People Do Like Downtown Disney

s8film40

I have never specifically looked for anything that gives a positive outlook on DTD, but if the only thing you managed to find was published by the Convention and Visitors Bureau that really says a lot in itself. The sole purpose of bureaus like this and tourism boards is to promote local attractions to help the tourism industry. It is expected and required for them to give a positive outlook on local attractions.

djkidkaz

You know what it is, just different tastes for different people. When I was younger I loved DTD and going to PI. As I aged and got tired of the club scene and music that part of DTD was lost on me. The West Side never really had much to draw repeat visits. Theres only so many times you can go into the magic shop or the shop that had the vintage movie stuff. Virgin Megastore was ok, but you can see the products in their anywhere. The only side that I even visit is the Marketplace. I use this as my place to shop during my vacation. When at the parks, I don't spend much time in the shops as Im just enjoying the atmosphere and the attractions.

Not sure about this whole Hyperion Wharf thing. It seems like they are just repurposing the clubs they keep into dining options and then they'll have magicians, stilt walkers and fire breathers roaming around, which you can already see at the Boardwalk.

I still say they should put some rides in DTD. Stuff like the Silly Symphony Swings and the Mickey Ferris Wheel would be perfect. It replaces the club atmosphere with a romance atmosphere. Here in Chicago we have Navy Pier which is used by people of all ages for a night of romance, young and old. It would give you a whole night of stuff to do. Have dinner, walk around some of the shops and take a ride on the ferris wheel.

T-1MILLION

It is a Disney shopping area. A massive Disney themed mall. As of right now that is really all one can say about it.

It serves its business purpose for people wanting to buy things.

Not for me anymore. Down in Fort Myers we have a Disney warehouse that sells tons of theme park merchandise right down to mainstreet popcorn. It takes a lot of the magic out of it and when I do want something they still make a buck off me, but not nearly as much as if it were special.

Unless I ever want to return to Disneyquest or Cirque, I have no need or much desire to head over there. I used to purchase some of my magic stuff from Magic Masters, but they are way overpriced.

lebeau

Where's the news? Where's the rumors?

Oh well. I'll play along until the thread gets moved.

My wife loves Downtown Disney. My oldest daughter (almost 5 at the time) preferred DTD to MK. One of the highlights of the trip for her was the folded t-shirts outside the Hanes store. She liked to climb on them and called it "playing in the laundry".

We've had a lot of good times at DTD without ever having set foot in PI. So while I may be critical of some aspects of DTD and the new HW (and certainly the way PI was handled), I actually do enjoy going to DTD sometimes.

Ignohippo

I absolutely love the Marketplace. The place has a great atmosphere and the best Disney shops in the country. We used to go to the West Side all the time, but we really don't go there at all any more. Still, there are some great things in the West Side as well.

It's funny, to make it perfect, they really need one more good non-themed restaurant (like Puck's) down in the Marketplace, and need a large retail anchor in the West Side.

If they truly want synergy between the three areas, they really need to spread out the types of offerings they have. Right now, there's a definite difference.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
If you are only referring to The Marketplace, then you are right. People do like DTD. However, I do not know anyone who really digs abandoned buildings in the middle of an "entertainment district".

RobBlock

I like the fact that you don't have to pay to go there and it's a quick stop off of I-4. When I'm in Florida for business, I can stop for a lunch or dinner at Raglan Road. Strongbow on tap and shepard's pie - what's not to like about that?

rstaut

Maybe I'm just easy to please but I really enjoy DTD! We love eating at Wolfgang Puck Express. It's gotta be the best CS credit spent!

GOT2SAMMIES

Ghirardelli's sundae!
I love DTD! I dont understand why people dont like it...Yes, I LOVED PI! But I have accepted the changes and moved on.... I like all the shops and the LEGO store is a must each time we are down.... One spring break we were in FL visiting my mom and we were not going to the parks:eek:.. The money and time was not there... So what did I do? Drove 45 miles to DTD walked around and shopped and then drove the 45 miles back to the house... How could I be so close and not do anything disney! it satisfied my disney craving until the summer when I returned!

Mongomil

For me Downtown is fun. I am a people watcher so sitting around watching people busy around is pretty fun. Now the food for me is another pro. We love eating at Wolfgang Puck Express also. I am a huge video gammer so the Quest is a full days adventure for me. La Nuba was a great show that I will not forget anytime soon for sure. LEGO land is fun for a bit playing with the toys and kids. There imagination is a blast. Dont forget to get a pearl while there also another good keepsake. My teenage daughter thought it was good also. She liked how each store has its own theme. They are not all simular. So overall we really enjoy that area.

jt04

Where's the news? Where's the rumors?

Oh well. I'll play along until the thread gets moved.

My wife loves Downtown Disney. My oldest daughter (almost 5 at the time) preferred DTD to MK. One of the highlights of the trip for her was the folded t-shirts outside the Hanes store. She liked to climb on them and called it "playing in the laundry".

We've had a lot of good times at DTD without ever having set foot in PI. So while I may be critical of some aspects of DTD and the new HW (and certainly the way PI was handled), I actually do enjoy going to DTD sometimes.

Great thread!

Keep in mind HW is only a first step to fix decades old issues of crowd flow, accessability etc. There are even aspects of HW that they said they were not ready to announce yet. So ultimately HW is a foundation that will allow DTD to have a great future. And it already is very good.

plaz10

As someone who was never old enough to experience Pleasure Island (20 years old when they closed it! :cry:) I still very much enjoy DTD. It's a great place to experience some Disney magic on arrival/departure days without wasting a park ticket on half a day. I really enjoy the shopping. They have some nice eateries (earl of sandwich, ghiradelli, wolfgang puck express) and they also have make your own rice krispie treat/cookie/pretzel at Goofys Candy Kitchen! That alone usually takes us there twice on a trip. Plus if you go during the day, it's not very crowded. You can browse the shops peacefully and enjoy some nice people watching.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom