Paying OOP for first time! Are we wrong to try this????

bethymouse

@DisneyDebNJ How r ya doing? I agree with you. The DDP is a convenience. It used to be about "saving money", but that doesn't happen anymore. LOL.:) To each his own, but I don't always want an appetizer. If I do, I just order it, and pay for it. Overall, it just saves having to worry so much about the $$$ you spend on vacation.:D You know if you're going to Disney, then you're going to spend $$$$$$ IMHO.:D

DisneyDebNJ

@DisneyDebNJ How r ya doing? I agree with you. The DDP is a convenience. It used to be about "saving money", but that doesn't happen anymore. LOL.:) To each his own, but I don't always want an appetizer. If I do, I just order it, and pay for it. Overall, it just saves having to worry so much about the $$$ you spend on vacation.:D You know if you're going to Disney, then you're going to spend $$$$$$ IMHO.:D
I'm doing good Bethy! how are you and yours? We actually do well with the DDP, especially with the snack credits during F&W. We would rather the appetizers in most restaurants than the dessert, so it kind of made sense for us. But, I do like the convenience, what $$$$ I bring down is spent on cocktails and stuff for my kitchen :)

FrostyNaples

We are 2 adults so it's just us for dining. We are in our 60's and find we don't eat 2 big meals a day, just one a day and snacks are fine with us. We have always used the free dining, and never paid out of pocket. So I am concerned that we will be missing out on ? I've looked at some of the menu's and think we could save money without the dining plan. What have other's found out to be true for them???? Do you prefer paying OOP or use the dining plan? Esp adults only? Thanks:)

We've done the DDP a few times and on our last trip mixed it up a bit.

The last trip had zero ADR's, we wanted to browse the entire park(s) instead of be tied down to "Appointments".

It worked out great, we tried many more snacks sharing everything, and came out well on top cost wise. We didn't do any TS meals, only QS, and again shared meals.

The slower pace was great.

Would we do DDP again? Yes, if we have another more structured visit. I think in this regards it fits well.

SAV

We did QS free dining promo one trip and my wife loved it, so we paid for it the next trip. We ended up having to stock up on snacks at the Main St. Bakery at 11:00pm the night we checked out so we didn't lose them. This was when it was 2 snack credits per day, but it seemed like we were just having to get things because I paid for it. There were also some meals that I ate, but wasn't really hungry...because I paid for it. I was feeling stuffed and uncomfortable some of the time. We had also had several times where we were throwing away most of the pop that came with the meal because it was just too much. We would have been more than fine with water at some of the meals. And since a dessert came with each meal(not the best dessert), I found that I wasn't eating the good snacks that I really wanted because I was stuffed. Yes, I understand I didn't have to eat all of that or could have gotten water, but I just couldn't waste it since I was paying for it. It's just not in my DNA to do that.

My wife kept track of every receipt and it was basically a wash for the food we had gotten.

We prefer the freedom to eat or not eat a meal and to get whatever we want at the time. I don't see why pre-paying for the food is such a big deal to some. You are still paying for it. And now with the MB, it's just tap it, pin it and eat it.

NonnaT

We are 2 adults something it's just us for dining. We are in our 60's and find we don't eat 2 big meals a day, just one a day and snacks are fine with us. We have always used the free dining, and never paid out of pocket. So I am concerned that we will be missing out on ? I've looked at some of the menu's and think we could save money without the dining plan. What have other's found out to be true for them???? Do you prefer paying OOP or use the dining plan? Esp adults only? Thanks:)
We are 2 adults, also in our 60s (relatively speaking-all bets are off at WDW!) And we have now been using the dining plan every single trip since 2006! We really enjoy at least 1 signature dinner each trip. We find it works for us, we usually do an early snack breakfast (very early-before rope drop) then have an ADR lunch/buffet. We then have a late dinner. It works for us and we enjoy the leisurely dinner pace as well as choosing different restaurants to try... I know also that our food is budgeted so I don't have to worry if I'm overspending. Hope this helps, you may find the opposite to be true for you!

Minnesota disney fan

Original Poster
We are 2 adults, also in our 60s (relatively speaking-all bets are off at WDW!) And we have now been using the dining plan every single trip since 2006! We really enjoy at least 1 signature dinner each trip. We find it works for us, we usually do an early snack breakfast (very early-before rope drop) then have an ADR lunch/buffet. We then have a late dinner. It works for us and we enjoy the leisurely dinner pace as well as choosing different restaurants to try... I know also that our food is budgeted so I don't have to worry if I'm overspending. Hope this helps, you may find the opposite to be true for you!

Yes, Nonna, we've always done the ddp just like you! But this year we are trying it OOP. I've got to say that I feel liberated not to have to get to a certain park at a certain time to eat, if we are hungry or not. I was getting tired of all this for the past couple of years, and we always missed our last 2 or 3 adr's simply because we didn't want to go to the designated park, too tired, or just plain too managed?? I have made 3 adr's at our favorite TS places, just because we like them and look forward to them. However, I am looking more forward to trying new QS places that I've been reading about. It will be nice to be at, say, AK and decide we are hungry and will eat at the Hambre restaurants (QS), or ??? I will write a trip report and let everyone know if it worked out for us. thanks for the imput:)

NonnaT

Yes, Nonna, we've always done the ddp just like you! But this year we are trying it OOP. I've got to say that I feel liberated not to have to get to a certain park at a certain time to eat, if we are hungry or not. I was getting tired of all this for the past couple of years, and we always missed our last 2 or 3 adr's simply because we didn't want to go to the designated park, too tired, or just plain too managed?? I have made 3 adr's at our favorite TS places, just because we like them and look forward to them. However, I am looking more forward to trying new QS places that I've been reading about. It will be nice to be at, say, AK and decide we are hungry and will eat at the Hambre restaurants (QS), or ??? I will write a trip report and let everyone know if it worked out for us. thanks for the imput:)
I will absolutely be looking forward to your TR! Maybe you will convert me! Lol!

Tom P.

I know many people say that ditching the dining plan and taking one of the other offers available usually makes more financial sense, but for us, I'm just not seeing it.

On our next trip, we will be there for 10 days/9 nights. We will be staying in a family suite at Art of Animation. We booked it with the free dining deal, which means we paid rack rate for the room. We also paid to upgrade to the standard dining plan instead of quick serve.

I just went and priced the package several other ways. I did the room discount that's currently being offered, I did the Magic For the Whole Family Package that's being offered, and I did the Late Summer Preschool Package Offer that's also being offered. In all those cases, I priced it exactly the same way as we have now (same park tickets, Memory Maker, etc.) but didn't include any dining plan.

In all three cases, even with the paid upgrade to standard dining, going with those other packages instead of free dining only saved us about $661. Now, we are a family of 7. Two adults, five children. Over the course of 10 days at Disney World, if we were paying out of pocket, I know we would spend a *lot* more money than $661 on food. I mean, that's only $66.10 per day for our entire family to eat on. So it's not even a contest that free dining is the best deal for us.

Are the numbers I'm crunching wrong in some way? Is my logic off? Does the fact that we have a large family make that big of a difference? Why is it that free dining is so obviously a big savings for us, while others are saying it always costs them more.

Minnesota disney fan

Original Poster
I know many people say that ditching the dining plan and taking one of the other offers available usually makes more financial sense, but for us, I'm just not seeing it.

On our next trip, we will be there for 10 days/9 nights. We will be staying in a family suite at Art of Animation. We booked it with the free dining deal, which means we paid rack rate for the room. We also paid to upgrade to the standard dining plan instead of quick serve.

I just went and priced the package several other ways. I did the room discount that's currently being offered, I did the Magic For the Whole Family Package that's being offered, and I did the Late Summer Preschool Package Offer that's also being offered. In all those cases, I priced it exactly the same way as we have now (same park tickets, Memory Maker, etc.) but didn't include any dining plan.

In all three cases, even with the paid upgrade to standard dining, going with those other packages instead of free dining only saved us about $661. Now, we are a family of 7. Two adults, five children. Over the course of 10 days at Disney World, if we were paying out of pocket, I know we would spend a *lot* more money than $661 on food. I mean, that's only $66.10 per day for our entire family to eat on. So it's not even a contest that free dining is the best deal for us.

Are the numbers I'm crunching wrong in some way? Is my logic off? Does the fact that we have a large family make that big of a difference? Why is it that free dining is so obviously a big savings for us, while others are saying it always costs them more.

I agree, Tom. With a family of 7, I am positive you are saving money. But for 2 of us who are seniors, it is a different situation. If we liked going to a specific park for tS, then it would be for us too. But I guess we just got tired of running back to Epcot or MK just fo r meals. We felt those parks had the best TS offerings for us, so we booked more adr's their. I really think the amount of people in your party and their eating habits dictate whether the fdp is worth it or not. Definitely is worth it for you guys. But not for us anymore.

allgiggles

With a large family, free dining is often the best discount. We had free dining as a family of 5 and it saved us about $1100 on that trip. That was significantly better than any other discount offered at the time.

dreamfinder

It usually depends on the party size, and resort choice. Typically free dining for a family of 4 at a value is going to be better than a room discount. But for a couple at a deluxe, the room discount can often be a better option. Moderates can be a wash depending on the exact terms. 30% off of $150 is only $50, while 30% off $450 is $150. Not that there has been a 30% discount across the board for a while, but you get the idea.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom