People Mover/Rocket Rods

JackSkellington

Original Poster
Does anyone remember the old PM? It used to ride through the TRON movie, it had the battle sequence with those discs. Then for some time Disney remodeled it. All the ride became was a tour through Tomorrowland. :( After the ride never worked because of the curse, they tried the Rocket Rods. What after 3 weeks it never worked. I was there seven times waiting for it to work. But as usual it didn't. So what now does anyone remember. And whatabout the curse.............:zipit:

cloudboy

Do both Disneyland and Walt Disney World use Linear Induction Motors, or does the Florida version use Linear synchronous Motors?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
JackSkellington - you are thinking of the DLC PM. Florida dosn`t have any speed tunnels.

Cloudboy - Florida TTA/WEDway uses LIM. Disneyland had powered wheels set into the track that propelled the cars along - invented for the 1964 NYWF for Disneys Ford Magic Skyway pavillion.

maelstrom

Unfortunately, I don't remember Disneyland's People Mover. I think it was there during my first trip, though (1996, before they redid Tomorrowland). I remember Rocket Rods, though. Awesome ride, it was. I rode it two or three times and had to wait on line for about 1.5 - 2 hours for it. The queue is what I remember most. Part of it used the old Circlevision 360 theatre and one part (maybe the same part) had old Rocket Jets, People Mover, Monorail, etc cars in it, painted blue with dayglo orange to look like blueprints. They recently sold this People Mover car on eBay.

JackSkellington

Original Poster
To all those who read this I was indeed talking about D-Land California. And thanks to all who love and hate me.

"And since I am dead I can take off my head"-Jack Skellington

cloudboy

Interesting. Did they upgrade it for the Rocekt Rods? I heard they had terrible reliability, and I always wondered why the Florida system ran so much smoother.

JackSkellington

Original Poster
In DL the PM's were indeed upgraded. However the track was rebuilt in places so it could go all along TMLand. It ran over the auotopia, (the most excellent of rides) and near the astro orbiter.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
cloudboy - DLCs PM was updated for RR. They updated the path the rods travelled on, updated the power (busbar) system, and fitted the tubular track. They just forgo to update the track structure itself, and didn`t put inclines on the bends ($$$) - hence the rods tore themselves apart, and the track support towers started to crack. $50m down the tubes `cause management wouldn`t listen to WDI.

JackSkellington

Original Poster
Thanks 1971 for the info. We really do appreciate the info people send to the forum. But remember this is in the spirit of the PM/RR

cloudboy

Then I AM confused. I was originally under the impression that both the Disneyland and Walt Disney World versions used some kind of linear motor, on rubber wheels with guide wheels along the edge. I have never seen the disneyland version in person, mind you. I then thought that for the Rocket Rods they simply upped the speed and made a tilting base, but they put it on tubular track?

The reason I am asking this is because the technology has been used elsewhere, including one of Hitachi's Metro systems, which I can't imagine the Rocket Rods are any faster than. Interesting how Disneyland has had such a problem with the peoplemover system.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Disneylands PM had vertical sets of powered wheels set in the track bed to propel the cars along - the cars also had wheels on which they rode (like a regular car)

WDWs PM used (and TTA stll does use) Linear Induction for propulsion where a constant row of magnets is set in the floor. Each magnet attracts the magnetic base of the car towarsds it in turn, then as its passed reverses polarity to give its a `push` along. Or something like that. I do know the WDW cars virtually levitate on the magnets - the original boast was the only moving parts of the whole car were the sliding doors.

JackSkellington

Original Poster
Wow, thanks marni for the info. Sheesh you would think you worked on the PM, yes, no? Oh well. Seems everyone remembers the old PM. But how many people rode the Rocket Rods (RR) I saw one post, but more will come.:sohappy:

"Yeah....Weird."-Kronk
"No touchie, no touching."-Cusco

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Your are welcome. Nope...I`ve never been a CM. Just a park fan obsessed with the tech side of things who has done a LOT of research!!

cloudboy

Seems to me that this could be rebuilt. There are a ton of PRT and GRT companies out there, that really need a chance to show off their product. This would be a perfect place - they could install a demo system utilizing the People Mover track, and Disney would have a ride. I am assuming here that the track was not converted to tubular rail like a normal coaster, then.

What about some of these MagLev companies that are looking to provide a maglev transit system?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
He he.....as many books as I can find and collect, as many rare video and TV shows i get, and hours on the web.

I first went to WDW in `79 at the tender age of 7 (see pic on left) and have just been obsessed with the place ever since. Plus I`m into technology and the two can go hand in hand.

JackSkellington

Original Poster
Boy isnt that the truth. I am very pleased to meet you, im Jack and you have really been great to work with. I have a new forum in the Imanganeer section. Please tell me what you think will work, and help get the project off the ground. And by the way, I heard buzz lightyear is moving to DL. Is it true?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom