posture, I know.
Sometimes if I see a custodian in a Disney ladies' room, I'll thank her for the heroic job she does. Once I chose to walk the Magic Kingdom parking lot instead of taking the tram, and at the islands where there are some grass, trees, drainage ditches, and waterfowl, I noticed a ton of cigarette butts. Don't know if anybody ever thinks of cleaning them up, but it would be appreciated.

WEDwaydatamover

People can be pigs but my reason for chiming in was the place looked like hell at 9AM. Crews had all night to clean things up. Is Georgie ever out and about seeing things from a guests perspective or is he safely shuffled about with blinders on? This falls squarely on his padded shoulders. I'm sorry but it's a shame on him.

Sonconato

I have a phobia of trash (forget what that phobia is called, but it is a thing). I get grossed out at all the litter at the parks, but I can't clean other's people trash up because that is even more disgusting for me. My phobia started when I was a little girl, and it started at Disney. I saw someone walking with toilet paper attached to her heel, and I thought that was so gross that to this day I walk with my head facing the floor/ground, making sure I don't step on any litter. Bad for my posture, I know.
Sometimes if I see a custodian in a Disney ladies' room, I'll thank her for the heroic job she does. Once I chose to walk the Magic Kingdom parking lot instead of taking the tram, and at the islands where there are some grass, trees, drainage ditches, and waterfowl, I noticed a ton of cigarette butts. Don't know if anybody ever thinks of cleaning them up, but it would be appreciated.
Whenever someone does a good job cleaning, I let Guest Services know every time, and they write down my praise. Needless to say, I don't do it much.

Phantom Mickey

I agree it is disrespectful and disgusting to trash the parks or anywhere for that matter. Is it more noticeable because more people are doing it or because of the cuts to maintenance?

Its both I think. But we were always able to find the Disney resorts spic and span. There always was enough cast members to pick up after the pigs, then again, I don't think it was as bad as it is now, I could be wrong.
Now I don't want to put all the blame on the Disney cast member cuts but I do believe that as the last couple of generations of people have began coming to the park, 20 years back or more, the Guests have really gotten lazy and everything ends up on the walk way. And yes, the adults are bad. could it be these adults never grew up and as their kids grew and learned from their parents, they picked up the same dirty lazy habits??
Disney does not actively hand out the Park maps anymore but you can take one at the entrances. They simply said when they gave them to the guests, the park maps were becoming a major source of park pollution... nice term but I understood what they ment. Frankly, I don't see the new group of guests bothering to use Push the trash can, any time soon as the walk way is way too convenient.

Phantom Mickey

not trying to put it on Americans but that picture is just an embarassment either way.

No, not just Americans but all people that live in these States. I used to work at a Sports Park, we had Football, Soccer and Softball. I won't even mention what they did to the bathrooms, but the grounds, the parking lots, everywhere they sat they left trash and beer cans all over on the ground. Beer is not allowed but you know how people follow rules.
Do note that more than adequate numbers of trash and recycle containers are available.
The big games were on Weekends so on Monday the maintenance crews HAD to take the time to clean up the trash.
It's just the way things are going.

UberPlannerMom

When he spots a litterbug my son has been known to pick it up, take it to the person and tell them, "I know sometimes it's hard to find a trashcan but I spotted one for you. It's right over there. Here's your trash so you can use it!" And he does it with a smile! Haha!

That said, it is everyone's fault. The guests, both young and old, should take care of their own trash. Additionally, the cast members should take pride in the place that they work. That seems to be a quality that has fallen by the wayside. I have taken to watching Hotel Hell lately and it seems that every episode Gordon Ramsey will ask an employee, "when was the last time this was cleaned?" To which they invariably respond with some variation of I don't know. Well, Bucko, you should know. If you are the chef, I don't care if you don't own the place, you should very well know when the oil was changed! If you are the front desk person you should know when last the "for purchase'" supplies were rotated! I have never had a job where my work area was disgusting, not because my boss cleaned up for me or sent a special cleaning person around, but because I would hate to have myself represented by filth!

So yes, I blame the guests for their behavior but I have definitely become saddened by the lack of pride people take in their work now, no matter the pay.

The Empress Lilly

Disney doesn't respect its parks, Disney doesn't respect its employees, Disney doesn't respect its customers, what's more aims for those customers lowest on the cultural ladder. An ordinary amusement park for trashy people, this is what you get.

To think that thirty years ago not even a cigarette bud would survive for more than ten seconds on the ground before it was sweeped up.

Goofyernmost

Post script: My parents went to Disneyland in the early 1970's, and they were impressed how spotless it was. They were eating and some scrap of something fell to the ground, and a custodian was there immediately to sweep it up. Sounds dreamy.
You are probably going to hate this, but, the reason for that was because of those evil smokers. Hoards of Custodial were needed to be sure that every time a cigarette dropped to the ground it was immediately picked up. They also used to run the trolley's all day so the horses had to be cleaned up after. So, consequently, there were more CM's around to pick up stuff then now.

They shouldn't need that many people out there now because we don't have those two forces to deal with, so now, people have to be more able to try and keep things clean themselves. Unfortunately, they don't.

Nastory4

there's no excuse for it! It makes me sick. And I call people out on it when I see it done in the parks (not home in NJ, cause NJ is a gigantic garbage can but that's another topic lol)

On my last trip in January, I saw 3 people drop an empty bottle and every single one of them said the same thing when I chased them down and pointed out the nearest garbage can, "oh, I didn't see it".... how badly I wanna tell them that I was born at night, but I wasn't born last night.

What is it, 1 garbage can every 50 feet!?

(side note: history has been made! My 1,000th post!)

I myself have no problem calling people out when I see disrespect for someone else's property. Littering, pushing, etc. ruins the over all experience, and my DD gets embarrassed when I say something to the people. Being a Jersey boy, I have learned respect. I am unsure of where you live that you consider "NJ a gigantic garbage can" but up here in North Jersey on the Ramapo Mountain, I enjoy our beautiful state and it's people.

steviej

I myself have no problem calling people out when I see disrespect for someone else's property. Littering, pushing, etc. ruins the over all experience, and my DD gets embarrassed when I say something to the people. Being a Jersey boy, I have learned respect. I am unsure of where you live that you consider "NJ a gigantic garbage can" but up here in North Jersey on the Ramapo Mountain, I enjoy our beautiful state and it's people.

Very north Bergen County.

jloucks

This makes me sick, and also all the rude people pushing in crowds and in stores/attractions. The other day I actually picked up other peoples trash while in line for "Dinosaur" because I was tired of seeing it!
I'll do that too, often times passive aggressively as I do it right In front of the offender. If I'm really in a mood I'll hand it back to the person. Did that with a neatly wrapped poo diaper that a person conveniently forgot on a retaining wall after the change was complete.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom