Pecos Bill New Kiosks

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I notice on the top it says credit card and disney dining plan only...I thought DDP wasn't going to be there and I thought we could use our room keys if we're charging to our room :veryconfu

You can use Dining Plan, room charge, or credit card. :)

Slowjack

Another cost-cutting measure. At any store I use, when they have put in self check-out (not exactly the same as self-ordering) they have reduced the number of cashiers. This means that at most times of the day you have to use self check-out to get the same service time you got before. So I use them, but then at Home Depot I'm not there for the service, unlike WDW.

A well-trained cashier should always be as fast or faster than self ordering. If they kept the same number of cashiers and added the kiosks, I would be in favor of it as another option, but that's not going to happen.

BRER STITCH

Hmmmm...in order for this to work as an "Express Line", they should have one set up to take JUST Burger Meal Orders with no "exceptions".

KIOSK: "How many Meal Deals would you like today?"

GUEST: "4"

KIOSK: "Total is $24, please swipe card now.

GUEST: (swipes cards)

KIOSK: "Please take receipt and pick up order at window 2. Thank you and enjoy the rest of your day at WDW!"

That would at least get those people out of line pretty quick!

:sohappy:

mousermerf

Account Suspended
They do sometimes cut down the menu choices on busy days. For example, Japan's quick serve on NYE was only selling Bento Boxes and drinks. You got beef, chicken, a salad, some rice, and maybe a cookie. I forget, but it was basic, and all other menu items had been eliminated.

StageFrenzy

Original Poster
They remind me of the southwest airlines kiosks, the southwest kiosks are great till you get behind someone computer illiterate.

Epcot82Guy

When it comes down to this, it is staff cutting (or should be). One cashier SHOULD be able to man 4-6 kiosks. But, I agree, you cannot get rid of the cashier all together. As with everything... it just takes time.

I wonder if people had this much trouble with the Earth Station kiosks. :lol:

Champion

When it comes down to this, it is staff cutting (or should be). One cashier SHOULD be able to man 4-6 kiosks. But, I agree, you cannot get rid of the cashier all together. As with everything... it just takes time.

Yes it is, and normally that would be a bad thing.

However, with WDW's problems with staffing, this means that the cashiers can be used in other locations, and maybe for other jobs as well.

JROK

They have kiosks like these at a few McDonalds in the Orlando area and they seem to work very well. Although with their's, you're able to customize your order. Maybe Disney should get the same company to write the software.

Epcot82Guy

However, with WDW's problems with staffing, this means that the cashiers can be used in other locations, and maybe for other jobs as well.

Which was my intended point. Sorry for burrying it. :lol:

And, when it comes down to it, this is an area that can take the cut, IMHO. While personal service is nice, if you can automate something, and it makes the park feel less understaffed, I am all for it... especially if it helps weed out some bad apples. I'll take a friendly recorded kiosk any day over a grumpy non-magical CM.

Slowjack

It's true that they could be used in other locations and jobs, but I don't see this happening. Do you? I think that if it's a way to reduce staff and reduce costs, putting the same staff on other positions wouldn't save any money, so it's not going to happen. Again, when I see self check-out in Home Depot, I don't think I'm getting improved service somewhere else in return.

And let's be clear...WDW has a staffing problem because they don't pay that well. If they paid enough money, they could get the quality and quantity of staff needed. That, of course, would cost them profit.

magicfan

where is the Pecos Bill Restaraunt located? i don't recall seeing it anywhere in the MK.:shrug:

Right by Country Bear's in Frontierland

I think they are a good idea. People who know what they want find them very efficient.

I don't know if all realize this, so, it's not at all like these kiosks are how the majority orders. There are four kiosks to use, and seven other registers you can order at. As mentioned before, during the busiest parts of the day, all the registers have pretty long lines. So most guests are thrilled at virtually no wait at the kiosks.

That's the one negative though is the limitations. As stated, you can't really customize orders. Also, you can't pay cash.

All in all, however, it seems to be going pretty well so far.

Slowjack

Right by Country Bear's in Frontierland

I think they are a good idea. People who know what they want find them very efficient.

I don't know if all realize this, so, it's not at all like these kiosks are how the majority orders. There are four kiosks to use, and seven other registers you can order at. As mentioned before, during the busiest parts of the day, all the registers have pretty long lines. So most guests are thrilled at virtually no wait at the kiosks.

That's the one negative though is the limitations. As stated, you can't really customize orders. Also, you can't pay cash.

All in all, however, it seems to be going pretty well so far.
It certainly isn't true that "most guests" are thrilled, because if most guests used the kiosks, they would be slower than the regular lines, not faster. That the kiosks have "virtually no wait" is an indication that most guests aren't using them. At the point where equal numbers of guests use a kiosk versus a cashier, the waits would be equal, unless we are thinking that the kiosk is faster than a cashier for the same order--I would really doubt this.

magicfan

It certainly isn't true that "most guests" are thrilled, because if most guests used the kiosks, they would be slower than the regular lines, not faster. That the kiosks have "virtually no wait" is an indication that most guests aren't using them. At the point where equal numbers of guests use a kiosk versus a cashier, the waits would be equal, unless we are thinking that the kiosk is faster than a cashier for the same order--I would really doubt this.

By most guests, I mean most guests that use the kiosks. Sorry for not clarifying.

And there are four of the kiosks right by each other. So one line forms for the four kiosks. The line that goes 10 feet back for the kiosks will go much quicker than the 10 foot line for the registers, since there are 4 spots than can open up.

I was in Pecos Bill's twice this past week and didn't even notice them! Of course, I was coralling are rowdy children while dh ordered our food.

BTW, no CMs were preventing guests from holding tables at PBs (or anywhere else, for that matter) as posted two weeks ago on this board. I guess this strategy was NOT a success.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom